Melbourne Football

A-League Season 2022-23 - Round-by-Round discussion of the other clubs

jw1739

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Watched the Celtic vs SFC game last night. Apart from SFC parking the bus I was not that impressed with the Celtic squad. I realise that they had a number of first XI players missing but in any case their depth wasn't as great as I expected. Perhaps the SNL is only slightly ahead of the A-League.

They had a second string team first half, only played a few days ago and flew out here and played, I reckon none of them would be used to it at all, a champions league match would only encompass the confounds of Australia, if that. It certainly shows how resilient our socceroos are, some have done that for qualifying.

The A League is underrated, this year is back to normal on the imports but the covid time saw a lot of young players get time, so this year is a really good mix and has stepped up from previous years, the pace of the game is quicker as well. I've watched a bit of the SPL with the Aussies there and there isn't much of a difference other than games played, any player doing well here will do well over there imho, most of our Aussies are standouts.

• Like 1

Yes, you're looking at a temperature range in Glasgow from about 2-7 degrees to Sydney about 12-20+ for starters. That's a tough ask. The standard of the SPL isn't that great either - it is basically Celtic and Rangers and to a lesser extent Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen, and then it tails off. And I don't think these tour matches are taken too seriously by the overseas clubs either. I've seen some pretty ordinary performances over the years and now don't even consider going along.

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, you're looking at a temperature range in Glasgow from about 2-7 degrees to Sydney about 12-20+ for starters. That's a tough ask. The standard of the SPL isn't that great either - it is basically Celtic and Rangers and to a lesser extent Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen, and then it tails off. And I don't think these tour matches are taken too seriously by the overseas clubs either. I've seen some pretty ordinary performances over the years and now don't even consider going along.

I think that the depth players would (or at least should) take them seriously. They don't get much opportunity to play in the first team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I think that the depth players would (or at least should) take them seriously. They don't get much opportunity to play in the first team.

I reckon the jet lag would have been a factor, they also could not have given a shit and were complacent, we are the backwaters of football. But players like Ideguchi haven't barely played in a year and being chucked in, it was a bit of a shit take from Ange.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

the Glory just beat WSW 1-0; a win against the nomads sends us at least 5 points clear with a game (the abandoned derby) in hand.

Guessing maths ain't your strongest. The win put us 6 points up with a game in hand. Potentially could be up 9 if and when we play the victory again... 

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Saw the last half of the Sydney vs Phoenix game. Shaun Evans is just a bad referee. And throw whoever was running the VAR under a train and lift the quality of sports refereeing across the world.

Just watched the highlights, that was shocking especially that second red card.

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Guessing maths ain't your strongest. The win put us 6 points up with a game in hand. Potentially could be up 9 if and when we play the victory again... 

thanks chief. more that there was potential, but hey relative maths since i did say at least 5 points clear ...

Edited by mattyh001

11 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

thanks chief. more that there was potential, but hey relative maths since i did say at least 5 points clear ...

Yeah all good. Probably was an unnecessary comment on my behalf. We're sitting nicely for this point of the season. Particularly when it seems only the Mariners and WSW are probably the only threats at this stage... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah all good. Probably was an unnecessary comment on my behalf. We're sitting nicely for this point of the season. Particularly when it seems only the Mariners and WSW are probably the only threats at this stage... 

Couldn't agree more about the Mariners and WSW. Even then we've built such a healthy lead it's on them to chase us down.

Easier said than done - just think back to the end of last season. we had a great lead going into the last two games because we had to play so many games before ACL duties.  Scum and Geelong were constantly under pressure to make up the difference.

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Couldn't agree more about the Mariners and WSW. Even then we've built such a healthy lead it's on them to chase us down.

Easier said than done - just think back to the end of last season. we had a great lead going into the last two games because we had to play so many games before ACL duties.  Scum and Geelong were constantly under pressure to make up the difference.

Particularly if we were to beat WSW next round they will likely struggle to claw back the difference... 

Think the only disruption to this season was the world Cup break as I don't think there's ACL until late this year /early next year. 

• Like 1

Remarkably good weekend considering we had a poor result. We're actually in a stronger position vs CCM and no worse vs WSW. Nix quietly creeping into contention and pretty much level with WSW. They will be there or thereabouts at the end of the seadon. A good footballing side who are particularly strong in front of their own fans. Our away win there now looks particularly creditable.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

They will be there or thereabouts at the end of the seadon. A good footballing side who are particularly strong in front of their own fans. Our away win there now looks particularly creditable.

I feel they are mostly threatening in NZ and will likely struggle in most away games. Maybe 4th at best for Wellington. It's looking most likely between us, CCM and WSW with a higher chance of it being a break away top 2 with the Mariners. 

I do feel like we will have a better finish than last season at this stage in time... 

7 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I feel they are mostly threatening in NZ and will likely struggle in most away games. Maybe 4th at best for Wellington. It's looking most likely between us, CCM and WSW with a higher chance of it being a break away top 2 with the Mariners. 

I do feel like we will have a better finish than last season at this stage in time... 

Just had a look at the results for WP this season and I think that they are doing just as well away as they are at home.