Melbourne Football

42nd Melbourne Derby 17/12 7.45 pm

Le Hack

Media are going to have a field day, someone just needs to sneeze wrong and it's plastered everywhere. Let alone the fact that the APL can't change their finals decision now, it will look like they have given in to thugs, that cause is totally fucked now.

If ten and Paramount pull out, it will be the end of the ALeague.

At least Glover was up and walking about, he was taken to hospital, but hopefully should be ok.

6 minutes ago, kiko said:

I really don't think Glover is all there, he stands there waiting like a fruit loop after he the flare toss, I think he's finished for the next month or two

Glover really showed his immaturity in that situation. Fucking idiot throwing the flare back into the crowd and a real spaz just standing there waiting for the victory scum to clobber him... He's likely to have a lengthy suspension/miss due to injury. 

The shitory on the other hand have to at least have all their points deducted for the season and not earn any more... 

• Like 1

Our Tommy is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

However if he is guilty of something he shouldn't do then he also should pay the price.

I cannot see why an additional net could not be erected behind the goal and extending to the edges of the penalty area. It would not make much difference to the view and would prevent flares going both ways. Doesn't have to be at every match.

my guess is that this match will  be rescheduled somehow, I think the League is desperate to make some good out of this, maybe a free family day with no active support,  maybe a 2nd Half outing only, even on Christmas Eve, I dunno, I'd you know what??? consult da fans

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Why do you think City should be punished?

It can be argued that Glover's stupidity started it all. Shows a lack of discipline within the club. Every possible thing has gone wrong this week. In hindsight WTF was APL doing making their announcement the week before the derby in the city most likely to be affected, were both sets of players prepared properly (Popovic didn't look overly concerned, did he, strolling over hands in pockets chewing gum), was there sufficient security, why am I frisked every time I attend yet people can get flares into the ground, was security behind the goal sufficient?????? Many, many questions, and IMO very few answers.

4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Am I the only one who thinks any publicity is good publicity?

No. Putin thinks it's OK.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It can be argued that Glover's stupidity started it all. Shows a lack of discipline within the club. Every possible thing has gone wrong this week. In hindsight WTF was APL doing making their announcement the week before the derby in the city most likely to be affected, were both sets of players prepared properly (Popovic didn't look overly concerned, did he, strolling over hands in pockets chewing gum), was there sufficient security, why am I frisked every time I attend yet people can get flares into the ground, was security behind the goal sufficient?????? Many, many questions, and IMO very few answers.

No. Putin thinks it's OK.

Could it be argued that Popovic helped fuel it by the comments he made mid week? 

Edited by haz

9 minutes ago, haz said:

Could it be argued that Popovic helped fuel it by the comments he made mid week? 

Yeah. I mean it's never far under the surface with Victory is it? You will remember bottles thrown at a women's derby (Epping?). Went unpunished.

My point is that both clubs, players (especially the GKs who are usually the players targeted by hooligans), APL and security should have been better prepared. All of them had had warning that a lot of heat was generated by APL's announcement.

And I'm not offering excuses. It's just that you're dumb if you're not better prepared.

Edited by jw1739

35 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Why do you think City should be punished?

I don't think they should. I just reckon docking City points is a perfect way to make them miss finals and hence make it easier to get an all Sydney grand final. Which let's face it, is the only way they'll get a crowd to the GF.

• Like 1

To put things in perspective.

Throwing a flare into the crowd is a reckless and dangerous act and should not go unpunished. 

Both active areas were guilty of bringing in flares and throwing them on the ground. Their should be consequences for whoever was involved. It may be that the active areas may need to become "dry" with members breathested on entry. Alcohol is probably the root cause combined with a bad culture.

The pitch invaders should all get bans and the full force of the law applied to those who assaulted the Ref, Glover etc.

Melbourne Victory should lose all its points to date as punishment for the actions of its active area in rioting and bringing the game into disrepute. 

On a less serious note the Victory players should be banned one week for not playing beautiful football like City.

Reading a lot of stuff online, it truly amazes me how people are blaming Glover for starting this. 

How many people went to Fed Square for the Aus v Arg game? It was full of young dickheads lighting flare after flare and then just throwing them into the crowd. But that's ok right? Wouldn't be a stretch to suggest most of those people were also part of the mob who stormed the pitch tonight. 

Also, where did all those hoons get those white sticks they were throwing on the ground when they finally got kicked out? They just happened to have them in their hands did they? Glover put them there did he?

Yeah it was dumb throwing the flare back, but those fukheads were obviously going to do it anyway.

What a sad, feral society we have become.

Edited by rass
  • Like 5

I will be staggered if we don't get the 3 points.

Glover is not the problem here either, he doesn't help at all I'll admit that and he probably has a few games on the sidelines but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes 10 metres in front of these dickheads back turned as flares are coming his way. We also weren't perfect with throwing flares but I don't think any were particularly close to Izzo and he also hasn't left the ground with a concussion.

Both teams will have some sanctions, ours will be very minor compared to them though, but I suspect that's the last derby with fans for a while 

• Like 3