Melbourne Football

The Optus Hack

jw1739

I've never had an account with Optus nor have I ever enquired about one, but the volume of spam and nuisance/scam messages and calls to my computer, landline and smartphone has greatly increased these past couple of weeks. It's just getting absurd.

Scam messages purporting to be from MyGov are one that stands out. Another is fake pop-ups purporting to be from McAfee. I have a subscription to the latter and it beggars belief that a so-called cyber security company can't or won't stop them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondered if anyone can explain to me in layman's terms just what are the various trackers that my iPhone says have been prevented from profiling me? Some that are listed appear to be watching government and other entities such as the Victorian Electoral Commission and Australia Post.

I don't understand it at all.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Just wondered if anyone can explain to me in layman's terms just what are the various trackers that my iPhone says have been prevented from profiling me? Some that are listed appear to be watching government and other entities such as the Victorian Electoral Commission and Australia Post.

I don't understand it at all.

Basically any site can download trackers into your devices. Theoretically, you should be warned when a tracker is trying to profile you and be asked as for permission. And yes government agencies and entities do it as well as various commercial interests. Visit a website that may have pricked your curiosity? It can do it. Why do they do it? for data analytics - how often you use their services, from where, etc. Hence I was looking at health insurance last week and all advertising on my web pages is about health insurance. Of course amongst these sites that you visit, there will be the nefarious ones.

once Optus was hacked it was only a matter of time before all corporations were going to be tested by criminal hackers. Australia is very lax in it's laws and companies just don't want to spend the effort in beefing their security.

• Like 1