Melbourne Football

The derby 22nd October 7:45KO

kingofhearts

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Shocking second half. No intensity. Farking shithouse. 

Happy with the win of course!

But not convincing at all in that second half, at times we really struggle to connect, final passes, missed opportunity runs, those little short balls always just passed behind the players.

Surely Nabbout is injured, Tilio showed he shouldn’t be started and the Socceroos call was perhaps premature.

57 minutes ago, haz said:

We're playing boring, but I think we've killed the game pretty well. 

Pffff I can’t believe how many chances Victory still had though, surely we didn’t do that deliberately?! 

Killing the game is closing shop in the second half with 0-3 or 0-4 we didn’t do that unfortunately.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, moops said:

Brilliant, Leckie also needs to start centrally more, a significant improvement.

Lecks was great tonight physically, won a ton of duels and had some great touches.

Bos was fucking huge tonight, bullied Victory's geriatric, that run deserved a goal 

7 minutes ago, moops said:

Brilliant, Leckie also needs to start centrally more, a significant improvement.

I think he’ll get more time there. It does leave our left wing inexperienced. I’m not a fan of the Bos/Tilio tandem going forward. Tilio was so poor tonight. I can also see why VDV might not start in PK, looks rusty and clumpsy a little.

Edited by Mr MO

Happy with a win, but definitely need to make sure we finish games better as that second half was poor.

A special shout out to Tom glover,  as I've been hypercritical of him in the past, but so far this season, he has been nothing but impeccable between the sticks. Well done lad, keep it up

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

Happy with a win, but definitely need to make sure we finish games better as that second half was poor.

A special shout out to Tom glover,  as I've been hypercritical of him in the past, but so far this season, he has been nothing but impeccable between the sticks. Well done lad, keep it up

I've had a fair few cracks at Glover in the past, but you're right he was very solid tonight, and made some great passes under pressure. That Brilliante save was excellent. 

1 minute ago, TheStig said:

One question this game was a sellout and I couldn't buy a ticket but there were lots of green seats on TV. Why so?

There would have been some Victory members who didn't attend. Also,  if people buy  tickets for a group then often one or two of the group are lukewarm and don't bother to turn up. Even the old Heart-Victory Christmas Derbies were never actually sell-outs.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Gosh there's some shit on here.

Yeah not an unreal second half and it would've been fantastic to celebrate a goal down at our end. But to say we were bossed by them in the second half is total horse shit. 

Usually shitting myself to the final minute in a derby, but wasn't concerned in the slightest all game. Perhaps that's a good thing you know...

Great result, we're 3 from 3 including 2 wins from our derby rivals we couldn't do last season. Building beautifully.

nah every game has to be 5-0

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Apparently a bunch of members didn't show up

Crowd ended up being 23k

A system is needed like overseas where members need to indicate by a certain date whether they will be attending. That way unused seats can be sold to patrons who wish to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheStig said:

A system is needed like overseas where members need to indicate by a certain date whether they will be attending. That way unused seats can be sold to patrons who wish to go.

Something doesn't seem quite right about it being a "sell-out." I doubt that 7000 empty seats can be attributed to "members not turning up." 

12 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

12 hours ago, TJV said:

I've had a fair few cracks at Glover in the past, but you're right he was very solid tonight, and made some great passes under pressure. That Brilliante save was excellent. 

17 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

I'll take any win in a derby even if everyone is saying it was ugly, well deserved. Tom glover big improver, even if the early Brillante shot was right on him. Wonder how much the new GK coach we got this season has made an impact on him. Looks like a different man

completely agree about Glover's performance tonight (and this season), and think the new keeping coach could end up our signing of the season.

IMO the performance of both keepers last night was fantastic.  it really shits me when people lead with this "we should have won by 2-3 more" when the opposition keeper actually did their job / pulled out some good saves (worthy of goals at the other end).  keepers cop so much shite when they have a bad game / let in a howler that they deserve the praise when playing well / are making good saves. 

so massive credits to Glover (and to that extent Izzo).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rass said:

Gosh there's some shit on here.

