Melbourne Football

Forum Best Player Award Season 2022-23

The Aardvark

• 2 weeks later...

---------------------------

vs CCM

A focused collection of votes saw only 4 players represented. Glover's strong performance saw him amass 15 votes, with only 1 voter not seeing him as worthy. Bos was next in line with 10, then Berenguer with 3 and Berisha with 2 at the bottom end.Ā 

CCM draw. 2 votes to Tom Glover, 1 vote to Jordan Bos.

vs WesternĀ 

Maclaren comprehensively smashed this game, collecting all the 2's to finish with 18 votes. The rest were fairly evenly spread, 3 each to Glover and Berenguer who picks up his first (half) vote for the season, Nabbout earned 2 and Leckie put his name back in the mix with 1.Ā 

Western win. 2 votes to Jamie Maclaren, 0.5 votes to each of Tom Glover and Florin Berenguer.Ā 

vs WSW

The final match of the regular season had a great turnout, seeing Tilio collect all the 2's for 22 votes. Bos was next with 4, then Talbot with 3, and Reis and O'Neill scored 2 each.Ā 

WSW win. 2 votes to Marco Tilio, 1 vote to Jordan Bos.Ā 

Leaderboard after 26Ā actually complete games regular season games

We've seen a real tightening at the top, with our 4 leaders all being within 2 votes of the lead. Glover has taken it from the largely absent Leckie, Tilio has made a very good charge and is maybe in the best form of the contenders, and Bos continues his impressive season to be all but assured of a top 4 finish. The order might seem a little but out with peoples perceptions (mostly Glover at the top), but it's hard to dispute the top 6 players haven't been our standouts all season.Ā 

12.5 Tom Glover

11.5. Mathew Leckie

11. Marco Tilio

10.5. Jordan Bos

8. Aiden O'Neill

7.5Ā Jamie Maclaren

6. Richard Van Der Venne

3.5. Valon Berisha

2. Curtis Good

2. Callum Talbot

1.5Ā Thomas Lam

1. Max Caputo

0.5 Nuno Reis

0.5 Florin Berenguer

Fwiw we will continue this through the finals, despite them carrying a little less weight than previous seasons. I find it hard to argue that a good performance in a final in Sydney isn't worth as much as it is in a shitty nil all draw in Brisbane.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Who would have thought that Glover was going to be the forum's player of the season way back in round 1.

It's the nature of the scoring. Not specific to the Forum either. Players who have poor matches don't get negative votes, and the system tends to reward players who have a few outstanding matches rather than just being consistent.

The problem with more complex systems is that they take a lot more administration. I would prefer the 3-2-1 system, but I think we do pretty well on the Forum as it is and a big thank you to @The AardvarkĀ is in order from the rest of us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/05/2023 at 4:40 PM, jw1739 said:

It's the nature of the scoring. Not specific to the Forum either. Players who have poor matches don't get negative votes, and the system tends to reward players who have a few outstanding matches rather than just being consistent.

The problem with more complex systems is that they take a lot more administration. I would prefer the 3-2-1 system, but I think we do pretty well on the Forum as it is and a big thank you to @The AardvarkĀ is in order from the rest of us.

I prefer the 321 usually (use a 4321 on an AFL forum), but with the smaller match squads here I think having to dish out more votes quickly diminishes their value, especially in a poor performance, and if anything is a disincentive to vote.

On 12/05/2023 at 4:20 PM, NewConvert said:

Who would have thought that Glover was going to be the forum's player of the season way back in round 1.

Think it reflects well on him. I don't think he has had any proper bad games, and has been instrumental in quite a few of our results so deserves the credit. He is easy to find faults with but when he is good he is influential.Ā 

My votes for the semi

2. Glover

1. Berisha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lucklustre voting turnout in the finals series doesn't change my decision to include them, if you don't like it then please feel free to add an a big asterix to the results.Ā 

vs Sydney Leg 1

Glover unanimously our best with 16 votes, Leckie and Berisha equal next with 3 a piece and Bos jagging 2.Ā 

2 votes to Tom Glover, 0.5 votes each to Valon Berisha and Mathew Leckie

vs Sydney Leg 2

A lower voting turnout despite the better result, Tilio lead with 6, then Good with 4 and O'Neill the only other player to receive recognition with 2.Ā 

2 votes to Marco Tilio, 1 vote to Curtis Good

GF vs CCM

Another uninspiring turnout, this time justified by the result. Glover won with 4, O'Neill and VDV each received 2 with Tilio getting 1.Ā 

2 votes to Tom Glover, 0.5 votes each to Aiden O'Neill and Richard Van Der Venne.

--------------

Bringing us the the conclusion of the campaign saw an underwhelming finals series, and a poor voter turnout. Nevertheless there was one big change, with Tilio moving up a spot in the placings to finish second.Ā 

16.5 Tom Glover

13.Ā Marco Tilio

12.Ā Mathew Leckie

10.5. Jordan Bos

8.5. Aiden O'Neill

7.5Ā Jamie Maclaren

6.5. Richard Van Der Venne

4. Valon Berisha

3.5. Curtis Good

2. Callum Talbot

1.5Ā Thomas Lam

1. Max Caputo

0.5 Nuno Reis

0.5 Florin Berenguer

Ā 

Congratulations to Tom Glover, comfortably winning the forums best player award from Marco Tilio and Mathew Leckie.Ā 

Edited by The Aardvark
  • Like 1

Fwiw the proportional result looked as follows

Glover 12.8

Tilio 12.2

Leckie 10.9

O'Neill 10.1

Bos 8.7

VDV 7.4

JMac 6.4

Berisha 3.9

Good 3.6

Talbot 3.2

Lam 2.7

Florin 1.5

Nabbout 1.3

Caputo, Reis 1

Jamieson 0.4

And games polled in (anybody gave them a vote) was:

17Ā O'Neill

13Ā Glover, Leckie, Tilio, Bos

10 VDV

9 Lam, Berisha, Good, Talbot

8 JMac

4 Reis, Florin

3 Nabbout

2 Jamieson

1 Caputo

0 Galloway, Gomulka, Hall, Oresti, Sutton, Sulemani, Raphael, Stokes, Durakovic

• Like 1

I would never accuse any player of not trying (although some do get pinged for "fixing" or attempted "fixing") but it would not surprise me in the least if the decision on the GF affected the players' commitment to the match.Ā 

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would never accuse any player of not trying (although some do get pinged for "fixing" or attempted "fixing") but it would not surprise me in the least if the decision on the GF affected the players' commitment to the match.Ā 

Yeah you could tell something wasn't right from the get go hey!

Wonder if it at all had to do with the fact they knew that Lam and VDV were leaving after that game too?

Edited by heart1011

7 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Yeah you could tell something wasn't right from the get go hey!

Wonder if it at all had to do with the fact they knew that Lam and VDV were leaving after that game too?

Maybe the players were upset that some people made the trip?

• jw1739 unpinned this topic