Melbourne Football

A-League Season 2022-23 - Round-by-Round discussion of the other clubs

jw1739

23 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I have to say I am impressed with the way Perth Glory has progressed and how CCM still manage to be in the top 6.

Given the way PG started, I expected them to maybe win one or two games all season. And CCM have remained competitive even with the departure of Kuol.

Perth have improved a lot and no longer look like the wooden Spooners from earlier in the season... 

Mariners are certainly a good team on their day and can score plenty of goals. However they are inconsistent and have a poor defence. 

Makes for an interesting battle from 2nd-6th at the moment... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I have to say I am impressed with the way Perth Glory has progressed and how CCM still manage to be in the top 6.

Given the way PG started, I expected them to maybe win one or two games all season. And CCM have remained competitive even with the departure of Kuol.

Since Kuol left CCM have only won 2 of their last 5 with one of those a 2 - 1 win against Macarthur and only 1 point from their last 3 games....

They may be putting up a decent fight in games, but they appear they are no longer getting games over the line....

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, malloy said:

We have more points than both of the other two pub teams located in this state combined.

I didn't realise until this morning that the University of Tasmania Stadium, where last night's match was played, is what I used to know as York Park, Launceston, an Aussie Rules stadium. Why anyone is playing an A-League match there is beyond me.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I didn't realise until this morning that the University of Tasmania Stadium, where last night's match was played, is what I used to know as York Park, Launceston, an Aussie Rules stadium. Why anyone is playing an A-League match there is beyond me.

Haven't seen anything online, but there was discussion in the commentary about four more ALM franchises in the coming years, with Tas an obvious recipient. Hope they make a better job of picking the next four than they did the last two...

25 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Haven't seen anything online, but there was discussion in the commentary about four more ALM franchises in the coming years, with Tas an obvious recipient. Hope they make a better job of picking the next four than they did the last two...

Yeah it's obvious the comp ultimately needs to expand and 16 teams is a respectable amount, allowing for a 30 game season. You would think they should be setting up the next 4 teams in Canberra, Tassie, Queensland and either Perth or Adelaide for another local derby...

26 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah it's obvious the comp ultimately needs to expand and 16 teams is a respectable amount, allowing for a 30 game season. You would think they should be setting up the next 4 teams in Canberra, Tassie, Queensland and either Perth or Adelaide for another local derby...

14+ years residing in Hobart told me that Tasmania should not be considered I'm afraid. Mainlanders tend to think of it as "one place" with "one identity" but it's not.

David Gallop once said that we need a population of 1m+ to sustain an A-League club, and IMO he probably never spoke a truer word.

IMO we are inevitably looking at Canberra and then doubling up in Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

14+ years residing in Hobart told me that Tasmania should not be considered I'm afraid. Mainlanders tend to think of it as "one place" with "one identity" but it's not.

David Gallop once said that we need a population of 1m+ to sustain an A-League club, and IMO he probably never spoke a truer word.

IMO we are inevitably looking at Canberra and then doubling up in Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide.

Yeah fair enough, with local knowledge that does make sense to avoid Tassie. More likely to succeed in larger population centres too! 

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There will be the perennial arguments about Wollongong I guess. Tasmania definitely not one place, there's very much a north-south divide, and a substantial three hour drive between the two main cities. I guess the only model that might work is to play half and half north and south. But the difficulties are obvious. A shame, as there is a real soccer culture there.

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Looking like one of those weekends when almost nothing goes to form. Could end up not much worse at the end of the weekend than we started. 

And there we go. Mariners pick up only a point, and WSW and Adelaide play out a very entertaining draw. We lose, and we're still seven points clear, a game in hand, and far enough ahead in terms of goal difference to add another point to that. For all that others are getting better, and we aren't at our best every week, it's going to take a lot for anyone to catch us. It's the league that counts, finals are now hugely devalued. And it's the league that gets us into Asia.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And there we go. Mariners pick up only a point, and WSW and Adelaide play out a very entertaining draw. We lose, and we're still seven points clear, a game in hand, and far enough ahead in terms of goal difference to add another point to that. For all that others are getting better, and we aren't at our best every week, it's going to take a lot for anyone to catch us. It's the league that counts, finals are now hugely devalued. And it's the league that gets us into Asia.

IMO it's more the loss of face and losing to that lot when they're bottom of the league that's annoying. And there is a worrying trend in the way we are conceding goals.

In terms of goals from open play this league season, Leckie has 6 and JMac has 8, so Leckie is our main goal threat just at the moment.

• Like 1

The first one was never a red and that referee, as well as whoever was in the VAR, should never be allowed back into any sport. CCM lost the plot and will pay the price but more importantly the quality of the players continues to improve, the quality of the games continues to improve but the refereeing is going backwards.

39 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The first one was never a red and that referee, as well as whoever was in the VAR, should never be allowed back into any sport. CCM lost the plot and will pay the price but more importantly the quality of the players continues to improve, the quality of the games continues to improve but the refereeing is going backwards.

Thought the first red was within reason. It's not about if he did or didn't get the ball. It's about the recklessness of the challenge. Ultimately he slid in and tackled over the top of the ball. This can easily lead to serious injury, broken leg, etc.

Could it have been a yellow, sure. That's up to the ref. Slide in like that and you're at the mercy of the ref 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Thought the first red was within reason. It's not about if he did or didn't get the ball. It's about the recklessness of the challenge. Ultimately he slid in and tackled over the top of the ball. This can easily lead to serious injury, broken leg, etc.

Could it have been a yellow, sure. That's up to the ref. Slide in like that and you're at the mercy of the ref 

Agree.

Serious foul play.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct#:~:text=A tackle or challenge that,sanctioned as serious foul play.

It is the nature of the attempted tackle that defines "serious foul play" not whether there is injury or the extent of any injury.

Second red was a bloke losing his rag and poking his oppo in the eye. Often these things don't get the sanction they deserve, and I was glad he got the red. Need a few more like that. Also glad that dissent from the bench was punished. I haven't got much sympathy for dissent either. Shut your mouth and don't retaliate.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Not a bad round for us!

Give us plate already will you!

With Leckie out we need to keep it tighter at the back than these past few matches. And we have to have a better conversion rate in front of goal. I think we'd all like to see it safely in our hands with a couple of rounds still to go!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Not a bad round for us!

Give us plate already will you!

Not far away now. On mathematics alone we only need to collect 15 points from the remaining 9 rounds at an average of 1.66 points per game (this would put us on 52 points which is the maximum points the chasing pack could collect) . Mariners, WSW and Adelaide would therefore have to collect 24 points from their remaining 8 games at an average of 3 points per game (highly unlikely to happen) 

On a more realistic note, I believe we will wrap it up with another 12 points from here. We won the last two seasons on 49 points and I don't see this season requiring any more than that...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

not sure where to post this so will post here.

can someone please explain how come Canberra lose the 3 points from their A League Womens game on the weekend for possibly an innocuous 4th sub in 90th min injury time, yet the tards aren't  forced to forfeit the Xmas derby for bringing the game into disrupt, causing a game to be abandon and injury to people on the field through the stupidity of their fans?

edit: it just seems like complete and utter bullshit

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-06/canberra-united-a-league-women-stripped-points-substitutions/102058184

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3