Melbourne Football

NSW to Host A-League Men and Women Grand Finals for next 3 years. RIP Australian Football.

rass

The only way this could ever work for the A League and promoting the game here now is to have a Sydney v Western Sydney GF. Nothing else. I'm sort of hoping the final is Perth v Adelaide.

Just wondering the knock on effect of this decision on refereeing, etc... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 

@rass I nearly didn't read this, thinking that it was about the NSW NPL Grand Final. Suggest you change the title somewhat to make it clearer?

Seems to me that Australian Professional Leagues are doing everything they can to piss fans off. A Grand Final between City and Victory or any other inter-state combination - such as Wellington vs. Perth - being held in Sydney? And at a time when almost all of us are under pressure with the cost of living.

Creating a tradition? The tradition has already been established you dumb clucks.

It's hard enough to keep supporting City - and now this.

Fucking idiots.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@rass I nearly didn't read this, thinking that it was about the NSW NPL Grand Final. Suggest you change the title somewhat to make it clearer?

Seems to me that Australian Professional Leagues are doing everything they can to piss fans off. A Grand Final between City and Victory or any other inter-state combination - such as Wellington vs. Perth - being held in Sydney? And at a time when almost all of us are under pressure with the cost of living.

Creating a tradition? The tradition has already been established you dumb clucks.

It's hard enough to keep supporting City - and now this.

Fucking idiots.

I do have some choice ideas for the title, but not sure if i can edit it.

• rass changed the title to NSW to Host A-League Men and Women Grand Finals for next 3 years. RIP Australian Football.

Just when you thought the game was slowly getting its shit together they come up with this.

From memory the best A League grand finals as a spectacle have been held in Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane. I can't remember a great grand final in Sydney. 

If they did this for the cup, I get it, dont like, but get it, but to decide the League or champions or premiers or whatever they call the title makes zero sense and is completely unfair for any non Sydney (and that includes Newcastle and Mariners) team and most unfair for the fans. 

Absolute disgrace. 

The ABC website https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-12/a-leagues-criticised-for-sydney-grand-final-deal/101760118 concludes as follows:

"It's understood fan focus groups were consulted on the decision before it was made over 12 months ago, with the APL fielding many of the same questions and criticisms that are being aired on social and mainstream media platforms in light of the announcement."

I would like to know who took part in these "focus groups."

I for one have emailed City expressing my disgust at the decision. 

51 minutes ago, HughJass said:

To be fair though, i think Victory's response was quite pointed and left no doubt as to what they think of the decision. Tells me this decision was made with little to zero amount of consultation with any club outside of Sydney.

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Had an immediate reply from City. I've been advised that the club will be making a statement to all members about this sometime this week.

Going to be interesting on what they say as Simon Pearce from CFG is on the board and supposedly the decision was unanimous.....

Maclaren ain't happy

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Going to be interesting on what they say as Simon Pearce from CFG is on the board and supposedly the decision was unanimous.....

Maclaren ain't happy

Good old Jmac. As honest as the day is long. Honest with himself and everyone around him. If he says that players weren't told then I accept that as fact irrespective of what anyone else says.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

To be fair though, i think Victory's response was quite pointed and left no doubt as to what they think of the decision. Tells me this decision was made with little to zero amount of consultation with any club outside of Sydney.

I just read somewhere that the APL board has 5 reps from a-league clubs (us, victory, Sydney, wsw and Brisbane) so it sounds as though they were well and truly aware of it

It will be a disaster if Sydney teams do not make the GF because by their very nature, Sydney peeps only follow something when their team is successful.

So unlike Melbourne where we will turn up to an MCG GF anyway even if two non Victorian teams make it, in Sydney they will be lucky to get 43 people to a non NSW GF.. and that will only be the away supporters who will have enough $ to make the trip as both flight and accom costs by then will be astronomical.

Well done dickheads, great way to capitalise on the success of the Socceroos.

Wow, that's dynamite from Chris Fong of Brisbane. He's denying that he voted for it. So someone's lying.

What a fucking shambles.

I can't help recalling Steven Lowy's line: "Be careful what you wish for."

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

When is the club going to release a statement to the members. Very quiet no posts or anything. 

"This week" according to my information.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Wow, that's dynamite from Chris Fong of Brisbane. He's denying that he voted for it. So someone's lying.

What a fucking shambles.

I can't help recalling Steven Lowy's line: "Be careful what you wish for."

"This week" according to my information.

Should be from Vice chairman Simon Pearce as he is on the APL board 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Obviously to a much lesser scale, but this is very much a European Super League backlash. 

But in that case it was an idea being floated. This appears to be a done deal.

BTW, who exactly is in the Group that made this decision? 

Edited by jw1739

So if the whole 5 reps from a league clubs is correct. (Us, victory Brisbane,  Syd and wsw). Out of the 5, Brisbane and victory have both come out today and said they are against it. Assuminh wsw and Syd voted yes, that would mean we were the ones that gave this a yes majority. God I hope not

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just want to know who was actually there - not just the clubs represented (Chris Fong says Brisbane wasn't even represented) - personal names, that's all. These people need to stand up and identify themselves and not hide.

Edited by HughJass

Barlow - Chairman Sydney FC
Di Pietro - Chairman Melbourne Victory
Lederer - One of three owners of Western Sydney Wanderers
Fong - Chairman Brisbane Roar
Evans - MD Silver Lake (resident North America - also member of audit committee City Football Group)
Koksal - resident Turkey, associated Galatasaray
Pearce - Board Member CFG, vice-Chairman Melbourne City

1 hour ago, Bannon said:

What happens after the 3 years wait for another state to win it? Makes this tradition nonsense mean nothing 

Yes, they are expecting other States and presumably New Zealand to put in bids, maybe even Nauru or the Cocos Islands. That's the tradition they're talking about....

• Haha 2