Le Hack

Piss Weak Sanctions.

I hope we smash them 8-0 this time. 

Just now, haz said:

Piss Weak Sanctions.

Category Sanction
Financial Sanctions $450,000 in financial penalties split between:
  A direction to the Club to reimburse Melbourne City FC (home team) up to $150,000 in damages caused to the venue and equipment by the pitch invasion and other unruly supporter conduct;
  A fine payable to Football Australia of $150,000;
  A suspended fine of $100,000 if another pitch invasion by the Club supporters occurs this season and three subsequent seasons ending 2025-26; and
  A direction to the Club to pay a minimum of $50,000 towards the cost of the replay of the abandoned game in April 2023.
Sporting Sanctions Melbourne Victory FC must not sell any match day tickets in the areas ordinarily designated within their home venue at AAMI Park as Club home active supporter bays, including the areas known as the North End active fans or South End active fans for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League Men season at the Club home games – irrespective of venue – including any A-League Men Finals. This requirement represents lost revenue of $100,000.
  The first three rows of seats behind the goal at both the North End and South End, or equivalent if a home game is not played at AAMI Park, to be tarped off at all Club home games for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League season, including any A-League Men Finals.
  In addition, rows A – J of Bay 38 at the North End, or equivalent if a home game is not played at AAMI Park, will remain empty at all Club home games for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League Men season, including any A-League Men Finals.
  Any tickets already sold in these areas will be cancelled. Affected ticket holders to re-allocated seating by the Club to other parts of the venue in groups of up to four (4) people or refunded. Direct families of up to six (6) will be permitted to be seated together.
  No allocated Club supporter seating at away games. Affected ticket holders need to contact the Club to be re-allocated seating in other parts of the venue in groups of up to four (4) people or be refunded. Direct families of up to six (6) will be permitted to be seated together.
  No active fan concessions for megaphones, drums, and flags for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League Men season.
  An automatic 10-point deduction for each instance of a triggering event during this season and the next three seasons, ending at the conclusion of the 2025-26 A-League Men season. A triggering event is if a match is suspended due to Club supporter conduct, the assault of coaches, players, match officials or pitch invasion by the Club’s supporters.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, neio said:

If the game is continued, does it mean that same teams have to be used. Eg does Victory have to make a sub straight away for Nani?

It's such a weird decision. 

But I would find it hilarious if that ^ was the case. 

19 minutes ago, haz said:

Piss Weak Sanctions.

Category Sanction
Financial Sanctions $450,000 in financial penalties split between:
  A direction to the Club to reimburse Melbourne City FC (home team) up to $150,000 in damages caused to the venue and equipment by the pitch invasion and other unruly supporter conduct;
  A fine payable to Football Australia of $150,000;
  A suspended fine of $100,000 if another pitch invasion by the Club supporters occurs this season and three subsequent seasons ending 2025-26; and
  A direction to the Club to pay a minimum of $50,000 towards the cost of the replay of the abandoned game in April 2023.
Sporting Sanctions Melbourne Victory FC must not sell any match day tickets in the areas ordinarily designated within their home venue at AAMI Park as Club home active supporter bays, including the areas known as the North End active fans or South End active fans for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League Men season at the Club home games – irrespective of venue – including any A-League Men Finals. This requirement represents lost revenue of $100,000.
  The first three rows of seats behind the goal at both the North End and South End, or equivalent if a home game is not played at AAMI Park, to be tarped off at all Club home games for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League season, including any A-League Men Finals.
  In addition, rows A – J of Bay 38 at the North End, or equivalent if a home game is not played at AAMI Park, will remain empty at all Club home games for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League Men season, including any A-League Men Finals.
  Any tickets already sold in these areas will be cancelled. Affected ticket holders to re-allocated seating by the Club to other parts of the venue in groups of up to four (4) people or refunded. Direct families of up to six (6) will be permitted to be seated together.
  No allocated Club supporter seating at away games. Affected ticket holders need to contact the Club to be re-allocated seating in other parts of the venue in groups of up to four (4) people or be refunded. Direct families of up to six (6) will be permitted to be seated together.
  No active fan concessions for megaphones, drums, and flags for the remainder of the 2022-23 A-League Men season.
  An automatic 10-point deduction for each instance of a triggering event during this season and the next three seasons, ending at the conclusion of the 2025-26 A-League Men season. A triggering event is if a match is suspended due to Club supporter conduct, the assault of coaches, players, match officials or pitch invasion by the Club’s supporters.

I wonder what level of fan misbehaviour constitutes a triggering event for a 10 point deduction. Given the way some of their fans act they could be subject to 50 point deductions each season until 2026 haha.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely piss weak sanctions. Should have forfeited the match and had a 12 point deduction.

