Melbourne Football

The forgotten round. City v Adelaide Friday 7:50pm

MHFC-FAN

BOUZANIS: Look he wasn't awful. Yeah I get that he very much divides opinion on here and you have to either love him or hate him but I'm still on the fence. His distribution was quite good tonight and he made some decent saves, but his positioning for their goal was very poor. I'm still undecided overall on him but he wasn't bad tonight.

MUSCAT: Wasn't his best game tonight. Was quite on and off, he played alright moving the ball forward, but in the second half Garuccio just tore him to shreds. Not the best way to back up a nice showing on Wednesday night.

CHAPMAN: Looked solid most of the night, his distribution was decent and he shut down some really dangerous moves. Looked a little rusty at times but it was good to see him out there playing well.

MALIK: Not his best game tonight. Wasn't awful but his marking was, as always, very suspect. Should have done better for the goal and is still not a centre-back imo.

ROSE: Was pretty good tonight. Solid in defence and decent moving the ball forward. Just an alright game overall.

KILKENNY: Played fantastic tonight. Cut out everything, started some great moves and looked very dangerous all night. A bit of a shame really that he ruined all that with his acting display as that is all people will remember of his performance tonight.

RETRE: Quite on and off tonight. Had patches where I would forget he was on the field and then moments where he did really quite well. Overall a decent game.

BRATTAN: Same old, same old tonight. A class above as ever. His movement, his vision, his passing, his touch, all just flawless. Created our opening goal through his pressure on the Adelaide defender, winning the ball and getting it to Brandan. Have to say I was glad to see him substituted. One thing that always worried me last year was the way we just played Aaron Mooy into the ground week after week. I always was worried he would burn out eventually. Good to see a bit of management with the sub.

KAMAU: Dangerous and creative, added some real flair on the wing. Had some great moves and played well overall. My only criticism is that he probably could have done better with his shot in the second half that he hit straight at Galekovic. Apart from that another great game.

BRANDAN: Another crazy performance tonight. His pace and skill on the ball is an absolute joy to watch and he did well to assist Bruno's opener. He celebrated us winning the penalty like he'd just scored it was great! Very lucky to stay on the pitch though. That probably should have been a red card, shocking tackle.

FORNAROLI: Quite simply the best player in the league. That first goal was classy as anything, and his cheeky paneka penalty was fantastic. He could have had a hattrick if he hadn't put that chance over the bar in the first half. Works like a dog all game and gives his all for the shirt. What a player we have.

SUBS: All not on for long enough to judge.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Okay. I stand corrected. I tried to buy Premium A (City Gold) tickets at the ground and get told it is sold out...

... It was hard not to sit there seething over the plethora of available green seats on the wings.

It's not really sold out, but reserved seats can't be released, even if members haven't turned up by kick-off. This is a big issue that has bugged us for a couple of seasons now. It's been raised several times with the club but either they are unwilling or unable to do anything about it. It's most obvious for home derbies - technically they are "sold out" but the ground has never once been full.

3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

BOUZANIS: Look he wasn't awful. Yeah I get that he very much divides opinion on here and you have to either love him or hate him but I'm still on the fence. His distribution was quite good tonight and he made some decent saves, but his positioning for their goal was very poor. I'm still undecided overall on him but he wasn't bad tonight.

MUSCAT: Wasn't his best game tonight. Was quite on and off, he played alright moving the ball forward, but in the second half Garuccio just tore him to shreds. Not the best way to back up a nice showing on Wednesday night.

CHAPMAN: Looked solid most of the night, his distribution was decent and he shut down some really dangerous moves. Looked a little rusty at times but it was good to see him out there playing well.

MALIK: Not his best game tonight. Wasn't awful but his marking was, as always, very suspect. Should have done better for the goal and is still not a centre-back imo.

ROSE: Was pretty good tonight. Solid in defence and decent moving the ball forward. Just an alright game overall.

KILKENNY: Played fantastic tonight. Cut out everything, started some great moves and looked very dangerous all night. A bit of a shame really that he ruined all that with his acting display as that is all people will remember of his performance tonight.

RETRE: Quite on and off tonight. Had patches where I would forget he was on the field and then moments where he did really quite well. Overall a decent game.

BRATTAN: Same old, same old tonight. A class above as ever. His movement, his vision, his passing, his touch, all just flawless. Created our opening goal through his pressure on the Adelaide defender, winning the ball and getting it to Brandan. Have to say I was glad to see him substituted. One thing that always worried me last year was the way we just played Aaron Mooy into the ground week after week. I always was worried he would burn out eventually. Good to see a bit of management with the sub.

