Melbourne Football

City vs. Phoenix, Sunday 30th October, 5.00 p.m. AAMI Park

jw1739

44 minutes ago, malloy said:

I dont mind a midfield 3 of O'Neil, Berisha and Leckie. I think some of Leckie's best games for us have been at CAM and it allows Tillio more time on the park.

Agree. Gomulka is physical but seems to lack the ability to be creative. However, the second half the team just faded, specially the midfield. And credit to Talay by making the three changes after half time, they brought the tenacity and speed that Phoenix lacked in the first half.

9 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Agree. Gomulka is physical but seems to lack the ability to be creative. However, the second half the team just faded, specially the midfield. And credit to Talay by making the three changes after half time, they brought the tenacity and speed that Phoenix lacked in the first half.

4th game in a row 2-0 up and in all these games we played poor second halves, with only going to 10 men against Brisbane as perfectly explainable.

Pattern?

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Horrible performance. We were second to the ball on almost every occasion and had no creativity whatsoever, just kept repeating the same moves over and over again. Don't understand why we are so shot-shy outside the box.

I'm guessing whoever shoots outside the both gets a spray from PK 

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Why was that second goal for Wellington allowed? It wasn't obstruction of Glovers vision? 

Don't know how that was allowed, the offside Wellington player literally had to jump out of the way.

Screenshot_20221031_063209.jpg.a18ae8ee4899986ba6b420f58bdae345.jpg

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I guess there’s a difference between line of sight and being in the line of the shot.

56 minutes ago, haz said:

Don't know how that was allowed, the offside Wellington player literally had to jump out of the way.

Screenshot_20221031_063209.jpg.a18ae8ee4899986ba6b420f58bdae345.jpg

I'll have another look but to me it would simply come down to if the offside player affects Glover in any way. 

Im entirely fine with their goal. Shouldnt be lost to the fact that was quite a sweetly hit goal ha. There's no way that player is actually affecting the keeper. If anything it just adds salt to the wound to the fact we were denied a toilet seat on the back of a shithouse decision.

My major gripe is that penalty that wasn't paid. The commentators on the replay made it out as though Jmac having control was a factor; fucking horseshit it is. You can't slide tackle a player in the box and make no contact with the ball period. Stonewall pen imo and ultimately cost us three points.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bt50 said:

Im entirely fine with their goal. Shouldnt be lost to the fact that was quite a sweetly hit goal ha. There's no way that player is actually affecting the keeper. If anything it just adds salt to the wound to the fact we were denied a toilet seat on the back of a shithouse decision.

My major gripe is that penalty that wasn't paid. The commentators on the replay made it out as though Jmac having control was a factor; fucking horseshit it is. You can't slide tackle a player in the box and make no contact with the ball period. Stonewall pen imo and ultimately cost us three points.

I think there is a distinction between our disallowed goal and Wellington's last night. When they showed the replay with the angle behind the shot you can see that at no time does their player obstruct Glover's view, the same cannot be said of our disallowed goal against Sydney.

Whilst disallowing our goal is technically correct, it is very frustrating as goals are frequently not denied in similar circumstances.

Re the penalty, agree that control of the ball has nothing to do with it (it will only impact what card, if any is given). I think it was a penalty, but don't think it was clear cut. The only thing I can think of as to why it wasn't given was that Jmac already looked to be hitting the deck before the contact.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, malloy said:

Re the penalty, agree that control of the ball has nothing to do with it (it will only impact what card, if any is given). I think it was a penalty, but don't think it was clear cut. The only thing I can think of as to why it wasn't given was that Jmac already looked to be hitting the deck before the contact.

And then it needs to be a clear and obvious error by the ref, he obviously wasn’t convinced after looking at the image.

I can’t remember which game it was but JMAC has done this before, anticipating on the clear contact but starting the downwards motion way too early - back then it was the same result, no penalty. Something to work on in his game smarts.

I still think its a clear and obvious error either way as the player slides into jmac and makes absolutely no contact with the ball. Jmac also gets a touch just prior to the contact, but either way i feel like its a moot point once Wootten leaves the ground and cleans a player up.

No amount of whinging will change it now i guess, but i feel like that one was more a case of ref not wanting to admit he got it wrong than any objective view of it tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TBH, that ref was shite all night ... he managed the game with no consistency or authority and looked out of his depth ...

TBF, Wellington also look good for goals all game. Ufuk is a decent tactical coach and he beat our team structures with his positioning against our style.   This happens most times when we get a decent run on and beat a few teams in a row.  A better tactical manager comes along and works out how to beat it and PK doesn't know how to respond.  They were just set up well to be effective in creating hesitation for our players moving forward, which then created a bunch of turnovers, that they were ready for, and when this happened, off they went

There 2nd goal came from an exact moment like this, where Leckie held the ball too long in attack.  He was seemingly in a good position, so our team moved into an attacking arrangement, but they created the turnover after he held the ball for a few seconds too long, and then went forward and eventually scored.

This game was always a danger after the derby win ... the only consolation I take is that we didnt lose (Heart days we would have lost 2-4)

Perth at home will be a good chance to bounce back.  They will absolutely look at what Wellington did and try the same 

• Like 2

Penalty shout aside I think the more concerning thing is (and has ben across most of our games under PK) is that we are god tier in the first half and limp home in the second. 

Understandably the high press is taxing and takes it out of us, but we are much less effective going forward when we don't have that going for us and while we have been good at putting ourselves in a strong position early when we don't I'm not sure if we can chase tail as such. 

9 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Penalty shout aside I think the more concerning thing is (and has ben across most of our games under PK) is that we are god tier in the first half and limp home in the second. 

