Melbourne Football

Women's World Cup 2023

jw1739

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Might be a bit late to this and apologies if discussed elsewhere, but am i seeing correctly?

Melbourne only get 1 game with the Matildas ( v Canada 31/7).

The highest games we get here are 2 Round of 16 games. No QFs, no SFs and no GF.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Might be a bit late to this and apologies if discussed elsewhere, but am i seeing correctly?

The highest games we get here are 2 Round of 16 games. No QFs, no SFs and no GF.

That is absolutely correct as far as I can see from the published schedule. Coming on top of the GF decision, it's why I elected to boycott the whole thing. If when the time arrives there are still tickets available for a couple of the Melbourne Group games I might jump in and get one, but not at this early stage.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That is absolutely correct as far as I can see from the published schedule. Coming on top of the GF decision, it's why I elected to boycott the whole thing. If when the time arrives there are still tickets available for a couple of the Melbourne Group games I might jump in and get one, but not at this early stage.

I checked, tickets are unavailable. Apparently they went on sale April 11.

I had no idea...

5 minutes ago, rass said:

I checked, tickets are unavailable. Apparently they went on sale April 11.

I had no idea...

When I looked you had to create a FIFA Account to buy tickets and I just couldn't be bothered.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

When I looked you had to create a FIFA Account to buy tickets and I just couldn't be bothered.

Did that. Went through the whole process only to get to the end and told that tickets are unavailable...

9 minutes ago, rass said:

Did that. Went through the whole process only to get to the end and told that tickets are unavailable...

@rass Apparently tickets went on sale back in October 2022, and the batch released on 11th April were so-called "last-minute." See https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-17/fifa-women-world-cup-soccer-early-ticket-anger/102225398 I don't recall publicity back in 2022, but presumably there was. In April when I contacted the gang of City members that I'm in no-one seemed to know much about it all and no-one had a burning desire to attend so I just let the matter drop. 

I guess with 32 nations in these Finals, and the Melbourne matches at the 30,000 MRS (AAMI Park to us) and some of those seats removed for the new screens, the allocations per country were pretty tight!

So...ho-hum. 

On 06/05/2023 at 8:43 AM, rass said:

Get exactly what we deserve imo. The Vic government has repeatedly not come to the party when it comes to football, whether its friendlies or internationals so we don't deserve to host the big tickets when they come here.

On 08/05/2023 at 8:24 AM, bt50 said:

Get exactly what we deserve imo. The Vic government has repeatedly not come to the party when it comes to football, whether its friendlies or internationals so we don't deserve to host the big tickets when they come here.

What a sad disgrace 😓

On 08/05/2023 at 12:30 PM, jw1739 said:

Don't forget that the "new home" of the Women's team is under construction out there at La Trobe, and also the match between Australia and France in Melbourne on 14th July.

I checked this out through the fence the other day. Looks awesome. Sadly, i hear that Victory will move in after the WC.

Another fukn disgrace if it's true. 

17 hours ago, rass said:

I checked this out through the fence the other day. Looks awesome. Sadly, i hear that Victory will move in after the WC.

Another fukn disgrace if it's true. 

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2023/release/home-of-the-matildas-at-la-trobe-to-open-mid-2023

I'm not sure whether it is fully- or part-funded by the Victorian Government, but the above article reads that VicGov are tipping in $43m and the Commonwealth Government $15m. The article reads as if it's not being used by Australia during the WWC but by Jamaica. It is then supposed to become the State Football Centre and be available for Australia's national teams to prepare for future tournaments and for training camps for elite representative teams of all age, both men and women.

I think you can see why there are plenty of people in Australia who think that far too much taxpayers' money is spent on sporting facilities for the benefit of very few people.

I might be out on my own but I see no reason why the facility should not be made available to other football entities, including Victory, provided that they pay appropriately. In fact I would encourage it - as a taxpayer IMO government-funded facilities should be utilised as much as they can be.

From a City fan perspective it's irksome to think that Victory might use it, but City made the decision to abandon La Trobe (after spending well over $12m there) and move elsewhere so IMO we can hardly cry "foul." If we had stayed where we were we could well have been the front-runners for the long-term tenancy of the new facility rather than now be located in the boondocks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone else go to the Germany vs. Morocco match tonight? Over 27,000 there, and a new experience to be on Level 3. Pleased that a mate of mine and I went, so at least we can say we supported it, but we'd had enough after 75 minutes and left for home along with a steady flow of other spectators to avoid the crush on the train. Have to say that the football was pedestrian though. Morocco were a very weak side, completely out-played, physically dominated especially in the penalty box, apparently ranked 72nd in the world and it was difficult to see how they had qualified in the first place, and I was surprised how poor Germany were considering that they are apparently second favourites for the trophy. Showing my age of course so no further comments on the pre-match and half-time "presentation" beyond saying that it pissed me off to find I'd forgotten my ear-plugs and had to endure what I imagine was a watered-down version of the Big Bash. Not sure I'd bother again, but as I said, pleased we went to catch up with the state of international women's football.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Anyone else go to the Germany vs. Morocco match tonight? Over 27,000 there, and a new experience to be on Level 3. Pleased that a mate of mine and I went, so at least we can say we supported it, but we'd had enough after 75 minutes and left for home along with a steady flow of other spectators to avoid the crush on the train. Have to say that the football was pedestrian though. Morocco were a very weak side, completely out-played, physically dominated especially in the penalty box, apparently ranked 72nd in the world and it was difficult to see how they had qualified in the first place, and I was surprised how poor Germany were considering that they are apparently second favourites for the trophy. Showing my age of course so no further comments on the pre-match and half-time "presentation" beyond saying that it pissed me off to find I'd forgotten my ear-plugs and had to endure what I imagine was a watered-down version of the Big Bash. Not sure I'd bother again, but as I said, pleased we went to catch up with the state of international women's football.

