Melbourne Football

A-League Season 2022-23 - Round-by-Round discussion of the other clubs

jw1739

47 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Who of us would have thought, just a few weeks ago, that we'd be heading into the finals with a wet sail and finding ominous form, whilst Adelaide caught a massive dose of the yips?

It was bound to happen to be honest. We were still getting results although missing 2 of our best players. Adelaide was on a great run and it had to end at some point. Looks like we are getting our full compliment back just in time for the business end of the season!

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It was bound to happen to be honest. We were still getting results although missing 2 of our best players. Adelaide was on a great run and it had to end at some point. Looks like we are getting our full compliment back just in time for the business end of the season!

Business is already done.

Is this you Danny Townsend?

I hope we’ve all seen the Cove statement, I trust we do the same and give the finals zero attention.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I hope we’ve all seen the Cove statement, I trust we do the same and give the finals zero attention.

Yeah your right, wrong choice of words. The business end was the last couple of rounds in the lead up to the league title!

I still won't be disappointed to win a grand final trophy, although I am dirty with the ridiculous decision to hold the final in Sydney!! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

agree about the GF and essentially any non City game, but largely disagree about the home semi.

a poor home semi crowd validates the decision to move the GF.  if we can't get a good crowd for the semi, why the fuck do we deserve to "naturally" host a GF when it can sold for a couple million irrespective of how many attend?

don't get me wrong, any poor crowd is also a reflection of the APL decision.  just it gives the APL the stats to back its decision.

a poor crowd also punishes our lads, who i am sure would love a strong home crowd to act as a 12th man.

On 25/04/2023 at 10:38 AM, mattyh001 said:

agree about the GF and essentially any non City game, but largely disagree about the home semi.

a poor home semi crowd validates the decision to move the GF.  if we can't get a good crowd for the semi, why the fuck do we deserve to "naturally" host a GF when it can sold for a couple million irrespective of how many attend?

don't get me wrong, any poor crowd is also a reflection of the APL decision.  just it gives the APL the stats to back its decision.

a poor crowd also punishes our lads, who i am sure would love a strong home crowd to act as a 12th man.

Depends whether you're prepared to stand for a principle or not.  The tradition, until now, had been for the higher-ranked club in the regular season to host the Grand Final. Even though the Asian Football Confederation had already removed the winner of the GF from qualification to the Champions League, most fans, including those who didn't think much of "finals," were happy to continue on because that's the way we do things in Australia.

APL trashed the tradition by selling the hosting rights for three years to Sydney, irrespective of who the grand finalists are, for a measly A$10m over three years, or around A$330,000 per club per year, citing financial pressures.

What makes it worse for City fans is that one of our directors was a party to the decision. The league's greatest-ever goalscorer, JMac, claimed that the players - presumably City players - knew nothing about the proposal or decision, yet it was later revealed that the PFA endorsed the APL decision. So I'm not too fussed about what the players actually think, because they could object via the PFA if they wished to.

My view is that fans have been completely dudded by APL. I'll be sad to miss any home finals matches, but I'll save the ticket money for what I hope will be home ACL matches.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Depends whether you're prepared to stand for a principle or not.  The tradition, until now, had been for the higher-ranked club in the regular season to host the Grand Final. Even though the Asian Football Confederation had already removed the winner of the GF from qualification to the Champions League, most fans, including those who didn't think much of "finals," were happy to continue on because that's the way we do things in Australia.

APL trashed the tradition by selling the hosting rights for three years to Sydney, irrespective of who the grand finalists are, for a measly A$10m over three years, or around A$330,000 per club per year, citing financial pressures.

What makes it worse for City fans is that one of our directors was a party to the decision. The league's greatest-ever goalscorer, JMac, claimed that the players - presumably City players - knew nothing about the proposal or decision, yet it was later revealed that the PFA endorsed the APL decision. So I'm not too fussed about what the players actually think, because they could object via the PFA if they wished to.