KAMAU: Dangerous and creative, added some real flair on the wing. Had some great moves and played well overall. My only criticism is that he probably could have done better with his shot in the second half that he hit straight at Galekovic. Apart from that another great game.

BRANDAN: Another crazy performance tonight. His pace and skill on the ball is an absolute joy to watch and he did well to assist Bruno's opener. He celebrated us winning the penalty like he'd just scored it was great! Very lucky to stay on the pitch though. That probably should have been a red card, shocking tackle.

FORNAROLI: Quite simply the best player in the league. That first goal was classy as anything, and his cheeky paneka penalty was fantastic. He could have had a hattrick if he hadn't put that chance over the bar in the first half. Works like a dog all game and gives his all for the shirt. What a player we have.

SUBS: All not on for long enough to judge.

Pretty much agree except for Chapman and Brandan. IMO Chapman regularly holds the ball for a couple of steps too many and gets us into trouble that way. On Brandan, I didn't think that was red, and yellow was the correct call. IMO Brandan received a number of wrong calls tonight - fouls given against him when he should have been the beneficiary.

Overall our defence seems clueless against set pieces, and our own set pieces seem tepid by comparison. Like others I'm also fed up with the back-passing that eventually gets us into trouble.

We got away with the win in the end, but JvS made me so angry. Near the end he sat down and appeared to take no interest in what was happening on the pitch just as Adelaide started to look dangerous and capable of stealing a point if not all three.

Lucky to get the three points IMO.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This is a big issue that has bugged us for a couple of seasons now. It's been raised several times with the club but either they are unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

Reserved seating membership should never be released to the public because people buy the right for the seat for the season. End of story.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's not really sold out, but reserved seats can't be released, even if members haven't turned up by kick-off. This is a big issue that has bugged us for a couple of seasons now. It's been raised several times with the club but either they are unwilling or unable to do anything about it. It's most obvious for home derbies - technically they are "sold out" but the ground has never once been full.

That's not a bad thing though. If I'm running ten minutes late and they sold my members seat to someone else is be filthy. You pay for the right to that seat - that's what a membership is. It will never change and nor should it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, morphine said:

That's not a bad thing though. If I'm running ten minutes late and they sold my members seat to someone else is be filthy. You pay for the right to that seat - that's what a membership is. It will never change and nor should it. 

I wasn't suggesting it should, just trying to explain why it happens. However, there might be ways it could be managed - for example I believe some EPL clubs have a system by which reserved seats can be re-sold if the season-ticket holder notifies the club in advance that they will not attend. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty much agree except for Chapman and Brandan. IMO Chapman regularly holds the ball for a couple of steps too many and gets us into trouble that way. On Brandan, I didn't think that was red, and yellow was the correct call. IMO Brandan received a number of wrong calls tonight - fouls given against him when he should have been the beneficiary.

Overall our defence seems clueless against set pieces, and our own set pieces seem tepid by comparison. Like others I'm also fed up with the back-passing that eventually gets us into trouble.

We got away with the win in the end, but JvS made me so angry. Near the end he sat down and appeared to take no interest in what was happening on the pitch just as Adelaide started to look dangerous and capable of stealing a point if not all three.

Lucky to get the three points IMO.

Chapman is a player that hasnt played in a while and is bereft of confidence at the moment. 

take the 3 points but that was shit, the team they put out tonight would of been lucky to beat ccm 
bruno could/should of had 3/4 and we didn't test galekovic as much as we should of
defence is still fucking shit and the bouzanis experiment seriously needs to end
ref was a fuckhead, that last 20 was special retarded shit, weak cunts falling to the ground with the slightest contact and brandan gets taken out towards the corner flag and play on
could hardly hear active from prem b other end for most of the game till the pen and then died out when they scored
11k members and only get 10k to a friday night game in fine conditions :hmm: what more can we do

Edited by Thrillhouse

Two (probably negative) things I've taken away from this game:

1. Cahill is surplus to requirements. Tuna looks better when Cahill isn't on the pitch and he really hasn't done much at all bar that Cracker in the first derby. He's great embassador though, give him that job full time.

2. There was a lot of debate when we signed Sorenson. Many people, myself included, questioned whether a goalkeeper was worth a VISA spot and $300k+ a season. Last season he proved that he was handy enough to actually warrant it, but this season there is no debate as he sure as shit ain't worth all that sitting on the bench. Get him back on the pitch ffs.

• Like 1

Watching the highlights, Bouzanis couldn't have been in a more worse position for the Adelaide goal. He didn't even make an attempt to intercept the ball. And why is he even in that position when there was only one Adelaide player in the the area? 

I swear him and Rose have a competition going on who can be at fault for most goals. (Special credit to Malik as well for standing in no-mans land for that cross too).

