Melbourne Football

7th Oct, 7:45 KO vs WU

kingofhearts

6 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Lol. 

They released the squad yesterday, and have already had three players withdraw and one player come in who wasn't named in the squad? 

This league is terrible at giving supporters information. 

Also Tilio bench behind Bos? 

Bos will probably play LB as Jamo will probably have to fill in centrally alongside Lam.

A league is back baby.

Berisha looks like a gem. Cheeky F bomb in his first post match presser has him up there with the all time city/Heart greats in my mind hahaha.

Happy with the first half and should have easily been up by 2 going into half time. 

Lost a bit of control in the 2nd half as fatigue set in, but WU was pretty trash.

Bos was great, Leckie had some good moments, mixed with some garbage, which seems the usual. Talbot good as well, and surprised by Jamo and O'Neil together, pretty solid performance at the back.

Shame about conceding so late, but I feel like we're only gonna get better as the feel team comes back into action. 

Just quietly, suck a fat one Aloisi. 

• Like 1

Really happy with that.

Berisha looked great and very dangerous. Thought Leckie was very good and influential. Jamieson is actually a pretty handy CB, although helps we were up against a very small attack. Talbot was lively on the right and reminded me a little of Atkinson, while aesthetically looking like a face merge of JMac and Leckie. 

Usual lack of subs from PK, and Tilio was mostly unsighted except for two very good opportunities, one of which should have been a red to Lacroix. 

Also pleasing to see Glover have a good game and he would've deserved a clean sheet. 

• Like 5

A good win, I'm so pleased my prediction was wrong!

Positives: 

A first game win and the first against WU in a year. Lucky John got his tactics wrong, and WU is trying to play with the ball; that suits us far better than a tight defence and clinical counter-attack like last season.

We had a functional midfield tonight. Valon B can play with us forever if this is an example of what he can produce. Finally, we have someone who can deliver dangerous set pieces.

It's the first time a player named Berisha has played 90 minutes in the A league without diving or rolling around.

Lam and Talbot look to be handy additions. Hopefully, Lam is OK

Much more confident performance from Glover - the new goalkeeping coach is helping him with positioning, decision making and his confidence.

Negatives:

We started slowly and almost conceded but recovered well and played a very good first half.

We dropped intensity and allowed WU into the game after our second goal.

We shouldn't have conceded late.

Too many late withdrawals and injuries in key players. Does our Dutch player even exist?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

A good win, I'm so pleased my prediction was wrong!

Positives: 

A first game win and the first against WU in a year. Lucky John got his tactics wrong, and WU is trying to play with the ball; that suits us far better than a tight defence and clinical counter-attack like last season.

We had a functional midfield tonight. Valon B can play with us forever if this is an example of what he can produce. Finally, we have someone who can deliver dangerous set pieces.

It's the first time a player named Berisha has played 90 minutes in the A league without diving or rolling around.

Lam and Talbot look to be handy additions. Hopefully, Lam is OK

Much more confident performance from Glover - the new goalkeeping coach is helping him with positioning, decision making and his confidence.

Negatives:

We started slowly and almost conceded but recovered well and played a very good first half.

We dropped intensity and allowed WU into the game after our second goal.

We shouldn't have conceded late.

Too many late withdrawals and injuries in key players. Does our Dutch player even exist?

It is a concern that there are so many soft tissue injuries this early in the season. We had two and a half during the game: Nabbout, Lam and Talbot. And then there are the others already in the sideline.

• Like 2

That was the best season opener performance I can remember from us, I expected us to be good but honestly not that good. 

Western were lucky not to lose that by 3-4 goals in the end. New signings look terrific and the core squad look as hungry as I've seen them. Great cause for optimism, only real concern is the injury front but I'm comfortable with the depth of our squad for now.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

Really happy with that.

Berisha looked great and very dangerous. Thought Leckie was very good and influential. Jamieson is actually a pretty handy CB, although helps we were up against a very small attack. Talbot was lively on the right and reminded me a little of Atkinson, while aesthetically looking like a face merge of JMac and Leckie. 

Usual lack of subs from PK, and Tilio was mostly unsighted except for two very good opportunities, one of which should have been a red to Lacroix. 

Also pleasing to see Glover have a good game and he would've deserved a clean sheet. 

Nice summary.

A good result after a poor pre-season, with the usual Heart flutters towards the end. Had WU scored in those first few minutes it might have been a different story however. Thought the defence stood up well, and if given a vote would have given it to Callum Talbot. And Glover made some nice stops.

We were gifted by two goals by Lecroix and our forwards are a frustrating lot to watch - conversion rate very low. Mind you, I couldn't see anything wrong with the first disallowed goal; the so-called foul was just a collision as far as we could see and it was right in front of us. Agree that the blatant deliberate trip by Lecroix in the last few minutes should have been rewarded with a red.

WTF is going on with VAR? No red and green lights on the screen and no clear indication to the fans that anything is actually being reviewed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Good night but what happened to our active? it used to be decent but we got drowned out by western last night 

Depends where you sit. We're at the Southern End and could barely hear the WU support. I was personally quite impressed by our City Terrace last night. 

• Like 3