Melbourne Football

Socceroos World Cup 2022

Torn Asunder

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

If Kuol had somehow managed a goal (and I don't blame him) then I thought that in extra time the Socceroos would have overrun them. Argentina were visibly knackered.

None the less a $1.15B  vs a $60M team it was a great go.

We almost had them at the end. Aziz' run was the best of the match, and Kuol so close. Next time around just a little bit more emphasis on our attacking and we can go further. Poor old Matty Ryan - kept so well throughout the whole campaign and just one mistake gave them a goal.

• Like 1

I agree that Matty Ryan has to take most of the responsibility for their 2nd goal. However, i think Rowles playing back to him after Aziz had passed backwards was defenders abdicating their responsibility to try and play forward. Ryan could have cleared up the field with ball in hand but Australia needed to try and have possession to put pressure on Argentina. One of the two defenders could and should have got into a position to play forward even under pressure. I think that is the difference between the Socceroos and the next level. They need the technical proficiency to play forward and retain possession across the team. I wouldn't criticise Ryan for these reasons and he was faultless the rest of the tournament.   

• Like 3

We copped the Ryan goal that by and large most would regard as unlucky or even a gift. And as most teams try and play out it happens. 

What I think many are not really looking at is the Goodwin goal was 100% luck, the shot wasn't even close. Now I'm forever screaming shoot farken even when its highly unlikely, but scoring a goal like that in a knock-out game is comparable to winning the quadie on cup day.

But overall thats what makes this game so amazing, anything can happen and every know and then it does. 

As for the socceroos it brought back so many great moments for me, Charlie Yankos goal, that day in Kaiserlauten andd even that Zelic goal against the dutch.

Amazing adventure and I'm hoping we can get the same love for the chicks next year.

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We copped the Ryan goal that by and large most would regard as unlucky or even a gift. And as most teams try and play out it happens. 

What I think many are not really looking at is the Goodwin goal was 100% luck, the shot wasn't even close. Now I'm forever screaming shoot farken even when its highly unlikely, but scoring a goal like that in a knock-out game is comparable to winning the quadie on cup day.

But overall thats what makes this game so amazing, anything can happen and every know and then it does. 

As for the socceroos it brought back so many great moments for me, Charlie Yankos goal, that day in Kaiserlauten andd even that Zelic goal against the dutch.

Amazing adventure and I'm hoping we can get the same love for the chicks next year.

It was a cross, it looked like we did have a player running in at the far post, maybe Maclaren

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It was a cross, it looked like we did have a player running in at the far post, maybe Maclaren

Nah. Definitely a shot. Goodwin struck the ball from a point midway between the penalty circle and the LH corner of the penalty box. It deflected off the defenders head into the RH bottom corner of the goal. There was no-one near the RH upright.

If Goodwin meant a "curler" to the RH upright he wouldn't have blasted it as he did.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

For me the Ryan mistake was cancelled by the Goodwin deflection. And if Behich had scored that would have cancelled the Messi goal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

For me the Ryan mistake was cancelled by the Goodwin deflection. And if Behich had scored that would have cancelled the Messi goal.

Yep. We were beaten 2-1 by the third-ranked country in the world. And we scored with 13 minutes plus added time to go - it wasn't as if Argentina had the match in the bag and were just playing out time. It was a huge result whichever way you look at it.

• Like 1