Fines mean nothing and will mean nothing to Victory- some rich bastard or organisation will pay those for them.

Just gutless window-dressing by FA.

I don't agree. victory are bleeding money this will hurt them fininical and their reputation. The season is short enough already charge the pricks fine the club and let's play ball  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, malloy said:

I wonder what level of fan misbehaviour constitutes a triggering event for a 10 point deduction. Given the way some of their fans act they could be subject to 50 point deductions each season until 2026 haha.

Bottom of the sanctions say that a triggering event is a suspended match

"A triggering event is if a match is suspended due to Club supporter conduct, the assault of coaches, players, match officials or pitch invasion by the Club’s supporters." 

happy enough with the general sanctions, but restarting the game from the 20th minute (or there abouts) is a fucking disgrace.  storming the ground, assaulting players / match officials / camera staff, causing the game to be abandoned ; what the fuck else has to be done to forfeit a game.  total bullshit.

btw - we were set to play the nomads on the 22nd April as a home away from home game.  do they get financial compensated due to the reschedule? again total bullshit

edit: might have misread the date with all the 22s running around.  has the date been announced? my bad if so.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

happy enough with the general sanctions, but restarting the game from the 20th minute (or there abouts) is a fucking disgrace.  storming the ground, assaulting players / match officials / camera staff, causing the game to be abandoned ; what the fuck else has to be done to forfeit a game.  total bullshit.

btw - we were set to play the nomads on the 22nd April as a home away from home game.  do they get financial compensated due to the reschedule? again total bullshit

edit: might have misread the date with all the 22s running around.  has the date been announced? my bad if so.

It just says "April 2023" - no specific date.

One tweeter suggests that they have been hit with a "limp lettuce leaf." 

Banning 17 people (which FA admits is difficult to enforce) doesn't hurt the club one little bit. 

1 hour ago, haz said:

Bottom of the sanctions say that a triggering event is a suspended match

"A triggering event is if a match is suspended due to Club supporter conduct, the assault of coaches, players, match officials or pitch invasion by the Club’s supporters." 

Ah k, my bad. Pretty piss poor then. I was thinking flares could be a triggering event.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It just says "April 2023" - no specific date.

One tweeter suggests that they have been hit with a "limp lettuce leaf." 

Banning 17 people (which FA admits is difficult to enforce) doesn't hurt the club one little bit. 

550k in fines does hurt - particularly as they are apparently 6.7 mil in the red, plus (unless i have misread something else) no active bays and restrictions on ticket sales for the rest of the season.

tbh, i do think they could and should have gone harder.  as per my previous posts regarding what i perceive as an overreaction towards our general active bay members, i can see a situation here where the APL is trying not to punish the general Victory member and fan (just to be clear, not stating that i agree with the APL approach as they should have gone harder)

6 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Piss weak. Can't believe they don't get docked points 

3 minutes ago, citypool said:

Why is everyone saying docking points? They are already at the bottom and we don’t even have relegation lol 

when i first heard and read about, i was the same about the lack of loss of points (and still am).  i still cant believe they are replaying the game.

only thing i can think (again not that i necessarily agree) is that much in the way points deductions means the Victory season is over.  they are on 10 points with 15.5 games to play.  any points deduction virtually kills them making finals.  which is bullshit logic but it is APL we are talking about - chance to get a "big" team into finals and of course they will go for it.

Just now, citypool said:

Why is everyone saying docking points? They are already at the bottom and we don’t even have relegation lol 

Because if this was the worst day in Australian football (or whatever is the precise wording) then the punishment must fit the crime. Perth were kicked out of the six for what was effectively a salary cap breach. Sydney had two matches recorded as 0-3 losses for a bench infringement that nobody noticed until a long time afterwards.

Yet MV get to play over two thirds of a match that they ruined, could in fact win it, and depending on other results for the remainder of the season could in fact take out a trophy for the season and/or qualify for an AFC tournament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, malloy said:

Ah k, my bad. Pretty piss poor then. I was thinking flares could be a triggering event.

It could be included under the general "club supporter conduct" heading. IMO City need to get the unsavoury element in our active under control to avoid us getting clobbered. And I don't think we are Mr. Popular amongst the clubs because of CFG.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Because if this was the worst day in Australian football (or whatever is the precise wording) then the punishment must fit the crime. Perth were kicked out of the six for what was effectively a salary cap breach. Sydney had two matches recorded as 0-3 losses for a bench infringement that nobody noticed until a long time afterwards.