Understandably the high press is taxing and takes it out of us, but we are much less effective going forward when we don't have that going for us and while we have been good at putting ourselves in a strong position early when we don't I'm not sure if we can chase tail as such. 

2-0 up for 4 games in a row.

It’s going to be interesting coming back after the world cup, it will be much warmer and thus easier to fatigue. And we know now, as PK and Jamo have shared that we have no Plan B.

We don’t have a striker who can hold up play and control the ball, our attacking moves are usually rapid and straight forward, this type of play takes a lot of energy.

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I still think its a clear and obvious error either way as the player slides into jmac and makes absolutely no contact with the ball. Jmac also gets a touch just prior to the contact, but either way i feel like its a moot point once Wootten leaves the ground and cleans a player up.

No amount of whinging will change it now i guess, but i feel like that one was more a case of ref not wanting to admit he got it wrong than any objective view of it tbh.

On the decisions, the first time Wellington had it in the net the decision to disallow for offside was very marginal to say the least. Conversely, the one that was allowed was IMO clearly offside - I don't see how a player inside the the six-yard box who is almost just standing in an offside position is not interfering with play.

On the disallowed penalty call? I'm with @bt50 - it was a clear penalty.

Despite all that I don't think we deserved to win it. Welly came with a plan and they executed it perfectly. Don't forget that they missed at least two absolute sitters. And once Plan A fails we all know that we have no Plan B and it was for me at least painful to watch as the second half went on, the players tiring and a coach who simply did not know what to do.

• Like 1

Oh boy how results can dictate opinion. 

After yesterday many doubts I formed last season mainly about game management and PK have suddenly reared up.Come the second half they made a triple change after 10 minutes or so and basically nullified everything we were doing. I felt at 60/65 minutes we needed a change big time , Gomulka and Oneil were on cards, Leckie and Talbot looked gassed.

We made changes but i don't think they worked. I would have liked to see, Galloway and Jamieson brought on, basically to solidify the back.  So I would have dragged Talbot and Tilio , for Jamieson/Galloway and Nabbout and pushed up Bos. 

Gomulka change made sense, but Van der venne didntdo himself any favours, he looked like a youth player trying to get a ball and then when he got it turned it over. I'm hoping it was just trying too hard, but a little bit concerned. 

Obviously my observations are done with hindsight but to drop points like that will come back to bite us in May.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jovan said:

After yesterday many doubts I formed last season mainly about game management and PK have suddenly reared up.Come the second half they made a triple change after 10 minutes or so and basically nullified everything we were doing. I felt at 60/65 minutes we needed a change big time , Gomulka and Oneil were on cards, Leckie and Talbot looked gassed.

We made changes but i don't think they worked. I would have liked to see, Galloway and Jamieson brought on, basically to solidify the back.  So I would have dragged Talbot and Tilio , for Jamieson/Galloway and Nabbout and pushed up Bos. 

Gomulka change made sense, but Van der venne didntdo himself any favours, he looked like a youth player trying to get a ball and then when he got it turned it over. I'm hoping it was just trying too hard, but a little bit concerned. 

Obviously my observations are done with hindsight but to drop points like that will come back to bite us in May.

Couldn't disagree with you anymore on Van Der Venne - to my mind O'Neill and Berisha were absolute sieves in the middle of the park in the second half. If Talbot puts that one away I think we're home and dry, but we really should have been able to weather that second half better.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Agreed @Jovan. So far I had been impressed with Talbot, but he wasn't working well with Tilio yesterday and IMO Galloway should have come on. Jamieson was needed for stability. Leckie was exhausted and at half pace. Neither Nabbout nor Van Der Venne made any impact, and I'm concerned with both VDV and Berisha - they don't seem at the level that was expected.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed @Jovan. So far I had been impressed with Talbot, but he wasn't working well with Tilio yesterday and IMO Galloway should have come on. Jamieson was needed for stability. Leckie was exhausted and at half pace. Neither Nabbout nor Van Der Venne made any impact, and I'm concerned with both VDV and Berisha - they don't seem at the level that was expected.

Berisha has been good, actually very good. He didn't dominate yesterday but wasn't poor if that makes any sense. VDV based on yesterday was disappointing, but i really wouldn't like to judge him yet. He needs minutes. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Prepared to let VDV settle in a bit more. He'sonly been used as a late sub and it's easy to forget that he played virtually no pre-season so his only time playing with our lot has been in 20 minute bursts, and even then only when we are tired and aren't really working the ball around effectively anyway. 

Agree, it would be good to give him a start. I also agree that Tabot has also been good, right up until his final ball that has generally been poor.

• Like 1

Give credit where it's due, i thought Wellington played well and asked sone questions of us that no other team has done so far this season. Certainly miles better than victory last week who never looked like threatening.

They probably went home thinking they should have won, likewise as we would have too.

Not ideal coughing up a 2 goal lead at home, but would rather it happen in Round 4 than at the pointy end.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, rass said:

Give credit where it's due, i thought Wellington played well and asked sone questions of us that no other team has done so far this season. Certainly miles better than victory last week who never looked like threatening.

They probably went home thinking they should have won, likewise as we would have too.

Not ideal coughing up a 2 goal lead at home, but would rather it happen in Round 4 than at the pointy end.

Their 4-2-2-2 meant that they could flexibly overload our lines. We've relied on our inverted FBs overloading opposing midfield, we didn't tactically adapt when it was done to us. Pls rigidity id "just be better at what we do", I agree that we need to do that, but being better also involves responding to the opponent's tactics

• Like 1