• Like 2

Unfortunately (fortunately? Maybe going by some of the comments) i wasnt able to watch even on telly so spend the night checking the live scores and breaking into a cold sweat expecting the score to change to 2-2 within the last 10 mins. Defiantly sounds like a game that we usually would have dropped a point back in the day and the kind of game that would have made me very uncomfortable to watch but great we got the win in the end.

I will save any further comments until i watch the replay

10 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Unfortunately (fortunately? Maybe going by some of the comments) i wasnt able to watch even on telly so spend the night checking the live scores and breaking into a cold sweat expecting the score to change to 2-2 within the last 10 mins. Defiantly sounds like a game that we usually would have dropped a point back in the day and the kind of game that would have made me very uncomfortable to watch but great we got the win in the end.

Just watch the first half. As for the second classic JVS. The only difference we didn't concede a second in last 5 minutes. 

Just finished watching first half, we couldnt have been more dominant. Really should have been three-four up.

Their set piece right on the stroke of ht was their only real chance, looks like both attacking and defending set pieces is our achilles heel early in the season.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Just finished watching first half, we couldnt have been more dominant. Really should have been three-four up.

We'll improve even more when Colazo, Franjic and Sorenson (hopefully) returns. We'll have Colazo, Fornaroli, Brandan, Kamau, and Brattan as attacking threats. I can see Jakobsen playing much better when he has his fellow Dane behind him too. 

Firstly the most positive point is we took 3 points last night. The fact we did it with I think 4 changed starting 11 players is a bonus. Guys like Chapman and Malik stepped in and did a job which also gave some of our other players a much needed rest. There were a number of players, particularly Brattan and Fernando, that looked cooked by the 75th minute mark. This is probably my only question mark over JVS last night, why did he take to long to make a sub. Big mention to Bruno and Kilkenny for the amount of running they've done over the last week, those guys worked tirelessly the whole game. I think Bruno's intensity increased even more during the last 15 minutes. Absolutely outstanding stuff. 

Probably a final mention to JVS. It was good to see him change his system to give the boys at the back a bit more security, going to a 4-3-3. Regarding his choice of Bouzanis it's too late to put Sorenson in especially after we had won 2-0 on Tuesday night. I don't want him in there but you can't pull a guy after keeping a clean sheet. 

In the end we won a tough game with new players playing 90 minutes and others weary from a difficult week. We've got 3 wins from 4. We've won both derbys and are in the final of the Cup. I don't see anything but positives from where we are in this moment. 

• Like 5

After watching the game back we actually played a lot better than i thought at the game. Could have easily had 5 or 6 on another night. Adelaide's only real period where they threatened was in the last 10-15 minutes when we were clearly out on our feet but to the boys credit they dug in and got the result. Any suggestion we were lucky to get the win or Adelaide deserving something out of that is crap imo.
Bruno man of the match for me but Chapman, Rose and Brattan all put in terrific stints. Brandan's work rate was superb and even though a lot of things went against him was a large catalyst for our chances created.

• Like 1

I just finished watching the replay.

- two goals in four days as a direct result of our high press. When will teams learn to just clear the fucking thing?

- Kamau was everywhere in the first half

- our players looked knackered towards the end, the first sub was in the 81st minute pretty poor management by JVS & co

- Bruno should've scored 5

• Like 1

Haven't seen it mentioned yet and obviously Brattan has been phenomenal for us, but our corners are a clear area where we can improve, from my perspective. Have we scored from a corner all season? Not only that, but we rarely even look in danger of scoring.

Great win, I thought. A few nervy moments, but I'll take it with arguably five first choice players hopefully back soon. I was away, but passed on my membership, so my seat was occupied. I think we we're by far the better team. No idea why JVS took so long to make a sub, hopefully someone asks him that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned yet and obviously Brattan has been phenomenal for us, but our corners are a clear area where we can improve, from my perspective. Have we scored from a corner all season? Not only that, but we rarely even look in danger of scoring.

Great win, I thought. A few nervy moments, but I'll take it with arguably five first choice players hopefully back soon. I was away, but passed on my membership, so my seat was occupied. I think we we're by far the better team. No idea why JVS took so long to make a sub, hopefully someone asks him that.

Its a JVS set piece play, Mooy did it all last season too with every corner to the front post. I think Partaluu scored from one against Adelaide early last season and since then we continue to do them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, haz said:

Its a JVS set piece play, Mooy did it all last season too with every corner to the front post. I think Partaluu scored from one against Adelaide early last season and since then we continue to do them.

Maybe it's me but when it doesn't work for the fourth time in a row I'd probably look at mixing it up just to make it a little less predictable next time. 

