Melbourne Football

City vs. Adelaide, Sunday 29th January, AAMI Park, K.O. 3.00 p.m.

jw1739

23 minutes ago, Zanty said:

his ability to score goals and press is so good that the fact he is not great in the build up is irrelevant

We wont get better at A League level, maybe back in day Smeltz or the orher unlikeable Berisha or Bruno before his broken ankle.

If he could be that player some are looking for he be 20+ million in a top 5 League. 

He will become the greatest scorer in A League history. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

This is crazy talk. 

To suggest we "sacrifice" JMAC is complete nonsense. 

Based on what and replace him with who? The bloke is on target to break records. 

I don't think that it is or was a serious suggestion, just a hypothetical.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

100% this. We are merely entrrtaining ideas.

4 hours ago, Zanty said:

his ability to score goals and press is so good that the fact he is not great in the build up is irrelevant

His pressing isn't the great tbh as he is very easy to evade when pressing (unless of course you are La Croix 🤣).  His goal scoring record is the key factor, but he is definitely a "second striker" type of player who would largely benefit from playing alongside a true number 9, but we are very unlikely to deviate from the CFG blueprint of 4231, hence the discussion of whether bringing in a lesser player that is more suited to our formation and style of play would bear more fruits overall, due to having a forward who would help us to break down teams who just sit in the box and concede to us 70% possession.

Given our greater committment to attacking play under Vidosic, we are naturally more exposed at the back (something I am comofrtable with). Therefore, we need to ensure that we are capable of breaking down teams as it looks like from now on teams are going to just sit deep and hit us on the counter.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

When we talk about taking our chances I just watched the highlights of the 7-0 Derby Demolition again. Oh boy, we were on fire that night, on the field and in the stands. Bring back the glory days!

The other thing that those highlights show is how important Adrian Luna was to our successes in the two seasons he was with us. I don't think we quite realised it at the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The other thing that those highlights show is how important Adrian Luna was to our successes in the two seasons he was with us. I don't think we quite realised it at the time.

Adrian Luna was a key cog in our team. He had the ability to make perfectly weighted balls in between the lines and he worked tirelessly.

I thi k alot of us thought that Berisha would be a like for like replacement (possibly even a step up), and to a large extent ge is, but he seems to lack that consistent killer ball that Luna was capable of.

• Like 2

On 31/01/2023 at 7:09 PM, jw1739 said:

Since we are on hypotheticals - what happens if JMac gets 5 yellows, a red or injury (two weeks)? Should Leckie or Nabbout play as a #9? I like Leckie playing more centrally without being a #9. Nabbout has lost some form. I wouldn't consider Tilio. Rafa?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Since we are on hypotheticals - what happens if JMac gets 5 yellows, a red or injury (two weeks)? Should Leckie or Nabbout play as a #9? I like Leckie playing more centrally without being a #9. Nabbout has lost some form. I wouldn't consider Tilio. Rafa?

It's precisely the sort of scenario that leads some of us to say that players such as Rafa (who has already scored for City) should get more minutes to better prepare him to step up when needed. For me he's the pretty obvious striker replacement. But you can't give him minutes when we're struggling to win matches. If we're 3-0 up and cruising with 20 to go then that's the sort of situation where I'd like to see him given his chance.

Leckie's OK, but Nabbout can't hit a barn door at the moment.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's precisely the sort of scenario that leads some of us to say that players such as Rafa (who has already scored for City) should get more minutes to better prepare him to step up when needed. For me he's the pretty obvious striker replacement. But you can't give him minutes when we're struggling to win matches. If we're 3-0 up and cruising with 20 to go then that's the sort of situation where I'd like to see him given his chance.

Leckie's OK, but Nabbout can't hit a barn door at the moment.

City has not been 3-0 up for a while. I think that even at 1-0 up at the 80 minute mark should suffice.