My view is that fans have been completely dudded by APL. I'll be sad to miss any home finals matches, but I'll save the ticket money for what I hope will be home ACL matches.

let me be very clear and as per my previous post, I completely agree about the fans being dudded - I was never arguing otherwise.  I am very extremely gutted about the GF being in Sydney.

frankly, I see any home game as a lose lose.  for which i understand that you speak about standing for "a" principle but which one are we talking about;

(a) supporting your team through out the season (even though there are bad apples attached) / not throwing the baby out with the bathtub, or

(b) saying fuck you to the club over it and burning the membership for the actions of one whose involved with the APL?  

i have complete respect for those who won't attend because of the GF decision out of principle.  for me, no qualms over non attendance.  of course, i would also expect that same principle would extend to the home and away games too.  

being upfront i have still attended the normal home and away games - through the  principle and desire to support the players and staff (who as you say would have known little of the GF) and not because i agree out of what's happened out with the GF.

as such, how can someone justify going week in week out during the season and then not support a home final?

maybe i'm in the minority here, i just dont think someone should go during the season and not a home final due to the whole GF situation.  its one or the other.

12 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

let me be very clear and as per my previous post, I completely agree about the fans being dudded - I was never arguing otherwise.  I am very extremely gutted about the GF being in Sydney.

frankly, I see any home game as a lose lose.  for which i understand that you speak about standing for "a" principle but which one are we talking about;

(a) supporting your team through out the season (even though there are bad apples attached) / not throwing the baby out with the bathtub, or

(b) saying fuck you to the club over it and burning the membership for the actions of one whose involved with the APL?  

i have complete respect for those who won't attend because of the GF decision out of principle.  for me, no qualms over non attendance.  of course, i would also expect that same principle would extend to the home and away games too.  

being upfront i have still attended the normal home and away games - through the  principle and desire to support the players and staff (who as you say would have known little of the GF) and not because i agree out of what's happened out with the GF.

as such, how can someone justify going week in week out during the season and then not support a home final?

maybe i'm in the minority here, i just dont think someone should go during the season and not a home final due to the whole GF situation.  its one or the other.

And let me be perfectly clear as well. I respect whatever decision anyone makes on this matter. In many ways I don't like being owned by CFG, but I still attend as many home league and cup matches as I can, but in my case trashing the GF tradition is a step too far. Quite frankly I don't buy the financial argument that lies behind the decision - football administration is just another example of the more money you give administrators the more they will waste.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And let me be perfectly clear as well. I respect whatever decision anyone makes on this matter. In many ways I don't like being owned by CFG, but I still attend as many home league and cup matches as I can, but in my case trashing the GF tradition is a step too far. Quite frankly I don't buy the financial argument that lies behind the decision - football administration is just another example of the more money you give administrators the more they will waste.

Agree, football admin has been a stye for growth of our sport since the formation of the NSL and has carried through to the formation of the ALeague, to much invested interests rather than looking for solutions that benefit the game as a whole. TBH the split from ALeague to the FFA is the best move in theory, if the FFA can get a second division going to potential P/R it would be great, but the state admin has to much power and has held football back quite a bit in this country.

As for the other I kind of agree, I still love the club but aren't thrilled by the owners even though they have brought a lot to the club, but supporters all over the world have owners come and go, sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.

Some people might feel strongly and decide not to be members or go to games, but still have an attachment to the team, I fully support the decision. It's up to the individual and by all reports City were one of the driving forces supporting the move for finals in Sydney. It's just a money grab, which sure our sport needs, but it has had detrimental effect on support, which overall is a loss, we want to grow the sport, not stifle it.

• Like 1

Methinks you are a little uncharitable. It was WU's win in Adelaide that handed us the Premiership after all....

Better to see trophies coming to states other than New South Wales; when they go to NSW it reinforces the blinkered view of FA and APL.

• Like 2

On 30/04/2023 at 7:51 PM, jw1739 said:

Methinks you are a little uncharitable. It was WU's win in Adelaide that handed us the Premiership after all....

Better to see trophies coming to states other than New South Wales; when they go to NSW it reinforces the blinkered view of FA and APL.

No not uncharitable at all.. just don't support a club who clearly lied when they were pushing for a licence promising a stadium would be built by now when it has only just finally started aswell as many other things..

