Melbourne Football

Home Derby - SAT 17th December 7:50PM

seamolyons

Glad you had a good sausage Bella - I presume it's not a metaphor. 

Blame for me on JVS. Starting Rose over Muscut against possibly the form player of the competition was suicide and Rojas continually caused us grief.  And our midfield shape - Troisi had a field day out there. Our midfield was AWOL for the match and nothing done to rectify it. They went in behind our makeshift defense so many times with easy through balls. Why Brattan and Colazo didn't sit in front of the back 4 to absorb pressure just bewildered me. The Man City way of possession based attacking football is all well and good, but when you have an opponent clearly up for a physical stoush and closing down space quickly and aggressively, sometimes a pragmatic approach to absorb some pressure and sit patiently a bit deeper is required. We were getting flogged and they went in behind us so many times in the first half it was amazing we were still in the game. "Playing the game our way and on our terms" is all well and good when you're flying - but we have a team out of form, down on key personnel and having a run of average results. Tighten up the ship and go back to basics would seem to be in order, but what I saw was a shapeless rabble. That comes from the manager.  Can JVS actually adjust a plan?? The comments above re possession fanaticism and playing out from the back are spot on  

Only positives were Bouzanis - some great saves - Kilkenny always working hard, and Tongyik shows potential.  

Given the press this week, it was clear Victory were up for a fight and they clearly wanted it more. I just thought we'd fight a bit harder.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hakz7 said:

I knew we'd lose this one but now, we'll most likely drop to 4th tomorrow.

It's about where we deserve to be, it's quite a while since we've won a game, longer since we've scored more than 1 goal

2 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

Glad you had a good sausage Bella - I presume it's not a metaphor. 

It's not a metaphor, its a bratwurst with cheese and onion with mustard and sauce. No sausage for me tonight, Mrs G is as deflated as I am

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, neio said:

We were pretty poor tonight but it showed they arnt much either,  they have one good player in Rojas 

Tonight is the first time I've been very frustrated with bruno took wrong option continuously. Is he just out of form or have people worked out how to nullify him

Timmy is the problem unfortunately. As much as hes been good in other ways we just havent found a way to make him and Bruno work. We need a Mooy behind Bruno delivering quality balls. With Timmy there he's no good in the number 9 role which forces Bruno to come out and receive the ball. He is either then too far from the goal to score or he's finding himself trying to do too much and losing the ball. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

For me, JVS' tactics lost the game. First half, especially, the shape was brutal. 

Sorry to say it, but I think trying to shoehorn Fornaroli and Cahil into the same side, in that system, also causes major deficiencies. 

Both probably, along with Berisha, the best centre forwards in the A-League and both should be played as such or not at all. Both could play just off the striker, but that would be the limit. 

Edit: What you said Niko, beat me to it haha! 

Edited by Celt

Very disappointing match from our perspective. So many players well below their best and poor team management as well. We were just so painfully slow through midfield all the match, and as already mentioned to see us knocking the ball sideways and backwards with 5 minutes to go and we're a goal down - that's just pathetic.

I thought Bouzanis played pretty well all up. Muscat should have started over Rose, who was awful tonight - easily his worst outing for us. Franjic was ordinary, and I've marked down Tongyik as responsible for the first MV goal but otherwise did a pretty fair job. IMO Kilkenny had a poor match by his standards - too slow to move the ball and quite a few poor passes. Brattan was poor. IMO Colazo was OK. It's up front that we have some serious issues to deal with. I agree with Bela that the captaincy is weighing far too heavily on Bruno and it's detracting from his game. He's getting into too much needless discussion with the referees,  trying to do far too much himself and not laying the ball off quickly enough. Apart from the goal, Cahill contributed nothing except backchat to the referee - waste of space IMO. Brandan did OK and has clearly taken some action on his theatrics. Kamau was truly awful, and was directly responsible for MV's second goal. WTF was JvS thinking keeping him on for so long? Fitzy has to start over him until further notice.

If we play like this then IMO we've won our silverware for the season. Summing up my feelings about City at this juncture, I'm fucking sick to death of our slow ball transition, and sideways and backwards passing. It's a cancer spreading through the team once again. No doubt I'll be getting a City Voice "Beautiful Football" survey in the next couple of days and I won't be mincing my words in my comments.

• Like 1

Great atmosphere and generally an entertaining, exciting game. 

I thought the boys did fight for it, but in the end a draw would have been a good result for us.

Agree that JVS didn't set us up well and we sure missed Jacobson ... no way would they have scored that 1st goal if he was running the defence.

Dissappointing to think both of the tards goals came from our mistakes, as well as the standard tard offside goal. That linesman was poor, he was often caught behind the play.

I think Muscat should have started over Rose and Colazo should have been out wide, with Caceres in the midfield, and Kamu on the bench.