• Like 3

Always was a little confident given the way Adelaide play plays right into our hands. We are always going to struggle against the likes of Perth and Sydney given they are a sit back and counter attack team. Hence why im not confident of any silverware, two of the three pace setting teams we will struggle. 

Watching the replay, I believe we did more than enough to deserve the win.  Both teams had chances that could have swayed the result, so any argument that Adelaide were hard done by can just as well (and must) be applied for us in that the winning margin could have been larger.

As for the Branden challenge, he has nothing to answer for, nothing more than a yellow. What saves Branden is that leading leg was away from Enrich so to prevent the ball from being played long. He was playing the ball, not trying to catch Elrich.

People need to also remember that the challenge was with 15 min to play: a hard challenge is not always directed at the opponent. Often the players have played the ball, and it looks bad to being clumsy, fatigued, late, over committed, etc.

FWIW, the Elrich tackle on Brandon in the last 5 min was certainly worthy of a look given Elrich was a on a yellow. I find it amusing people are happy to have a go at the blatant shit but give little to applying the approach consistently over a full 90

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, playmaker said:

Reserved seating membership should never be released to the public because people buy the right for the seat for the season. End of story.

Victory offers- or did-a "buy back" scheme where the reserve seat owner can sell it back to the club in advance and the club can then make that seat available for purchase.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Maybe it's me but when it doesn't work for the fourth time in a row I'd probably look at mixing it up just to make it a little less predictable next time. 

Dead right. The next time we get a corner and  I see another worm burner to their first defender I will bloody well light my flares (retro trousers).

4 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Dead right. The next time we get a corner and  I see another worm burner to their first defender I will bloody well light my flares (retro trousers).

Agreed. We had a sequence of corners in the second half where we could and should have put Adelaide under sustained pressure, but all were crap.  Mind we could easily have been three or four up at half time and out of sight.

Just now, fensaddler said:

Agreed. We had a sequence of corners in the second half where we could and should have put Adelaide under sustained pressure, but all were crap.  Mind we could easily have been three or four up at half time and out of sight.

It's not only corners, it's also free-kicks. They are tepid.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's not only corners, it's also free-kicks. They are tepid.

Why do we use Brattan at free kicks that are close enough to shoot?  Bruno has taken 2 that I can recall in his time with us,  one hit the crossbar and fitzy followed in and scored and he put the other one in top corner against Perth 

He always walks over but is first to walk away 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SF33 said:

i reckon Brattan's corners are pretty good.  The problem is who is waiting in the box.  As I see it we have only one decent header of the ball.  His name and reputation is hardly a mystery so he gets SO much attention from the defenders.

For mine that was a fantastic win.  Came out firing and played them off the park in the first 25, then when they worked their way into the game we dug deep to hang on for the win.  Haven't seen a lot of that over the years and i loved it.  Oh @KSK_47 it was nowhere near as nerve wracking as some games I've been too, even at the death we looked pretty solid.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

i reckon Brattan's corners are pretty good.  The problem is who is waiting in the box.  As I see it we have only one decent header of the ball.  His name and reputation is hardly a mystery so he gets SO much attention from the defenders.

For mine that was a fantastic win.  Came out firing and played them off the park in the first 25, then when they worked their way into the game we dug deep to hang on for the win.  Haven't seen a lot of that over the years and i loved it.  Oh @KSK_47 it was nowhere near as nerve wracking as some games I've been too, even at the death we looked pretty solid.

The five minute period between 80-85 was the only time of the match we looked like conceding imo. Even the goal they scored was completely against the run of play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Victory offers- or did-a "buy back" scheme where the reserve seat owner can sell it back to the club in advance and the club can then make that seat available for purchase.

That sounds fair, but my post was a reply to the original post that suggested reserved seats get released to the general public if the seat is vacant at the beginning of a game.

We should just wait until we have 30 000 attendees to regular season games before we have this discussion as it's a non issue atm.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

That sounds fair, but my post was a reply to the original post that suggested reserved seats get released to the general public if the seat is vacant at the beginning of a game.

We should just wait until we have 30 000 attendees to regular season games before we have this discussion as it's a non issue atm.

No, I didn't say that. I said that seats could not be released even if they were unoccupied at kick-off. And in fact they can't be at any stage of the match - quite a few people arrive late for one reason or another.

And it is an issue because people want to buy tickets to a match in a certain location, for whatever reason but often to sit with friends, but they cannot do so because the seats are reserved for people who do not turn up. And it is an issue because we're trying to build support for the club, which at the moment for a city the size of Melbourne is piss-poor, and anything that dissuades people from attending is an issue.

9 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I have been following this team too long. I was expecting to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory even as the seconds were counting down. Fully understand your point.