Yeah not an unreal second half and it would've been fantastic to celebrate a goal down at our end. But to say we were bossed by them in the second half is total horse shit. 

Usually shitting myself to the final minute in a derby, but wasn't concerned in the slightest all game. Perhaps that's a good thing you know...

Great result, we're 3 from 3 including 2 wins from our derby rivals we couldn't do last season. Building beautifully.

Controlled. Whatever you want to call it. Without doubt they controlled the tempo. Easy to ignore now after coming through unscathed. The tone would be different had they scored, which they should have. Then there would be complaining how we let them back in the game.  

Overall wrapped with the win, always take a positive result especially against those scumbags. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Controlled. Whatever you want to call it. Without doubt they controlled the tempo. Easy to ignore now after coming through unscathed. The tone would be different had they scored, which they should have. Then there would be complaining how we let them back in the game.  

Overall wrapped with the win, always take a positive result especially against those scumbags. 

Exactly. And our propensity for a nervous last 10 minutes is well-known. We had two outstanding opportunities to wrap it up - Bos and then Tilio - but we didn't and that's still a weak point in our character.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Something doesn't seem quite right about it being a "sell-out." I doubt that 7000 empty seats can be attributed to "members not turning up." 

It was a sell out of available seats. That means on top of the Victory memberships, with stadium capacity of 29k, perhaps 8k tickets got sold?

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

Sorry mate, really have to disagree here. To my eye, victory have tweaked since last year and are possessing the ball more. They were 0-2 down in front of their big crowd, they were always going to fight. But i don't think they controlled anything and for any argument that they should've scored, well we so should we, twice as much. That score if anything, had more chance of being 0-5 than 2-2.

I reckon we comfortably dealt with them and when the opportunity presented, ran at them hard. 

We too often make a mountain out of a molehill here. Like seriously, who gives a shit about 'our propensity to be nervous in the last 10 minutes'. We can't just paint every single performance with that brush.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K-aram92 said:

Key points imo: 

1. Andy harper shouldn't be allowed to commentate city games as he had shown time and time again he is unable to remain unbiased. 

2. Leckie was fantastic in the middle of the park 

3. Tilio has no final product and needs to work on his finishing if he is to be considered a star of this league 

4. Best on ground (with leckie a close second) was Jordan Bos. I don't know how Harper could spend so much time praising Nani when Nani repeatedly attempted to take Bos on and was stopped in his tracks every time! Bos dominated that battle and should have had a goal to his name too after a spectacular run late in the game. 

I get that Nani is a big name, but he had an awful game. Gave a penalty away, went down repeatedly trying to claim a foul (and thankfully Alireza wasn't buying into it) and lost almost all his duels with Bos. 

Overall not the best second half, definitely needed to be more lethal and put the game to bed, but a win's a win and we are top of the league! 

Re Tilio - I agree. Also saw teh Macarthur game last Friday and felt the same about Arzani although I consider Tilio to be the better player as Tilio can press whereas I felt that Arzani was just lazy.

4 hours ago, K-aram92 said:

Key points imo: 

1. Andy harper shouldn't be allowed to commentate city games as he had shown time and time again he is unable to remain unbiased. 

2. Leckie was fantastic in the middle of the park 

3. Tilio has no final product and needs to work on his finishing if he is to be considered a star of this league 

4. Best on ground (with leckie a close second) was Jordan Bos. I don't know how Harper could spend so much time praising Nani when Nani repeatedly attempted to take Bos on and was stopped in his tracks every time! Bos dominated that battle and should have had a goal to his name too after a spectacular run late in the game. 

I get that Nani is a big name, but he had an awful game. Gave a penalty away, went down repeatedly trying to claim a foul (and thankfully Alireza wasn't buying into it) and lost almost all his duels with Bos. 

Overall not the best second half, definitely needed to be more lethal and put the game to bed, but a win's a win and we are top of the league! 