We need to tweak a few things but I'm hopeful we'll turn it around. If Bruno can find his touch again then we can go on a run.

Finally, I don't think the tards majorly outnumbered us tonight ... when we scored, our roar was loudest from where i was sitting.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, neio said:

We were pretty poor tonight but it showed they arnt much either,  they have one good player in Rojas 

Tonight is the first time I've been very frustrated with bruno took wrong option continuously. Is he just out of form or have people worked out how to nullify him

As a neutral, in the negligible amount of Victory game time I've seen, I'd have Rojas, Troisi, Valeri over their City counterparts and Berisha would have a fair case over Bruno (although I personally prefer Fornaroli, Beriahas quality at A-League level is nothing to be scoffed at). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Very disappointing match from our perspective. So many players well below their best and poor team management as well. We were just so painfully slow through midfield all the match, and as already mentioned to see us knocking the ball sideways and backwards with 5 minutes to go and we're a goal down - that's just pathetic.

I thought Bouzanis played pretty well all up. Muscat should have started over Rose, who was awful tonight - easily his worst outing for us. Franjic was ordinary, and I've marked down Tongyik as responsible for the first MV goal but otherwise did a pretty fair job. IMO Kilkenny had a poor match by his standards - too slow to move the ball and quite a few poor passes. Brattan was poor. IMO Colazo was OK. It's up front that we have some serious issues to deal with. I agree with Bela that the captaincy is weighing far too heavily on Bruno and it's detracting from his game. He's getting into too much needless discussion with the referees,  trying to do far too much himself and not laying the ball off quickly enough. Apart from the goal, Cahill contributed nothing except backchat to the referee - waste of space IMO. Brandan did OK and has clearly taken some action on his theatrics. Kamau was truly awful, and was directly responsible for MV's second goal. WTF was JvS thinking keeping him on for so long? Fitzy has to start over him until further notice.

If we play like this then IMO we've won our silverware for the season. Summing up my feelings about City at this juncture, I'm fucking sick to death of our slow ball transition, and sideways and backwards passing. It's a cancer spreading through the team once again. No doubt I'll be getting a City Voice "Beautiful Football" survey in the next couple of days and I won't be mincing my words in my comments.

I remember watching the FFA Cup Final from very high up on the yarra side of the stadium and it stood out so much how predictable we are with the ball. Its been a JVS trade mark for so long. There's no way a team that's meant to be challenging for the title should be playing in such a way. Look at every team that's won the title. There's that difference between how they play with the ball compared to the other teams. We had that for a bit but have totally lost it since the second round. 

1 minute ago, Celt said:

As a neutral, in the negligible amount of Victory game time I've seen, I'd have Rojas, Troisi, Valeri over their City counterparts and Berisha would have a fair case over Bruno (although I personally prefer Fornaroli, Beriahas quality at A-League level is nothing to be scoffed at). 

Thats because Bruno doesn't have his same role as last season. Before it was just to score goals. Now he has to pick up the ball from deeper in the field and play a different role. And on top of that he has to be captain and play this role of leader. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Celt said:

Post this in the neutral thread ... right now we need to be hating on the tards and JVS, not praising the tard turds

• Like 1

How far does this problem go back? At least to the recruitment in the close season, when we failed to secure enough depth and talent in defence.  It takes us to have two players injured and we're playing a back three, one of which is an out and out rookie, and one of which is accident prone at best.  The front half of the pitch was overloaded but still couldn't win the ball or use it when they had it. Kamau is woefully out of form and needs dropping, and suspension might do Bruno some good, and he might have a chance to go and look where his form is hiding.  And if Chapman can't get a game when we are this much down to the bare bones, get rid and get someone who we're prepared to pick.

In one sense we lost this game when the team was picked, but in another, we lost it in the close season when we built the squad.

• Like 3

I need to watch a replay. I seriously thought we dominated the second half and we were hard done by not getting a result. 

We definitely had no real midfield. Colazo was ineffective and Kilkenny was too deep. I thought Cahill playing the target man and Bruno dropping was a better fit. Kamau was poor and deserves a rest. 

Disappointed but not overly, some bigger games ahead.

• Like 2

Just now, Jovan said:

I need to watch a replay. I seriously thought we dominated the second half and we were hard done by not getting a result. 

We definitely had no real midfield. Colazo was ineffective and Kilkenny was too deep. I thought Cahill playing the target man and Bruno dropping was a better fit. Kamau was poor and deserves a rest. 

We did dominate. We had fantastic possession. Kudos for possession. 

Its almost embarrassing that we should ever lose out in midfield to this victree squad. 

