Melbourne Football

City vs Mariners, Tuesday 27th December, AAMI Park, 5.30 p.m.

citypool

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

C'mon. Impracticable. Would mean one or more cameras filming every second including pre- and post-match. A VAR for the crowd. And then there would be complaints about privacy.

Regrettably flares were thrown from the southern end, and some form of sanction is warranted. I see this as a pre-emptive strike by City to try and get our active support back to what it used to be before others such as APL or the police start banning individuals and shutting down the section for a longer period.

By complaining about this two-match ban you're just digging a deeper and deeper hol. City, in particular, wouldn't care if they lost a couple of hundred cheap memberships if they did away with active altogether.

You have to know that you are under constant CCTV in these venues. except for the toilet, they have you on camera from the minute you walk up to the stadium until you leave. Look around you or up in the stands, next time you are there. I’m not joking here.

They don’t care about any fans, active or no active JW - that’s clear right?

The narrative is working, that us the fans are the problem, let’s not forget why we had protest in the first place.

I’m just an upset fan, I know in the heat of moment, after the finals move to Sydney announcement. I said that this club wasn’t getting my money anymore. I see nothing from my club to change my mind so far. I’m sure many including the club won’t mind and that’s fine.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Thanks 1

As I said before this match tomorrow should be attracting 10k plus it’s got three socceroos from a bloody successful World Cup.

the admin are fooking useless we shouldn’t even know any of these suits name we should be talking about the match. Can’t even tell you who runs the epl. 

Edited by citypool

1 hour ago, citypool said:

As I said before this match tomorrow should be attracting 10k plus it’s got three socceroos from a bloody successful World Cup.

the admin are fooking useless we shouldn’t even know any of these suits name we should be talking about the match. Can’t even tell you who runs the epl. 

I’ll be very surprised if it will be 10k. 

A good win after a potentially momentum-breaking break and a coaching change.

Positives:

Won, despite playing poorly in the second half. It was hot!

Clean sheet

Tough for Nuno Reis, who would be a definite starter in any other team but will struggle to be a first-choice CB pairing

O'Neill, his usual unspectacular but ruthlessly effective self, both in breaking up midfield attacks and setting up attaching transitions. In a way, he is his own worst enemy when int comes to national team selection as he's just so unspectacularly good. His positioning on the field and with respect to his opponents means that he doesn't need spectacular tackles

Negatives:

The game should have been out of reach at half-time; our conversion rate this season has been poor compared to previous seasons.

It was hard to get a sense of the crowd numbers from the TV coverage.

Valon Berisha - maybe the expectations were unrealistic after his first game: solid but unspectacular.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Was at the game. Crowd wasn't too bad, all things considered.  Absolutely oppressively hot. Our boys wanted it more both attacking and defending... shame bout the penalty as I reckon the flood gates would have opened 

Bos is a freakn gun

Good subs by Rado ... all helped us keep control of the game

Nabbout is horribly out of form and could have cost us a goal with several poor decisions 

Big effort by the boys. Congratulations 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, moops said:

Rough start, but he has shown improvements, I'm quite liking his adjustments in attack, I wouldn't mind him staying on and seeing what he can do?

Is it me or has he removed the hoofballs forward? What else did you notice he tweaked.

Even during our loss against Sydney and the short game against Victory, I’ve noticed a lot more on the deck combination football.

38 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is it me or has he removed the hoofballs forward? What else did you notice he tweaked.

Even during our loss against Sydney and the short game against Victory, I’ve noticed a lot more on the deck combination football.

I think that overall the team is less predictable, as you say less hoofball. But there is less wing play as well, with runs being made in midfield with quite a bit more 1-2 passing. It's just more varied, there seems to be more/better off the ball movement as well, it's more a total football approach, where as Paddy was more rigid or controlling of the team.

It does make us a little less effective defensively, but we seem a lot better in attack than before even in these early stages imho and I think it shows our reliance and trust in O'Neil more than ever, he is our linchpin and has more responsibility which is improving him and free's up players like Leckie and VDV. We have had a lot more open play chances and scored from them as well, most of our goals scored prior have been set pieces or penalties, where now we look dangerous in open play.

It shows in the amount of good chances we create and playing through teams defences, last game was good in that players were shooting more readily, rather than looking to set up the perfect chance, to pass it into the net. Sure it was hot and movement wasn't as good because of it, but we seem more dangerous and unpredictable whilst still controlling the game and not losing a lot defensively, but that's more due to O'Niels roll and effectiveness.

Do you see similar things?

Edit: I also think that's part the reason why Nabout is struggling a bit, he has become a bit one dimensional and needs to play differently, he is capable and shown it in the past, so there's no reason why he can't.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moops said:

I think that overall the team is less predictable, as you say less hoofball. But there is less wing play as well, with runs being made in midfield with quite a bit more 1-2 passing. It's just more varied, there seems to be more/better off the ball movement as well, it's more a total football approach, where as Paddy was more rigid or controlling of the team.

