Melbourne Football

City vs Mariners, Tuesday 27th December, AAMI Park, 5.30 p.m.

citypool

I’m looking forward to this one it’s summer, it’s a double header and mariners are entertaining so I wanna upgrade my tickets to platinum.

$100 to upgrade with gold tier loyalty  15% discount. Still pretty expensive they really gotta lower the price 

Edited by jw1739

7 minutes ago, citypool said:

I’m looking forward to this one it’s summer, it’s a double header and mariners are entertaining so I wanna upgrade my tickets to platinum.

$100 to upgrade with gold tier loyalty  15% discount. Still pretty expensive they really gotta lower the price 

When is it and what time? Hate double headers. Will try and make the men's match.

• jw1739 changed the title to City vs Mariners, Tuesday 27th December, AAMI Park, 5.00 p.m.
  • jw1739 changed the title to City vs Mariners, Tuesday 27th December, AAMI Park, 5.30 p.m.

Active is banned for this game and for the next few games it seems...

"Football Australia is also reviewing the conduct of some Melbourne City supporters at the Melbourne Derby. In the meantime, for Melbourne City FC home matches, Football Australia has also directed the APL to cordon off the home and away active bays until otherwise advised."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-23/melbourne-victory-ticket-sale-frozen-football-pitch-invasion/101805798

40 minutes ago, haz said:

Active is banned for this game and for the next few games it seems...

"Football Australia is also reviewing the conduct of some Melbourne City supporters at the Melbourne Derby. In the meantime, for Melbourne City FC home matches, Football Australia has also directed the APL to cordon off the home and away active bays until otherwise advised."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-23/melbourne-victory-ticket-sale-frozen-football-pitch-invasion/101805798

That is not in the version of the story I have seen, which was updated 42 minutes ago. There is no mention of City other than Tom Glover.

13 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

So are you suggesting the City active ban is not correct?

TBH, I have no idea. I posted my message in the Derby thread about 5.30 p.m. after reading the ABC website story and there was no mention of restrictions on City then.

The version on Keepup is about two hours prior to when I saw the story on the ABC.

There's nothing on the City website (but that doesn't mean a lot although they are covering the women's match in Canberra live on twitter).

So I'm totally confused.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

It's just another example of how poor communications are with fans. Why wait until about two hours before most people knock off for the Christmas/New Year break before making an announcement that was pretty obviously the way to go (on an interim basis) as soon as it all happened? These people at FA and APL are just plain dumb.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

So what does that mean if you have a active membership for this game.

I doubt that the club will issue any information before Tuesday.

I would think you go along as per normal and when you get inside the ground you see whether the usual area is open or not, and if it's tarped off you go to GA and sit there. There's also plenty of empty seats at the southern end as well.

On 24/12/2022 at 9:12 AM, jw1739 said:

I doubt that the club will issue any information before Tuesday.

I would think you go along as per normal and when you get inside the ground you see whether the usual area is open or not, and if it's tarped off you go to GA and sit there. There's also plenty of empty seats at the southern end as well.

They just did, its becoming evident that the leaderships from clubs to authorities are missing the point on what actually happened and why things have happened. Almost like a welcome distraction now, just turn it all back on the fans.

Flares and loud crowds are part of football. When you fight this your sport will not grow. I don’t get the obsession with shoehorning into AFL and Cricket.

And no I’m not condoning unsafe use of flares and violence.

13 minutes ago, citypool said:

This is becoming a joke now.

Edited by Mr MO

22 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

They just did, its becoming evident that the leaderships from club to authorities are missing the point on what actually happened. 

Flares and loud crowds are part of football. When you fight this your sport will not grow.

And no I’m not condemning unsafe use of flares and violence.

This is becoming a joke now.

I think you mean "condoning?"

Other than that, our club was growing (just look at historical attendances) up until the end of 2016/17 without any restrictions on the crowds. So we were were doing something right then, and I don't think that we had the unsavoury element in our active supporters then.

Edited by jw1739

15 minutes ago, HughJass said:

so I have general admin....i'm supposed to reserve seats? Nice if they could provide some more information on what to do

And also nothing about reserved seat members whose seats are in the first three rows that will be closed.

It beggars belief that we have to wait until Boxing Day for this announcement. 

It hasn't been thought through.

Edited by jw1739

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think you mean "condoning?"

Other than that, our club was growing (just look at historical attendances) up until the end of 2016/17 without any restrictions on the crowds. SO we were were doing something right then, and I don't think that we had the unsavoury element in our active supporters then.

The young wannabees hooligans have always been there. We’ve also had flares in the past, to a point that the league loved the atmosphere so much that “safe flares and smokebombs” were supposed to be introduced.