Yet MV get to play over two thirds of a match that they ruined, could in fact win it, and depending on other results for the remainder of the season could in fact take out a trophy for the season and/or qualify for an AFC tournament.

But they have cooperated with the police and with the APL. The fine they copped and the sanctions it's gonna cost them big time who's gonna want to sponsor them.

They are in deep shit and my opinion is they deal with it and we move back to this God forsaken league which is already battered already 

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It could be included under the general "club supporter conduct" heading. IMO City need to get the unsavoury element in our active under control to avoid us getting clobbered. And I don't think we are Mr. Popular amongst the clubs because of CFG.

The club AND active need to work together to control this. Shouldn't be that difficult.

It needed a points deduction. My logic is this. This sort of behaviour is best eliminated from any club if fans self-police behaviour. Fines and/or punishments of individual offenders won't achieve this. But if fans know that flare throwing, for example, would lead to them losing points, other fans would be much more inclined to exclude or identify problem individuals.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, fensaddler said:

It needed a points deduction. My logic is this. This sort of behaviour is best eliminated from any club if fans self-police behaviour. Fines and/or punishments of individual offenders won't achieve this. But if fans know that flare throwing, for example, would lead to them losing points, other fans would be much more inclined to exclude or identify problem individuals.

I tend to agree with you but fines/punishments are also important. The Age has reported that one of the key perpetrators who was already on the banned list departed the country two days after the event and Vic Pol have said that they will be waiting for him when he returns. I am assuming that the perpetrator had more than flare throwing on the charge list. At the very least that bloke won't show up any time soon.

My thoughts are that it will be difficult for a voluntary association and in a public venue for any sports to control violent behaviour. Hence my preference for the law to be changed so that a ban to visit one public sports venue where a professional match is being played extends to all public venues. Also, that perpetrators be convicted so it makes it harder for them to travel overseas. Finally, unless they introduce photo cards then it would be difficult for any club to control their fans.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I tend to agree with you but fines/punishments are also important. The Age has reported that one of the key perpetrators who was already on the banned list departed the country two days after the event and Vic Pol have said that they will be waiting for him when he returns. I am assuming that the perpetrator had more than flare throwing on the charge list. At the very least that bloke won't show up any time soon.

My thoughts are that it will be difficult for a voluntary association and in a public venue for any sports to control violent behaviour. Hence my preference for the law to be changed so that a ban to visit one public sports venue where a professional match is being played extends to all public venues. Also, that perpetrators be convicted so it makes it harder for them to travel overseas. Finally, unless they introduce photo cards then it would be difficult for any club to control their fans.

I don't believe that this person "fled" overseas, rather they already had flights to go overseas and merely took that flight. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, n i k o said:

Does anyone have an example anywhere in the world where game postponment due to crowd behaviour has resulted in full points being awarded to the opposing team? 

@n i k oI have not found a specific example. I think that if you read the basic Rule 7 of the game an abandoned match is to be replayed unless the competition rules or the organisers determine otherwise. That said, what actually happens varies around the world according to the rules of the local Football Association. I do know of one match in England that was abandoned at half-time with the score at 0-0 because of crowd trouble (from both sets of supporters), and the English F.A. ruled that the match would not be replayed and the final score was deemed to be 0-0.

This has been a sorry episode, and I don't resile from the view that everyone involved with the Derby was not prepared properly, especially given APL's announcement of the Grand Final deal with New South Wales.

From a personal point of view I think Victory should be handed a 0-3 defeat, on the basis that as a club they have a history of misbehaviour by their supporters. I also think Glover should be sanctioned for what could only be described as a foolish action. IMO going forward clubs have got to take more responsibility for both players and fans. And if Football Australia and APL don't have rules in place to cover this sort of incident then they need to move quick smart to do so.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Just reanimating this thread. Trying to plan ahead. Am I right that the new date for completing this fixture still hasn't been announced? I've heard all sorts of suggestions, is there any indication at all when we'll play?

@fensaddlerThe latest public information that I can find is that it will be "replayed from the 22nd minute in April." I heard from one of our gang at yesterday's match (vs. Brisbane 12th March) that it will be behind closed doors, but I'm not sure of his source.

We already have 5 fixtures in April so goodness knows how it will be fitted in. Hopefully, of course, nothing will hinge on the result.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@fensaddlerThe latest public information that I can find is that it will be "replayed from the 22nd minute in April." I heard from one of our gang at yesterday's match (vs. Brisbane 12th March) that it will be behind closed doors, but I'm not sure of his source.

We already have 5 fixtures in April so goodness knows how it will be fitted in. Hopefully, of course, nothing will hinge on the result.

On the city fan Facebook page they are saying 5/4