It does make us a little less effective defensively, but we seem a lot better in attack than before even in these early stages imho and I think it shows our reliance and trust in O'Neil more than ever, he is our linchpin and has more responsibility which is improving him and free's up players like Leckie and VDV. We have had a lot more open play chances and scored from them as well, most of our goals scored prior have been set pieces or penalties, where now we look dangerous in open play.

It shows in the amount of good chances we create and playing through teams defences, last game was good in that players were shooting more readily, rather than looking to set up the perfect chance, to pass it into the net. Sure it was hot and movement wasn't as good because of it, but we seem more dangerous and unpredictable whilst still controlling the game and not losing a lot defensively, but that's more due to O'Niels roll and effectiveness.

Do you see similar things?

Edit: I also think that's part the reason why Nabout is struggling a bit, he has become a bit one dimensional and needs to play differently, he is capable and shown it in the past, so there's no reason why he can't.

Yes very aligned here, good summary. Only comment would be that we tend to overdo these 1-2s at times. Signs were there in the Sydney game but against Victory and CCM change is really noticeable now.

Our play in the same formation looked a lot more like the CFG style, which I didn’t think we had it in us - hence PK was forced to play like he did. It reminded me of the Novillo/Fornaroli link up play as well.

Shackles off for some players perhaps, it certainly helps Leckie who was in good shape already but he certainly enjoys himself.

Or perhaps VDV starting to show his true potential?

We have a left side with Bos, Leckie and VDV now who all want to play good football and all have the capability to do so and that shows.

If it wasn’t known to some already, O’Neill is pivotal, not always flawless, an unnoticed gun. Can see him in Socceroos if he stays fit (been an issue). I’ve been super critical on Gomulka in the past for that same reason, Aidan set the bar just super high. Perhaps unfairly so.

Andrew N, is in a bad space at the moment, literally everything he does goes wrong. Been very ooor in recent games as well. Usually more game time will help but you can’t play like he did like last night.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Yes very aligned here, good summary. Only comment would be that we tend to overdo these 1-2s at times. Signs were there in the Sydney game but against Victory and CCM change is really noticeable now.

Our play in the same formation looked a lot more like the CFG style, which I didn’t think we had it in us - hence PK was forced to play like he did. It reminded me of the Novillo/Fornaroli link up play as well.

Shackles off for some players perhaps, it certainly helps Leckie who was in good shape already but he certainly enjoys himself.

Or perhaps VDV starting to show his true potential?

We have a left side with Bos, Leckie and VDV now who all want to play good football and all have the capability to do so and that shows.

If it wasn’t known to some already, O’Neill is pivotal, not always flawless, an unnoticed gun. Can see him in Socceroos if he stays fit (been an issue). I’ve been super critical on Gomulka in the past for that same reason, Aidan set the bar just super high. Perhaps unfairly so.

Andrew N, is in a bad space at the moment, literally everything he does goes wrong. Been very ooor in recent games as well. Usually more game time will help but you can’t play like he did like last night.

Somethings not right with Nabout, last season he just looked angry all the time, this season he looks like he's just ineffectual, something must be going on behind the curtain.

7 minutes ago, moops said:

Somethings not right with Nabout, last season he just looked angry all the time, this season he looks like he's just ineffectual, something must be going on behind the curtain.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Completely agree about body language and current persona but I think it's purely football. 

The bloke has lost his spot in both with us and national team and pretty much can't do much but wait and hope for an opening. 

We have probably 4 senior players in the same situation, Jamieson Reiss Galloway and Nabbout, obviously all with differing circumstances but ultimately same outcome, that is they have to wait and take their opportunities when they come along. 

And for me thats exactly what you want. Proper competition and 2 senior pros being kept on the bench by youth players (Tilio and Bos) although Tilio has probably moved out of the "youth" description. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I wouldn't read too much into it. Completely agree about body language and current persona but I think it's purely football. 

The bloke has lost his spot in both with us and national team and pretty much can't do much but wait and hope for an opening. 

We have probably 4 senior players in the same situation, Jamieson Reiss Galloway and Nabbout, obviously all with differing circumstances but ultimately same outcome, that is they have to wait and take their opportunities when they come along. 

And for me thats exactly what you want. Proper competition and 2 senior pros being kept on the bench by youth players (Tilio and Bos) although Tilio has probably moved out of the "youth" description. 

True, it's a good problem to have.

Decent performance in awful conditions. Take the points and move on. Virtually a six pointer given the opposition. I'd been at the test all day (in the shade) but couldn't take any more of the heat and went home rather than heading to AAMI. Got home in time to see the second half. Terrible conditions for anything, never mind a game of football.

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

One good thing we did under PK was the long diagonal ball (at times). There are times now when it would be more helpful, the neat triangles look good but slow the ball speed and impair us in transition when we aren't good enough to break down organised teams. Like everything, it's about timing, the one thing missing from our game is unpredictability and flexibility. This issue was really apparent in the women's game last night when our ball speed was far too slow and we struggled to break down Glory Women.