The protest had a reason. With modern technology, remove and ban these individuals. Show that the sport can handle though situations whilst moving on.

kindergarten style management, “look he ruined it for us all” is not the solution.

Edited by Mr MO

So to be clear, the hundreds of active members get royally fucked because of a few fucknuts our end and the tards (not us) storming the pitch?

I fully appreciate the active bay being closed. But when was the last time all active bay members were told fuck off for future games due to flares or shitty tifos?

Fucking shithousery from the club 

So pissed off

And fuck you to the selfish pricks who threw flares 

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

So to be clear, the hundreds of active members get royally fucked because of a few fucknuts our end and the tards (not us) storming the pitch?

I fully appreciate the active bay being closed. But when was the last time all active bay members were told fuck off for future games due to flares or shitty tifos?

Fucking shithousery from the club 

So pissed off

And fuck you to the selfish pricks who threw flares 

It is for two games - at this stage. Not good I agree, but let's keep it in perspective. And unfortunately, unless the hotheads can be controlled from within the Terrace, it's what clubs will be forced to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It is for two games - at this stage. Not good I agree, but let's keep it in perspective. And unfortunately, unless the hotheads can be controlled from within the Terrace, it's what clubs will be forced to do.

As I said, I fully appreciate the active bay area being closed. The example has been made and active members get a consequence in that it's not business as usual - we have to sit elsewhere and we fuck ourselves even further if there's any more trouble (particularly if there's trouble at the next few games)

But to effectively ban hundreds of members until further notice (these two games are part of interim decisions - nothing say it won't be longer) for a very selective few is fucked. Of which, did this ever happen to WSW or Victory when their supporters did this in the past ? Total bullshit

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

As I said, I fully appreciate the active bay area being closed. The example has been made and active members get a consequence in that it's not business as usual - we have to sit elsewhere and we fuck ourselves even further if there's any more trouble (particularly if there's trouble at the next few games)

But to effectively ban hundreds of members until further notice (these two games are part of interim decisions - nothing say it won't be longer) for a very selective few is fucked. Of which, did this ever happen to WSW or Victory when their supporters did this in the past ? Total bullshit

What makes it worse is that this wasn’t even forced upon us. We are so embedded in the APL and FA, we can’t even pretend to be a real club anymore and fight for its fans.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Ridiculous JW, this goes way too far. Forced to do what, by who?

So 9 days later and after going through hours of footage they’ve managed to pin point only one individual, maybe it wasn’t so bad?

Perhaps they’ve been given the wrong footage? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Ridiculous JW, this goes way too far. Forced to do what, by who?

So 9 days later and after going through hours of footage they’ve managed to pin point only one individual, maybe it wasn’t so bad?

Perhaps they’ve been given the wrong footage? 

Oh c'mon. They threw multiple flares onto the pitch, burning a hole in the net which put a stop to the game. That's just straight out vandalism. What do you expect the club to do, congratulate them? Just because Victory fukd up more doesn't mean we're excluded from any punishment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

Oh c'mon. They threw multiple flares onto the pitch, burning a hole in the net which put a stop to the game. That's just straight out vandalism. What do you expect the club to do, congratulate them? Just because Victory fukd up more doesn't mean we're excluded from any punishment.

I expect them to get picked out and banned. 

37 minutes ago, rass said:

So with that logic you'd therefore be ok with most of the OSM/NT, etc to be still allowed at games if they didn't jump the fence or throw a flare?

That’s not my club.

However yes, same logic, ban and fine for the club - just like how the rest of the world handles it. $20k or more per lit flare or offence, you light one on the weekend you get a fine on the Monday.

None of us jumped the fence so I expect heavier sanctions from or against Victory.

Nearly 10 days now and we’ve picked out just one of our fans.

It clearly states they need more time to find a couple more individuals, so is it punishment or just needed more time, what is it?

Kindergarten style management with strange announcement timing by our club (Victory announced measures on Friday COB). It’s dividing us fans from what is really going on.

Edited by Mr MO

49 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I expect them to get picked out and banned. 

C'mon. Impracticable. Would mean one or more cameras filming every second including pre- and post-match. A VAR for the crowd. And then there would be complaints about privacy.

Regrettably flares were thrown from the southern end, and some form of sanction is warranted. I see this as a pre-emptive strike by City to try and get our active support back to what it used to be before others such as APL or the police start banning individuals and shutting down the section for a longer period.

By complaining about this two-match ban you're just digging a deeper and deeper hole. City, in particular, wouldn't care if they lost a couple of hundred cheap memberships if they did away with active altogether.

• Like 1