Melbourne Football

Forum Best Player Award Season 2022-23

The Aardvark

56 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m refraining from voting, nobody stood out and everybody was as poor as each other.

Glover had my vote but towards the end got shaky and put the nerves back in the defence.

I'm afraid I'm the same. Glover and Tilio were possibly our best, but I don't think anyone stood out as worthy of a vote. 

Geez we really don't like voting when we lose, just three voters this week, less than we had when the forum was literally inaccessible for multiple days. Tilio takes it out with 4 votes to his name, Good a close second with 3, while Talbot makes it 3 out of 4 games where he has snagged a vote, this time a pb of 2.

Phoenix result. 2 votes to Marco Tilio, 1 vote to Curtis Good.

Leaderboard after 4 games

Leckie retains his spot at the top and remains the only player to poll in more than one game. Unsure if this demonstrates the evenness of our squad or just that we lack a particular player that we can rely on. 

4. Mathew Leckie

2. Valon Berisha

2. Marco Tilio

1. Tom Glover

1. Jordan Bos

1. Curtis Good

0.5. Thomas Lam

0.5. Jamie Maclaren

Fwiw voting is just gonna close late in the week at an arbitrary time when I decide, so if you do choose to vote try and do so in the first 3 days or so. 

Edited by The Aardvark

29 minutes ago, bt50 said:

To me it didnt really feel like anyone stood out on the weekend tbh, not sure what others thought.

It is a difficult one, when we struggle it is hard to find positives although I'd argue a number of players performed their role fairly well and would've been in the mix for votes had one of Wellingtons goals not gone in, which is the weird part with soccer where an (obviously key) moment like that can turn a players game from good to not significant even if they had no material effect on that goal. 

Conversely when we win it feels like there are a number of players to give votes to, even if the only difference between two games is that say Maclaren hits the target with one shot and misses in another. 

43 minutes ago, bt50 said:

To me it didnt really feel like anyone stood out on the weekend tbh, not sure what others thought.

Likewise. And add to that the late match collapse, and I just didn't think that anyone deserved a "best player" nomination. Had we hung on to win I might have named Tilio and Glover, but overall I felt that the team looked stale and had little self-confidence.

Who was captain BTW? I get thoroughly confused by that red Macca's label on the jersey and keep thinking it's the armband.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Likewise. And add to that the late match collapse, and I just didn't think that anyone deserved a "best player" nomination. Had we hung on to win I might have named Tilio and Glover, but overall I felt that the team looked stale and had little self-confidence.

Who was captain BTW? I get thoroughly confused by that red Macca's label on the jersey and keep thinking it's the armband.

Well Macca was captain actually.

• Haha 1

A good performance saw quite a few players in contention and a return to form from voters. 7 players scored mentions, up from a previous record of 5. Leading the charge were Leckie and Tilio, with 9 a piece (Leckie would win on a countback system fwiw with 4 MOMs vs 3). The rest were fairly evenly spread around, Van Der Venne managed 3 votes in a good response to some questions raised about him on here this week, O'Neill and the almost ever present Talbot scored 2 votes each, while Maclaren and Jamieson also received 1 vote. 

Glory result. 1.5 votes to each of Marco Tilio and Mathew Leckie

Leckie clearly ahead of the rest at this stage with outstanding form prior to the World Cup, while Tilio emerges from the pack despite only 3 starts. 

5.5. Mathew Leckie

3.5. Marco Tilio

2. Valon Berisha

1. Tom Glover

1. Jordan Bos

1. Curtis Good

0.5. Thomas Lam

0.5. Jamie Maclaren

2 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

A good performance saw quite a few players in contention and a return to form from voters. 7 players scored mentions, up from a previous record of 5. Leading the charge were Leckie and Tilio, with 9 a piece (Leckie would win on a countback system fwiw with 4 MOMs vs 3). The rest were fairly evenly spread around, Van Der Venne managed 3 votes in a good response to some questions raised about him on here this week, O'Neill and the almost ever present Talbot scored 2 votes each, while Maclaren and Jamieson also received 1 vote. 

Glory result. 1.5 votes to each of Marco Tilio and Mathew Leckie

Leckie clearly ahead of the rest at this stage with outstanding form prior to the World Cup, while Tilio emerges from the pack despite only 3 starts. 

5.5. Mathew Leckie

3.5. Marco Tilio

2. Valon Berisha

1. Tom Glover

1. Jordan Bos

1. Curtis Good

0.5. Thomas Lam

0.5. Jamie Maclaren

Crazy to think Jmac has barely managed many votes yet has had one of the best starts to a season in A League/City history... That's some starting 11 for ya

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Crazy to think Jmac has barely managed many votes yet has had one of the best starts to a season in A League/City history... That's some starting 11 for ya

It shows that in peoples opinion; being the best player on the pitch doesn’t mean you have to score all the goals. I’m fine with that.

• Like 4

IMO Soccer is a team game and it takes 11 blokes all working together but its goals that determines results. Ive watched many teams over the years have outstanding players and play a really nice style but can't score including us early days. We've been blessed in the last 5 or 6 seasons to have quality finishes upfront. Before the player that shall not be nameds injury he was exceptional, but to have him replaced with arguably a better and more consistent finisher has been a blessing. Maclaren should be recognised more, and I honestly believe without him we wouldn't have won anything, and yes this season so far he is in career best form and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned a few heads and silenced the many critics during the WC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

IMO Soccer is a team game and it takes 11 blokes all working together but its goals that determines results. Ive watched many teams over the years have outstanding players and play a really nice style but can't score including us early days. We've been blessed in the last 5 or 6 seasons to have quality finishes upfront. Before the player that shall not be nameds injury he was exceptional, but to have him replaced with arguably a better and more consistent finisher has been a blessing. Maclaren should be recognised more, and I honestly believe without him we wouldn't have won anything, and yes this season so far he is in career best form and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned a few heads and silenced the many critics during the WC.

You should vote for him every game 😛!

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

As always @Jovan you make a very good point, but it very much depends on how you interpret the words "best player." Clubs and competitions recognise the top goal scorer via the Golden Boot Award; sometimes the Golden Boot winner is also the Player of the Year (or whatever the appellation is), but oftentimes not. Likewise City follows on from Heart and has the Clubman Award to the player who best espouses the values of the club, again an assessment on different criteria.

Also this Forum embraces people with views right across the spectrum of opinion, and so far Jmac hasn't scored much in the "best player" category. But I don't think that means he's not highly valued by the fans on the Forum. One thing I like about Jmac is that he is always brutally honest about himself and the team, and IMO he has great respect from the fans for that as well as his goals.

• Like 2

I think the terms 'best player' and 'most important player' are not necessarily the same things and as Jovan alluded too, sometimes the glue isnt the most obvious part in a machine, but its what holds the rest together.

In that sense i think Jamie is definitely underrated on here by some, and whilst he's not the sort of player you look at frequently in terms of votes, he's without a shadow of a doubt one of our most important players in the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's certainly an all or nothing player too. Maclaren is largely about seizing his moments, he doesn't really get involved in build up play, and isn't even much of an assist player up front. He's a hard one to vote for because he doesn't really do anything aside from score goals, which is obviously the important bit, but it means he can't build up a base of "points" from good games that don't result in goals. 

Leckie for example has in effect been no more dangerous than JMac this season, but point scores much better partly because he as moments that don't have to end in goals to be impressive. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic