Melbourne Football

The derby 22nd October 7:45KO

kingofhearts

IMO you have to ask yourself what do the clubs themselves do before your look at the administration and the media. I can't speak about the other clubs, but Heart started in a blaze of "involvement" between the fans and the club, but much water has passed under the bridge since then and for whatever reasons we seem to have lost a lot of what we once had. We've also got a lot older as well. Remember the fanzine -  I used to write for it? Then the little publication from the club handed out before each match? The "inside" stories about who spent longer doing his hair, him or me - that sort of thing? "The City in the Community" monthly report? "City Voice?" "Citizens?"

IMO interest in the club peaked around the 2016/17 season. I think that there are many reasons why it has declined since then, and I think we have to look at all parties before we point the finger. Including those of us in the stands.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you have to ask yourself what do the clubs themselves do before your look at the administration and the media. I can't speak about the other clubs, but Heart started in a blaze of "involvement" between the fans and the club, but much water has passed under the bridge since then and for whatever reasons we seem to have lost a lot of what we once had. We've also got a lot older as well. Remember the fanzine -  I used to write for it? Then the little publication from the club handed out before each match? The "inside" stories about who spent longer doing his hair, him or me - that sort of thing? "The City in the Community" monthly report? "City Voice?" "Citizens?"

IMO interest in the club peaked around the 2016/17 season. I think that there are many reasons why it has declined since then, and I think we have to look at all parties before we point the finger. Including those of us in the stands.

Yeah okay but I couldn’t even find the round 3 ladder after a full weekend of football. Is that too much to ask from the national newspapers in the Monday morning edition?

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah okay but I couldn’t even find the round 3 ladder after a full weekend of football. Is that too much to ask from the national newspapers in the Monday morning edition?

The main newspapers all have vested interests in the two major footy codes (nrl and afl) Of course they're going to barely talk about soccer or any other sport which gets in the way of making profit.

It's also hard as well when we don't have as many good local players playing in high leagues overseas. Case in point- I asked my mum to name any current socceroo and she said Tim cahill lmao. Imo that's why basketball has overtaken soccer (in terms of interest) in this country. The amount of Aussies playing at the highest level (the nba) makes young Aussie kids wanna play it.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I wasn't critical of your original post, but we don't know how much effort APL actually puts in to its PR and news do we? My guess is that we don't push hard enough. I feel football in Australia is still too divided and too ready to blame its ills on everyone else instead of looking at itself. And we're not alone in that...

I still believe that the best way to publicise our game is a weekly (say Tuesday evening) 30-minute FTA highlights show featuring all the matches but a little more on the "Match of the Week" (clearly the Derby this week) with a decent panel, a really punchy production, and ending with the fixture for the following weekend.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wasn't critical of your original post, but we don't know how much effort APL actually puts in to its PR and news do we? My guess is that we don't push hard enough. I feel football in Australia is still too divided and too ready to blame its ills on everyone else instead of looking at itself. And we're not alone in that...

I still believe that the best way to publicise our game is a weekly (say Tuesday evening) 30-minute FTA highlights show featuring all the matches but a little more on the "Match of the Week" (clearly the Derby this week) with a decent panel, a really punchy production, and ending with the fixture for the following weekend.

Yeah sorry I wasn’t meant to defend myself in that sense.

I’m more in disbelief that our beloved sport has sunken that low that the national newspapers can’t even print a ladder or full round of weekend results of a national competition in the Monday edition, that all whilst the other sports are in offseason. It takes literally zero effort to do so.

I know Fox and the Murdochs have gotten rid of the TV rights but still.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

The league is doing better with attendance to start the season. We’re got fantasy/tipping, round ball rules and articles on KEEPUP also the weekly Docos. It’s a step in the right direction the a league is exciting we just need to market the players more.

Maclaren really should be the face of the league as well 

• Like 3