Melbourne Football

A-League Season 2022-23 - Round-by-Round discussion of the other clubs

jw1739

12 hours ago, heart1011 said:

Very true. @MHFC-FAN pointed out that the finals now are pretty much worthless apart from winning the toilet seat..

Finishing top you are clearly the top team for the season and gain ACL qualification.

Correct! Top is ACL and 2nd is AFC cup and winner of Aus Cup qualifies for this aswell. 

Adelaide in ominous form right now 😳

• Like 1

Smurfs are down 4-0 against the welfare cheats with 15 to play. hahahahahahahahahaha.

we're still a game clear of Adelaide, 2 games against the welfare cheats and have two games in hand (replayed derby and tomorrows game against the bullshits).  honestly believe the plate is firmly in our hands - comes down to sticking to strengths** and putting our chances away.

** that said, of course games are a thing of ebbs and flows; you adjust where forced to / required (eg red cards) **

On 14/03/2023 at 8:51 PM, heart1011 said:

Very true! And they gave away young aspiring talent! Just look at the likes of Tilio and Talbot! 

They are very much like Victory now.. try and sign a few big name players who are well past it. The average age of there squad now is all above the age of 30! Wilkinson for example is now 38 and is still there starting CB!

And after last night's fame Sydney FC gave away Calum Nieuwenhof and Aidan Simmons. But at least they kept Joel King 😆

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, citypool said:

I want to boycott the finals with the whole APL debacle but damn as useless as the admin Is I really like the sport. Finals will be 🔥 the way the season is finishing 

I certainly won't be going to Sydney should we make it.

But I do feel conflicted regarding any home game we get in the semis. Our players don't deserve an empty home game for what the APL has done 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

I certainly won't be going to Sydney should we make it.

But I do feel conflicted regarding any home game we get in the semis. Our players don't deserve an empty home game for what the APL has done 

I agree. I will go to as many matches that City play at home as I can, consistent with health issues with big crowds (such as derbies with MV), whether they be league, finals, FA Cup, ACL or AFC Cup, but I draw the line at going to Sydney if we get to the GF. And my position won't change. A pity, because it's something that a couple of us said we would do because we are getting older of course.

APL may yet see the folly of their ways and end the Sydney deal after the three years, and revert to the real tradition that we have. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. I will go to as many matches that City play at home as I can, consistent with health issues with big crowds (such as derbies with MV), whether they be league, finals, FA Cup, ACL or AFC Cup, but I draw the line at going to Sydney if we get to the GF. And my position won't change. A pity, because it's something that a couple of us said we would do because we are getting older of course.

APL may yet see the folly of their ways and end the Sydney deal after the three years, and revert to the real tradition that we have. 

i will believe it when i see it, but there will be a secondary benefit of us all drawing a line in the sand.

as soon as we get massive crowds whenever we play at home during the semis (think of point a below too) and a run of non Sydney teams in the GF (think of point b below too), and the APL be under pressure to revert. 

combine that with what what should be;

(a) good turn outs for other non Sydney teams (be it Victory, Adelaide, Perth, etc etc) during their respective semi final games, and

(b) lacklustre away bays in the GF because many fans wont be arsed travelling

fingers crossed we see change.

when you look at they AFL, the do by all means get good crowds either way (a benefit of having tradition over 100 years & something that points towards the tradition in the a league).

yet there is always a much bigger buzz when its Melbourne based teams. 

Edited by mattyh001

2 hours ago, heart1011 said:

Victory certainly just kind of did us a favour. If we can win this now against Macarthur then I feel like the plate is in our hands.. Adelaide will be the only challenger but have a much tougher draw than us in the remaining fixtures!

Well this aged well 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Ufuk Talay has been linked with just about every A-League job whenever there's a potential opening. I think he's got a fairly good thing going at Wellington, would be interesting to see if he'd move or not.

If this article is correct it sounds like it's happening... 

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/victory-shake-up-talay-in-line-to-replace-popovic-at-ailing-a-league-giants-592352

23 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Ufuk Talay has been linked with just about every A-League job whenever there's a potential opening. I think he's got a fairly good thing going at Wellington, would be interesting to see if he'd move or not.

Supposedly was going to take over in 2020 but Wellington blocked him so they got Brebner 

• 2 weeks later...

It's 2-3 now with 20+ minutes to go. I think we knew several matches ago that our wastefulness in front of goal could very well cost us, but the premiership is not over yet. If Adelaide win it, and further win the ACL place then they bloody well deserve it and we don't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Subtle reminder we have Newcastle tomorrow and the tards midweek (for which we're 1-0 up).  A lot can change in a week 

Edit - that's to say the fat lady certainly hasn't sung - not yet at least. It's not all doom and gloom 

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Subtle reminder we have Newcastle tomorrow and the tards midweek (for which we're 1-0 up).  A lot can change in a week 

Edit - that's to say the fat lady certainly hasn't sung - not yet at least. It's not all doom and gloom 

I’m extremely nervous with these 3 games in 8 days.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’m extremely nervous with these 3 games in 8 days.

i'm clearly not as worried - not yet anyway.

Newcastle are doing well but have very limited resources.  the fact we have had last weekend off has given the City boys the chance to settle and really work on things.  fingers crossed that's enough for us to put our chances away (which we should easily get).

we start 1-0 up against the tards, and they are away to Wellington today.  it's going to be just as challenging fatigue wise on Wednesday for them as it will be for us.

in terms of the Wellington game next week, they never travel well - they seem to always struggle in Melbourne.  it's also a week away. 

the focus should be on the next two, since we will have played our catch up game come Wednesday.  both are very winnable.  no need for panic stations yet.

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

i'm clearly not as worried - not yet anyway.

Newcastle are doing well but have very limited resources.  the fact we have had last weekend off has given the City boys the chance to settle and really work on things.  fingers crossed that's enough for us to put our chances away (which we should easily get).

we start 1-0 up against the tards, and they are away to Wellington today.  it's going to be just as challenging fatigue wise on Wednesday for them as it will be for us.

in terms of the Wellington game next week, they never travel well - they seem to always struggle in Melbourne.  it's also a week away. 

the focus should be on the next two, since we will have played our catch up game come Wednesday.  both are very winnable.  no need for panic stations yet.

I can see us losing to Victory and I can’t even remember the last time we’ve comfortably beaten Wellington.

Newcastle should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome round coming up.

we have the top four teams playing each other in a mirror of the semis coming up (should the table stay the same and CCM / WSW win their respective first final).  great prelude.  even though we have the title wrapped up, our performance against WSW will have bearing on the top four.  plus you don't want a finals opponent to have a psychological edge.

Newcastle play Sydney and are 3 points behind Sydney and Wellington.  Should Newcastle win and Wellington lose, goal difference comes into play.  Sydney have -3, Wellington -7 and Newcastle have -13.  Newcastle need to win big, but fascinating how things could play out.

Western United are also on 29 and -14 GD, so even they have an outside chance.  the final 6 positioning is all very fluid. 

edit: the Perth v Adelaide game is 4-4 with deep into injury time.  They will be on 29 with -9 GD.  they host Western United next week so another factor in play.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, citypool said:

I tell you I don't want to care about finals with the final bring in Sydney. But the actual matches are so much fun and I don't think I can not watch 

with the whole bullshit about the APL and GF, I too don't really care for the finals (and GF) this year.

that said, one of the reasons I have traditionally supported a finals series is that it makes the last few games of the season interesting - particularly when the top spot / league winners wrapped up a few weeks early.  you normally get some sort of battle for spots.

same goes for promotion and relegation battles.  there's always some sort of buzz about the impact results have on final positions.

• Like 1