In the few games Leckie has played in the CAM role, he has done very well.  For me our best XI is starting to look like (apologies for shit formatting):

Talbot-Lam-Good-Bos
---------O'Neil--------
----Berisha-----------
-----------Leckie-----
Nabbout-----------Tillio
---------JMAC---------

I think VDV, looks reasonably solid (did make some sloppy mistakes last night), but don't think he is replacing any of the above in the  midfield three.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rass said:

Sorry mate, really have to disagree here. To my eye, victory have tweaked since last year and are possessing the ball more. They were 0-2 down in front of their big crowd, they were always going to fight. But i don't think they controlled anything and for any argument that they should've scored, well we so should we, twice as much. That score if anything, had more chance of being 0-5 than 2-2.

I reckon we comfortably dealt with them and when the opportunity presented, ran at them hard. 

We too often make a mountain out of a molehill here. Like seriously, who gives a shit about 'our propensity to be nervous in the last 10 minutes'. We can't just paint every single performance with that brush.

I tend to agree. At 2-0 ad against 10 men, I thought we were comfortable to not take any risks and if that meant they had a bit of possession and decided to commit an extra number to the attack in order to force things, we'd then have a numbers advantage over the back. And tbf we had several opportunities to do just that and didnt convert. Likewise, if we'd gotten the third i daresay its shackles off and go at them.

Ultimately i thought they looked highly unlikely to score in the second half and were going to need some sort of a worldie to even get a look in.

Side note - very well coached by PK last night. We've added the strings to the bow to address our weaknesses from last year, and we even looked quite tidy at set pieces last night imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, K-aram92 said:

had an awful game. Gave a penalty away, went down repeatedly trying to claim a foul (and thankfully Alireza wasn't buying into it) and lost almost all his duels with Bos. 

Agree. Thought he was pretty terrible, repeatedly failed to beat his man, often bodied off the ball, the penalty was bad from him, and then at the end tees off about how the Ref ruined the game by making the right calls? 

Very happy with that performance in the first half. Very hard to fault and Leckie was incredible. Thought we lacked the same intensity in the second half and I'm not sure it was completely on purpose, so room for improvement still, but didn't really feel like we were gonna throw it away. 

1 hour ago, Dezy94 said:

How good was Bos. Credit to the academy system, firmly in the starting 11 now, any other club Galloway wouldn't be sitting on the bench.

Don't count on Bos staying in starting XI, if both Good and Jamo are fit next game then I have a feeling PK will drop Bos, despite it being Jamo who should be kept out of starting XI.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Sad opening some of the newspapers this morning with literally zero coverage of any A-league games, the agenda is so obvious and pathetic really.

Tbh I don't think its as much of an agenda as people think.

The sad reality is simply that fuck all people give a fuck about the A-league.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, malloy said:

To a degree it is chicken or egg though.

The league needs to given opportunities to be front of mind for people, and be normalised as a sporting option. Lack of media coverage means that it continues to be thought of as a second tier sport not worthy of consideration. Sure media need people to be interested, but also people become interested through the media. 

I don't doubt that for many media organisations it isn't deemed a big enough market to bother with, but multiple crowds this season over 10,000 and a derby crowd of 23K would indicate there is some interest to work with. 

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I see 2 pages of what offseason AFL players have for breakfast. Is hey what people want? It’s off-season for AFL and NRL.

Surely Australian sports lovers would to read a little bit about football.

It’s deliberately left out with the aim to slow down the sport.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I see 2 pages of what offseason AFL players have for breakfast. Is hey what people want? It’s off-season for AFL and NRL.

The game in this country is a minority sport. 

For decades we've been hearing about the sleeping giant, but reality is majority of the population just don't like soccer. 

We are battling for relevance and are probably on the same level as basketball, although basketball has improved in last 5 years, but generally speaking we are small fish. 

I've given up as to why.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Their was coverage in the Herald Sun on Saturday and Sunday but that’s it 

• Like 1