Melbourne Football

Vs nomad fc 7th January 7:45 KO

kingofhearts

Take a 4-0 win, 3 points and move on. As others have commented, we played well in the first half although the over-embroidery was tedious, but the second half we were disjointed, played far too much tippy-tappy and quite frankly the match became boring. If we'd just been a little more adventurous at moving the ball forward we could have scored 10. My best players were Tilio, JMac and Good. Didn't think anyone else was special, although the fourth goal was nicely worked and taken. Glover is just error-prone.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Take a 4-0 win, 3 points and move on. As others have commented, we played well in the first half although the over-embroidery was tedious, but the second half we were disjointed, played far too much tippy-tappy and quite frankly the match became boring. If we'd just been a little more adventurous at moving the ball forward we could have scored 10. My best players were Tilio, JMac and Good. Didn't think anyone else was special, although the fourth goal was nicely worked and taken. Glover is just error-prone.

Our second halves all season are mostly the same, a step back from the first half - this is irrespective of the scoreline and if it’s hot or cold. It’s a pattern with the Perth game being an exception.

But hey it’s working!

Edited by Mr MO

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Head and shoulders the best team in the league when healthy. 

Tilio and bos will not be here at the end of the season unfortunately  :( there too good for this league now.

It would be ideal if they both went to Troyes. 

Edited by TheStig

9 hours ago, TheStig said:

It would be ideal if they both went to Troyes. 

Bos progressed well under PK but Tilio not so much. Since the world cup where he was coached by Arnold and mentored by the other senior players plus under Rado, he has stepped up several notches. It would be ideal if both could have a training session at Man City though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Bos progressed well under PK but Tilio not so much. Since the world cup where he was coached by Arnold and mentored by the other senior players plus under Rado, he has stepped up several notches. It would be ideal if both could have a training session at Man City though.

As long as it's just training and assessment. Would prefer to see them signed direct by another CFG club rather than be farmed out by Manchester City. Don't want others to follow Arzani downhill.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 6:47 PM, Mr MO said:

@jw1739what’s the ruling again on having youth on the bench? Doesn’t look very young to me.

@Mr MOI checked up with the club on that. The article that was published after the Sydney FC rule transgression was misleading and is just another example of how communications could be improved with fans.

The rule states that a club can have 7 substitutes on the bench provided a minimum of 3 U-23 players eligible to play for Australia are included in the matchday squad. It doesn't matter whether they are on the bench or not. So Sutton, Gomulka, Bos and Tilio were all in the squad and thus we complied with the rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I do feel for some of the younger lads who would most likely get on the bench at most other clubs.

Our squad against Western had 5 U-23 players - Sutton, Bos, Tilio, Talbot and Gomulka. According to the club we are generally in the top 2-3 clubs in terms of U-23 players in the match-day squads. I'd like to see particularly Rafa get more match time, but we're top of the league and giving youth a chance at the same time so I'd say we have the balance about right.

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Our squad against Western had 5 U-23 players - Sutton, Bos, Tilio, Talbot and Gomulka. According to the club we are generally in the top 2-3 clubs in terms of U-23 players in the match-day squads. I'd like to see particularly Rafa get more match time, but we're top of the league and giving youth a chance at the same time so I'd say we have the balance about right.

agreed.  given our current form and league position, i feel its a tough one regarding youth players that are part of the extended squad.  we are obviously in a massively good position to win three straight titles (which would be an aleague first), so you want your best playing.  we have everything to play for - unlike some clubs were you can give the younger ones more match experience (particularly towards the end of the season) where there is less to play for.

so for me, i am very reserved about giving them game time for game times sake.  these players have to force their way through - show they really are up for it.  take Bos; its taken him a season and a half to force his way in (against the club captain too).  by doing so, he has shown that he isnt just flash in the pan player - instead he value adds so much ........  

but you are right in that you want these players coming through.  that means they are given match time throughout the campaign.  you look back at when we won the granny, it came off the back off three young players up front (Tilio, Colacovski, Atkinson) that the club back in so when when the Socceroos came knocking, we had three younger players ready to go.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I didn't realise that Talbot was 22 and an Australian citizen (dual nationality - Maltese).

It's a bit of a juggling act as you want the juniors to gain experience but you also want the seniors to also get match time just in case there is an injury and to also keep them happy. It's one of a few things that I'm liking about Rado compared to PK is that he's willing to use his bench and give them the responsibility to continue the good work from earlier. He's also not a micro manager from the sidelines which I reckon the team is responding to as they seem to play with more freedom and enjoyment. And the tactics appear closer to City philosophy although maybe that's just my view.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

It's a bit of a juggling act as you want the juniors to gain experience but you also want the seniors to also get match time just in case there is an injury and to also keep them happy. It's one of a few things that I'm liking about Rado compared to PK is that he's willing to use his bench and give them the responsibility to continue the good work from earlier. He's also not a micro manager from the sidelines which I reckon the team is responding to as they seem to play with more freedom and enjoyment. And the tactics appear closer to City philosophy although maybe that's just my view.

Fair point. Just makes me wonder if we have the next 'Tilio' coming through the ranks or not. 

32 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Fair point. Just makes me wonder if we have the next 'Tilio' coming through the ranks or not. 

We've got Rafa, Max Caputo (presently injured I think), Sulemani, Durakovic - just to name four who have been on our bench. I don't have any doubts that we have plenty of developing talent in our Academy.

For me the one weakness we have is our goalkeeping stocks. Tom Glover pulls off some good saves, but that's his job; I like a GK who commands that penalty box, and Glover just does not do that.