Disaster of a result, top spot gone
why the fuck did rose start over muscat
bouzanis made some great saves but then had some spastic moments too
suicidal defending and pointless possession in the back asking for trouble, no pressure on their attackers
waited way too long for subs
brandon can't cross, bruce looked shit again (need to see a replay but i swear it looked like he was brought down in the box in the 2nd half)
been a while since brattan and bruno have had a great game
disgraceful home end turnout 
jarred gillet needs a bullet 

Edited by Thrillhouse
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

My instinct during the game was that we did better in the second half, but got less out of it.  Having said that, we were very lucky to be in contention after the first half.

Another question to raise, why in the FUCK didn't we make our third sub for the game. Cahill was no where to be seen. We have Caceras on the bench who would make an instant impact with the ball at his feet. How the fuck does JVS not make a change at all, especially when we're 1-2 down. Fucking outrage, poor managerial decisions all around regarding subs and player selections.  

Edited by n i k o
Spelling mistakes cause JVS is a cunt
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Another question to raise, why in the FUCK didn't we make our third sub for the game. Cahill was no where to be seen. We have Caceras on the bench who would make an instant impact with the ball at his feet. How the fuck does JVS not make a change at all, especially when we're 1-2 down. Fucking outrage, poor managerial decisions all around regarding subs and player selections.  

Was just about to say this. Jvs finally has a decent bench and his first sub is a fucking defensive one when the game is in the balance. Can we also please have retre not on the bench too thank you. 

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Was just about to say this. Jvs finally has a decent bench and his first sub is a fucking defensive one when the game is in the balance. Can we also please have retre not on the bench too thank you. 

I had to ask others around me whether we had made all three subs. Because no one could possibly be stupid enough to not play a third sub to replace a 37 year old impact player.  How wrong I was. JVS is stupid enough the tanned cunt. 

Edited by n i k o

Yes we've had some great wins against them this season. But it still hurts. Sitting up on 3rd level watching them go crazy for Berishas goal and that absolute c*unt Muscat rev them up after the game reminded me why I hate them so much. Next time lets annihilate them at Etihad. Fuck losing in the derby. 

• Like 1

Seriously, I don't think anyone understands anything anymore.

I am so confused.

Colazo not on the wing, me no understand

Kamau is shit and not subbed at 60, me no understand,

Playing with one CB against victory's attack, me no understand,

Not bringing on Caceras to balance our midfield, me no understand,

Playing from the back in the last 10 minutes, me no understand,

Sack JVS, I do understand.

We should have won, but our tactics and coach make us weak.

There is no reason why, when he saw we were weak through the middle and Kamau was getting slaughtered, not to take him off, put muscat on and play a 4 4 2 with Colazo and Brandan running the wings.

You can't keep playing the same way and expect different results.

THINK JVS THINK.

Me no understand 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm fucking sick to death of our slow ball transition, and sideways and backwards passing. It's a cancer spreading through the team once again. No doubt I'll be getting a City Voice "Beautiful Football" survey in the next couple of days and I won't be mincing my words in my comments.

This is exactly how I feel.

if it is true that our game plan/style is directed by man city and Jvs is nothing but a marionette, why don't they fuk the whole Melbourne coaching team off and use Skype to manage the team ffs. There is nothing beautiful about the way we pass sideways and back with pointless possession. I call it defensive offensive.......it is ridiculous.

however if Jvs is the man with the joystick in his hand flying this ship according to his flight plan then we are seriously heading towards a crash and burn type of landing. This man is nothing but a fkn handbrake to our success.

• Like 1

Outcoached tonight. Very frustrating game to watch. Didn't deserve the win tonight they definitely wanted it more than us. Anyway we can take a lot of things from this loss so we must move on. Few of my thoughts 

• If Josh Rose can play as our left back I feel as if I can put up my hand and apply for that position to. How the fuck does this cunt start is beyond me, please never ever again. Deadset the worst player to play for our club fuck off back to gosford you hack
  • Brattan hasn't been the same player since he went to Thailand. Did he fuck a ladyboy over there or something? Wtf has happened to him?
  • Kamau doesn't play with any heart whatsoever and is very predictable. He made Leigh Broxham look good.
  • JVS needs to seriously sit down and figure out a proper formation and lineup for us because atm its not working. Bruno looks lost out there, Colazo is not a central midfielder and with the players we have we should be creating many more chances then what we currently are

Shit night

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Celt said:

Bruno had very little service and Berisha had it on a platter 3 or 4 times. Switch their places and Bruno would have scored 4 tonight.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

Been mentioned a couple of times already, but that home end turnout was baffling. Otherwise I actually thought we turned out in good numbers. 

Next home game should be a laugh, a soft derby performance is gonna hurt us at the gate big time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strider said:

bla bla striders 3:

1. shit turnout lol @ "home game"

2. bouzanis was the only bloke on that field playing with intensity... and he was standing still half the time

3. would trade fornaroli, kamau and rose for 1 berisha 

Why would we want a Berisha when JVS would play him at left back?

• Like 2