Melbourne Football

7th Oct, 7:45 KO vs WU

kingofhearts

4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

And so the new season begins!

We have been rusty as hell all pre season so I'm predicting..... 3-1 Melbourne city win  ;)

Hoping to get along to this, not least to see a couple of friends made over the years first at Heart matches and now with City. No prediction. We couldn't beat this mob or MV last season, we were playing poorly as the season progressed, and this pre-season has been awful. But that's the deal when you are a football fan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Didnt follow the pre season much, should we really buy into it? Did the two new signings play in them Berisha and the dutch fella?

Van der Venne played his first minutes in the match against Adelaide but otherwise has been injured since he arrived. Berisha and Lam played in that match too, but not sure about the earlier ones as the reporting from the club has been poor. Four players were injured for that game - Good, Talbot, Berenguer and Galloway. We lost all the four matches against A-League opposition with just 3 goals scored and 11 conceded.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Van der Venne played his first minutes in the match against Adelaide but otherwise has been injured since he arrived. Berisha and Lam played in that match too, but not sure about the earlier ones as the reporting from the club has been poor. Four players were injured for that game - Good, Talbot, Berenguer and Galloway. We lost all the four matches against A-League opposition with just 3 goals scored and 11 conceded.

Yes well I agree very concerning 

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Geez so it was 5-0 until last season…..

Yep, but even at 5 wins in a row some would still be pessimistic. 

I think I mentioned previously, they strengthened perfectly last season, a top keeper, probably the League's best CB, and in the back end of the season a top in form striker, and ultimately it got them over the line. (In a final game).

We on the other hand lost our way and wobbled when it mattered, copped a couple crucial injuries ( Berenguer and Oneil), had the Asian adventure that really took its toll with zero reward and had a stubborn gaffer convinced in his methods. But even though we still won the League. 

This season is going to be completely different, we have strengthened in most areas and I think we are going to shock alot of "experts".

I'm feeling a 3:0 win.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 4

This is reminiscent of the old days. A Heart home match usually meant it would rain. It's pouring down here. Let's hope it abates by 6 o'clock or so.

2 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

The only notable absentee is Raphael. Good to have the full squad to choose from. 

In past years haven't we seen a squad photo? Haven't seen it so far this time. Rafa recently featured in a birthday greeting from the club, but it's always a worry that these youngsters have disappeared off to another club and their departure hasn't been acknowledged.. John Roberts was one I remember. Idrus Abdulahi(?) was another.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Is it true they're now serving asahi at the ground? Can someone check this out for me tomorrow pls thanks

Asahi 3.5% Super Dry Promotion 

ASD_MC_Prize_Pack_1200x400px.jpg

Purchase any Asahi 3.5% Super Dry at AAMI Park throughout the 2022/23 A-League season for the chance to win a Melbourne City prize pack.  All you need to do is scan the QR code on your receipt to enter. T&C’s apply.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/matchday-guide-city-v-western-united-2

4 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

You’d hope it doesn’t get cancelled or delayed

Should be less rain in the evening. AAMI Park has pretty good drainage anyway. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Apparently everyone is fit and ready to go. https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-city-confirms-round-1-squad It's a matter of who Kisnorbo selects.

He said that it had been a hard pre-season: PK's usual pattern is to really push high-intensity training in pre-season; that's likely why we've had regular pre-season injuries. The fact that everyone is available is hopefully the result of a training taper and the team will look fresher.

I'm still concerned about our attacking and defensive transition tactics though

43 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He said that it had been a hard pre-season: PK's usual pattern is to really push high-intensity training in pre-season; that's likely why we've had regular pre-season injuries. The fact that everyone is available is hopefully the result of a training taper and the team will look fresher.

I'm still concerned about our attacking and defensive transition tactics though

Pre season is often no guide to form once the season starts. Hoping that's the case this year. Knocking WU off would be a good start.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Bollocks to everyone being fit. We've got half the defence missing and a really weird line up.

from twitter:

Florin Berenguer (hamstring) and Curtis Good (minor knock) both didn’t quite come up for tonight

Nuno Reis will miss 1-2 weeks with a hamstring injury