Melbourne Football

Light blue derby 10 December 2022 7.45pm

Le Hack

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, one or two odd selection decisions. Tilio surely deserving of a start.

Yes. You could hardly say that Tilio was "tired" after his World Cup. IIRC he didn't get a single minute. Possibly some other reason that we don't know of of course.

Very disappointing result.

We actually didn’t play too bad in the first half with some nice passing in between the lines. Faded in the second half as usual against strong opposition.

This game was always going to be hard. Some people perhaps underestimate Sydney.

In the first couple of rounds many teams failed to capitalise on the chances we gave them, Sydney took them, whilst squandering many still.

PK has also started with Jamo, had Tilio on the bench plenty of times. Only difference would have been perhaps Gomulka. PK always subbed Galloway on so did Rado.

I still see very much the same City  and not necessarily Rado’s hand here? But perhaps that’s what people mean, he won’t make his mark.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

There is a reason why Rado has never landed a senior manager position. Poor team selection and not creative enough. And perhaps he cannot motivate players. I presume that CFG are speeding up their managerial search.

Search? With 12 clubs in the CFG stable I just find it hard to believe that there isn't a single assistant coach ready to take over at City.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We actually didn’t play too bad in the first half with some nice passing in between the lines. Faded in the second half as usual against strong opposition.

This game was always going to be hard. Some people perhaps underestimate Sydney.

In the first couple of rounds many teams failed to capitalise on the chances we gave them, Sydney took them, whilst squandering many still.

PK has also started with Jamo, had Tilio on the bench plenty of times. Only difference would have been perhaps Gomulka. PK always subbed Galloway on so did Rado.

I still see very much the same City  and not necessarily Rado’s hand here? But perhaps that’s what people mean, he won’t make his mark.

Unless injuries interfered PK always had Good and Reis defensively. Lam never played an attacking midfielder role - Oneill & then Gomulka were preferred for that position. Jamo begun the season as a start up but then due to circumstances Bos started at left back until Jamo was available but then Jamo was unable to find his way back into the team. Also it has been quite a while since Nabbout has had a big impact on the field, hence Tilio became the preferred starting option.

You are right that pre-break other teams failed to capitalise and that City were wasteful. If you look at the comments on this forum then you will see that was always a problem. Similarly, the issue of substitutes. But for this game, the starting line up was different and unexpected. And it did not work. That is Rado's handiwork.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 11:56 PM, NewConvert said:

Unless injuries interfered PK always had Good and Reis defensively. Lam never played an attacking midfielder role - Oneill & then Gomulka were preferred for that position. Jamo begun the season as a start up but then due to circumstances Bos started at left back until Jamo was available but then Jamo was unable to find his way back into the team. Also it has been quite a while since Nabbout has had a big impact on the field, hence Tilio became the preferred starting option.

You are right that pre-break other teams failed to capitalise and that City were wasteful. If you look at the comments on this forum then you will see that was always a problem. Similarly, the issue of substitutes. But for this game, the starting line up was different and unexpected. And it did not work. That is Rado's handiwork.

Yes I’m making the assumption that Good wasn’t fit to start of course. Hence Gomulka not starting was the only odd one. The rest was pretty consistent to what we expect from this team , including the lack of subs.

Lam can play DM, he has done so through his career just not with us but I agree he was underwhelming.

Sydney is just a good side and if we are not at our best we won’t beat any of the top teams.

Lolley, Burgess and Caceras had an absolute field day on the ball.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

But yeah what’s going on with Andrew Nabbout eh!?

3 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Well, that's an interim coach saying interim coach things. Not someone who's going to get stuck in and make changes when things aren't going well. Not someone who's going to try and put his imprint on the club. I continue to be disappointed that the young guys on the bench don't get an opportunity to actually get some minutes. Smells of them being there just to meet the rule that there must be two of them on the bench.

Anyway, move on.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, that's an interim coach saying interim coach things. Not someone who's going to get stuck in and make changes when things aren't going well. Not someone who's going to try and put his imprint on the club. I continue to be disappointed that the young guys on the bench don't get an opportunity to actually get some minutes. Smells of them being there just to meet the rule that there must be two of them on the bench.

Anyway, move on.

Doesn’t sound like someone who would motivate the players before a match. 

7 hours ago, Mr MO said:

But yeah what’s going on with Andrew Nabbout eh!?

With Nabbout I think that when we had Luna, Atkinson and Metcalf he was able to get better options. I don't think that he has the same understanding with Talbot or RVB or Berisha. Hence he gets long or short balls. Also he can be one dimensional in that he attacks on straight linear fashion . Contrast with Leckie who twists and turns.

As I said I am not convinced by Talbot and I certainly would give more time to Galloway. Or at a longer shot Stokes.

But ultimately it is the mid-field that needs revamping. Put Leckie as the attacking mid-fielder.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Unfortunately the inside news is he's going to see out the season. If that's the case we're pretty much throwing in the towel at this stage... 

if that’s the case club should have been transparent to say that in the media release.

Fans should stop caring if the club doesn’t either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...