In 2002 Germany beat Saudi Arabia 8-0. And Germany went on to be runners up. So International football is getting better but really only in the last 20 years. For me, professional womens sport is roughly at the level that men's sport was in the 70s (regardless of what the memories tell me). It needs time and investment.

48 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Expanded World Cup has meant that you're going to get smaller teams in, some will be good (Haiti vs England), some will be not so good, as Morocco was last night.

Yes. maybe the WWC Finals has expanded too rapidly. Morocco qualified by being Quarter-Final Winners in the Women's Africa Cup of Nations 2022 (along with Nigeria, South Africa, and Zambia), in which they were the host country), which must be the easiest way into the actual Finals.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that penalty is so close that it's too close to call. You're talking about a single frame on a video and the decision calls into play the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, not at a particle level but as it applies in real life.

Since our game is decided by goals scored, I reckon that should have been called "no goal" - the equivalent of the Scottish verdict "Not Proven" - you can't prove that it crossed the line but you can't prove that it did not.

Glad I'm a neutral and not from either country!

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Surprised that this thread has been so quiet amongst the general media slobbering over a team and sport that they usually do their best to ignore.

I went to one game - Germany vs. Morocco - but couldn't get tickets for an Australia match. The turn-out was great to see, and it has been at all the stadiums lucky enough to stage matches. Big support across the ditch too although NZ is no longer in it.

I hope FA and APL will build on this - regular matches, sensible KO times at venues with the facilities at a decent level for players, staff and for the level of support the women's game attracts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I hope FA and APL will build on this - regular matches, sensible KO times at venues with the facilities at a decent level for players, staff and for the level of support the women's game attracts.

C'mon JW this is the APL we're talking about here...watch them fu#k this momentum up again with some outrageous decision just before the season kicks off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

C'mon JW this is the APL we're talking about here...watch them fu#k this momentum up again with some outrageous decision just before the season kicks off!

I know - Grand Final to be played in New Zealand for three years to reflect our tradition of trans-Tasman friendship?

• Haha 3

On 13/08/2023 at 12:35 PM, jw1739 said:

Surprised that this thread has been so quiet amongst the general media slobbering over a team and sport that they usually do their best to ignore.

I went to one game - Germany vs. Morocco - but couldn't get tickets for an Australia match. The turn-out was great to see, and it has been at all the stadiums lucky enough to stage matches. Big support across the ditch too although NZ is no longer in it.

The hype machine has definitely been in overdrive. I don't think I've ever seen such a circle jerk over a national team in my life lmao.

I guess just for myself it's frustrating all the apparent "support" the Matilidas are getting and yet, we struggle to get big crowds at both a league men and women matches. It reminds me of the cricket womens world cup where they made the final and broke the world record for the highest attended crowd. Afterwards, when the domestic season started their was a very little change to crowd number. Does this just prove the Australian public are a bandwagoning nation that only support teams that are successful?This just makes me think that in 2 games time this will all be forgotten and we will be back to usual service. 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

The hype machine has definitely been in overdrive. I don't think I've ever seen such a circle jerk over a national team in my life lmao.

I guess just for myself it's frustrating all the apparent "support" the Matilidas are getting and yet, we struggle to get big crowds at both a league men and women matches. It reminds me of the cricket womens world cup where they made the final and broke the world record for the highest attended crowd. Afterwards, when the domestic season started their was a very little change to crowd number. Does this just prove the Australian public are a bandwagoning nation that only support teams that are successful?This just makes me think that in 2 games time this will all be forgotten and we will be back to usual service. 

Combination of bandwagoning, but also that there is an emotional attachment to any Australian national team for the majority of the population. Very few of them will have an emotional attachment to any league team.

And I thought I was the only miserable old sod on here? Don't worry lads, it'll soon be over. If Australia beats England it'll relaunch the republican movement, and if we win the damn thing the collective drool will fill Sydney Harbour twice over, and there'll be calls that every sports facility across the land be fitted with breast-feeding facilities. Conversely, if we don't win it the collective tears will do the same thing, Albanese will blame the National Party and/or The Greens., and the government will be blamed because it didn't provide enough balls for aspiring female footballers. I'm sorry, perhaps I should rephrase that? Either way it'll all be forgotten a couple of weeks afterwards, we'll sink back into our little antipodean torpor and it won't be long before "The Voice" takes our mind off it all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...