Melbourne Football

City Kit

mcsoccer225

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and thought I'd sign up when I saw this thread.

I always thought that the red, white and sky blue was a great colour combination on flags at the games and scarves and that if possible it should be replicated in our playing strip. So I've thought for a while that an absolute class City kit would be very similar to Atletico Madrid's 2014-15 effort (a kit which I think is fantastic) with sky blue in place of the royal blue that Atletico use. So that would be red and white stripes on the body, a sky blue collar, either sky blue sleeves or a finish of sky blue on the cuff of the sleeve and sky blue shorts with either tri coloured striped socks of red, white and sky blue or just the sky blue ones we wear now.

It probably sounds silly just reading it but when you look at Atletico's kit and imagine sky blue in place of royal blue it would be class imo.

Edited by MCity
mistake
  • Like 1

Whilst not a kit idea for Melbourne City, I'd love to see Man City wear our current away strip as a third kit one year as an acknowledgement. Even the old riverplate stripe but in baby blue would do the trick. Just a nice way of acknowledging and bring the clubs closer together and showing it isn't all a one way relationship.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

After seeing Juric score 2 this morning against Heerenveen, I thought you guys would appreciate Heerenveen's kit. Blue stripes and red hearts.

413104779_a74778fd01.jpg

Not to bad :up: think it needs a few touches but like the idea of the hearts.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I think cfg might be willing to have a minimal amount of red on the home kit but a lot less than what people expect on here.

yes I know here I am again bashing red. But I am just being realistic

But apparently we are our own club! Surely we can put this forward when the FRG meet. 

7 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Not to bad :up: think it needs a few touches but like the idea of the hearts.

But apparently we are our own club! Surely we can put this forward when the FRG meet. 

Sure, nothing is stopping anyone putting it forward. But I am just being realistic to what they would accept, I think they would be defintily open to the stripes (like argintina) given heart had stripes and I think they might accept maybe one red heart somewhere on the kit. I doubt they would want red trim, stripe or what ever, but the heart is different given it was the emblem of pre CFG

32 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

It would be a huge gesture if MCFC could acknowledge Heart. Even if it's just putting the badge on a Heart or a single large heart on the back of the shirt or............

Considering the club has only referred to the Heart history as "the club that would become Melbourne City" we are a long way from them actually positively incorporating Heart as a part of the clubs identity.

2 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

Surely i can't be the only that pissed themselves laughing at that kit with the hearts all over it.

It's just too... cute.

Haha, I know what you mean. That said, they aren't hearts. They're water lilies, as per the flag of the province of Friesland.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/aP6hgyg.gif

(no fun allowed)

I know I've said it before, but I still hope that you get a more distinctive kit. The current kit is pretty meh (same as our kit that it was based on was) and for obvious reasons I hope you don't go with the sky blue. I'd like to see the red and white come back as the home kit, although I think I'd prefer the away kit to be something completely different, as opposed to the variations-on-a-theme, also-red-and-white kits you were using as your aways before.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Haha, I know what you mean. That said, they aren't hearts. They're water lilies, as per the flag of the province of Friesland.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/aP6hgyg.gif

(no fun allowed)

I know I've said it before, but I still hope that you get a more distinctive kit. The current kit is pretty meh (same as our kit that it was based on was) and for obvious reasons I hope you don't go with the sky blue. I'd like to see the red and white come back as the home kit, although I think I'd prefer the away kit to be something completely different, as opposed to the variations-on-a-theme, also-red-and-white kits you were using as your aways before.

I always thought they were lipstick kisses...must have sex on my mind. (At my age that's about the only place it is.)

Seriously, Falastur, what are the chances of us avoiding a drowning in sky-blue? The powers-that-be seem determined to pursue this "synergy" and "brand" theme. 

In a perfect world it would be great to get everything we want. Never really liked the stripes, more of a hoop or plain man. But if blue is what we end up with I can live with this as long as we have a kit that is ours. No navy and not a copy of ManC or NYC but a kit or our own. I would rather have a well run and good team than a fantastic kit. Would like to have a white top, coloured shorts and white socks with red and sky blue trim. Would love the sash to make a come back weather in red or sky blue or both. It Just want something that's ours and the team to be playing well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I always thought they were lipstick kisses...must have sex on my mind. (At my age that's about the only place it is.)