Yeah they may have helped us against Adelaide but at the end of the day we finished 11 points clear so again it just meant we won it earlier than we would have if they hadn't had beaten Adelaide..

Edited by heart1011
Apologies. Fixing up the White Space.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

No not uncharitable at all.. 

Yeah they may have helped us against Adelaide but at the end of the day we finished 11 points clear so again it just meant we won it earlier than we would have if they hadn't had beaten Adelaide..

Totally agree.

Let's get real here, no one helped us, we won it all ourselves and we don't owe anyone anything. Despite the usual doomsday bs on here the moment we started dropping points, realistically it would've taken a near miracle for another team to go past us. In the end of the day, 11 points is a fair reflection of the distance between us and the other teams.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

No not uncharitable at all.. just don't support a club who clearly lied when they were pushing for a licence promising a stadium would be built by now when it has only just finally started aswell as many other things..

I'll respond to that. Again I think it's uncharitable to say that they lied. I'd rather have said how foolish they were to suggest that a stadium could be up-and-running according to the timetable put forward, and how utterly stupid the league was to accept that it was in any way possible. When was the last time in Victoria that any major infrastructure project was finished on time and on budget - I doubt that there have been many?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'll respond to that. Again I think it's uncharitable to say that they lied. I'd rather have said how foolish they were to suggest that a stadium could be up-and-running according to the timetable put forward, and how utterly stupid the league was to accept that it was in any way possible. When was the last time in Victoria that any major infrastructure project was finished on time and on budget - I doubt that there have been many?

I am currently in Japan, my first visit since the end of 2017. And I swear, that Tokyo has been rebuilt in that time. Many of my landmarks that I use to guide myself through the backstreets have disappeared and new buildings in their place. Heck they even built a new connecting road through one of the busiest commercial districts. It would take about 60 years in Australia to do teh same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I am currently in Japan, my first visit since the end of 2017. And I swear, that Tokyo has been rebuilt in that time. Many of my landmarks that I use to guide myself through the backstreets have disappeared and new buildings in their place. Heck they even built a new connecting road through one of the busiest commercial districts. It would take about 60 years in Australia to do teh same.

What an awesome place Japan is!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heart1011 said:

I have some serious questions about this.. the main one being how in the actual mcfuck are these 2 Victory's Marquee players??? Victory really have become the club that keeps on giving! 🤣🤣

FB_IMG_1683187621087.jpg

Probably because victory are cash strapped and those two are the 'best they can afford' 

Funny how the tables have turned and victory has now become the basket case club. No proper marquee, no good youth players, no Socceroos, no above average A-league players...

3 hours ago, heart1011 said:

I have some serious questions about this.. the main one being how in the actual mcfuck are these 2 Victory's Marquee players??? Victory really have become the club that keeps on giving! 🤣🤣

FB_IMG_1683187621087.jpg

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Would 100% take brilliante back 

Brillante won two League titles and two GFs with Sydney.  with us, Brillante won the brides maid treble.  certainly not a shite player - more so he's in a shite team.

Ikonimedis is not horrible either, he's won a league title with Perth and Australia cup with the tards.  he's played 17 times for the Socceroos. again shite teams make any player look bad.

and likewise, would take Brillante back at the right price.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Brillante won two League titles and two GFs with Sydney.  with us, Brillante won the brides maid treble.  certainly not a shite player - more so he's in a shite team.

Ikonimedis is not horrible either, he's won a league title with Perth and Australia cup with the tards.  he's played 17 times for the Socceroos. again shite teams make any player look bad.

and likewise, would take Brillante back at the right price.  

Nevertheless, I want to see more Academy players coming through to our senior side, not just 28/31-year-olds. Otherwise we're just producing Academy players for other clubs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Nevertheless, I want to see more Academy players coming through to our senior side, not just 28/31-year-olds. Otherwise we're just producing Academy players for other clubs.

agreed would love to see youth coming through to.

that said looks like we've lost O'Neill and Bereguer won't be around much longer.  

i could see Brillante (who's 30) doing a Rostyn Griffiths too - playing til his mid 30s as either a holding midfielder or as a centre back.  Griffiths was largely undervalued for what he could do in that role.