Seriously, Falastur, what are the chances of us avoiding a drowning in sky-blue? The powers-that-be seem determined to pursue this "synergy" and "brand" theme. 

I think the chances of avoiding sky-blue are higher now than previously. Given both the members survey and the non-returned members survey asked if the Man City connection was a problem, I think its something they will have to consider. Also don't forget a number of NYCFC fans are also not that happy with the Man City like strip (but not to the degree we are).

12 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I think the chances of avoiding sky-blue are higher now than previously. Given both the members survey and the non-returned members survey asked if the Man City connection was a problem, I think its something they will have to consider. Also don't forget a number of NYCFC fans are also not that happy with the Man City like strip (but not to the degree we are).

There is no chance we won't have a sky blue and white home kit. The best you can hope for is that it's a mix of white and sky blue and not all sky blue with white shorts and maybe some link back to heart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, morphine said:

Mentioned after the FRG meeting. 

"Next season's home jersey will be predominantly white, with some sky blue (and no navy). Next season's away jersey will be red and white. So over the next 22 months the club will have a predominantly white home jersey and a red and white away jersey. These jerseys and the club badge is one way the club is uniquely Melbourne, and not a "mini-Manchester" club

- "Long term" the club wants "more sky blue" on its jerseys. However it was clearly said that the club "doesn't want the same kit as Manchester""

Sounds more like what I thought

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

"Next season's home jersey will be predominantly white, with some sky blue (and no navy). Next season's away jersey will be red and white. So over the next 22 months the club will have a predominantly white home jersey and a red and white away jersey. These jerseys and the club badge is one way the club is uniquely Melbourne, and not a "mini-Manchester" club

- "Long term" the club wants "more sky blue" on its jerseys. However it was clearly said that the club "doesn't want the same kit as Manchester""

Sounds more like what I thought

I'm not sure what this means or what value there is in it?

Why I clearly don't want a Man City kit (more for its NSW association than its Man City association) I'm not sure how much sky blue I'd be happy with. I think I'm already at the limit with how much is in the stripe already.

Also if the shirt is less sky blue than Man City's in the end but all the training gear, branding and merchandise continues to be sky blue with the occasional navy blue that hasn't really solved the club being seen as a mostly Man City sky blue team.

• Like 2

On 17/12/2015, 00:36:40, jw1739 said:

Honestly? Not great, I'll admit it. That said, while CFG have been subtle as a sledge-hammer with some of their decisions in Melbourne and New York, they have made the occasional realisation after facing a barrage of complaints, so I hold out hope that if they are constantly met with a negative response to the sky blue kit idea then they will give up on it and go for something more restrained.

1 hour ago, Falastur said:

Honestly? Not great, I'll admit it. That said, while CFG have been subtle as a sledge-hammer with some of their decisions in Melbourne and New York, they have made the occasional realisation after facing a barrage of complaints, so I hold out hope that if they are constantly met with a negative response to the sky blue kit idea then they will give up on it and go for something more restrained.

I still think we will end up with something different to Manchester and New York. But it won't include red that's for sure.

I am still convinced that the best solution is a

white and sky blue striped kit. It provides what CFG are looking for and also has that nod to

the past that can distinguish Melbourne from the rest. Although I still think this identity thing is way over played. You can't make an identity, it something that develops over time. 

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I still think we will end up with something different to Manchester and New York. But it won't include red that's for sure.

I am still convinced that the best solution is a

white and sky blue striped kit. It provides what CFG are looking for and also has that nod to

the past that can distinguish Melbourne from the rest. Although I still think this identity thing is way over played. You can't make an identity, it something that develops over time. 

That's what I thought they might do originally. Honestly I think they may well keep the red and white stripes for some time yet, which - depending on your take on it - either increases or decreases the change that they would go with another striped kit for the home. Your suggestion does answer some questions, although I reckon they'd either go all for the full sky blue kit or just do something completely different. Still, I like the idea all the same.