Melbourne Football

RD 3| V Perth @ AAMI Friday 21st Oct 7:50 pm

Dylan

2 minutes ago, Jestr said:

What made my night was callers on the radio after the game....." I have been following city for 2 years and I'm sick of this club's poor performance, we haven't won anything and are very average....blah blah.

poor fukerz

Lol. Didnt even experience the dizzying highs of maycon

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This isnt the UK though. This is Melbourne. This is a club that a lot of people probably didnt know existed until last week. Its not like they are going to break their friday night dinner party plans to come sit in the rain and watch another jvs defensive masterclass.

Yes we have a record amount of members but most of them probably didnt give a fuck about soccer a few weeks ago. Our job is to convert "soccer is boring" people into die hard fans. Hence the negativity when we drop the ball after we get everyones attention like we always do.

I'm not sure many people who weren't really into soccer a few weeks ago are now members, more likely our new members have been previous irregular attenders.

But I do agree with you that those who didn't turn up will feel vindicated rather than disappointed that they weren't there. And maybe it's me being a tight bugger, but I can't imagine shelling out $260 (twice) on memberships and not getting full value from them. There are other nights for your bloody dinner parties people.

33 minutes ago, Jestr said:

What made my night was callers on the radio after the game....." I have been following city for 2 years and I'm sick of this club's poor performance, we haven't won anything and are very average....blah blah.

poor fukerz

My heart bleeds!  They should try 35 years being a Walsall supporter...

29 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'm not sure many people who weren't really into soccer a few weeks ago are now members, more likely our new members have been previous irregular attenders.

But I do agree with you that those who didn't turn up will feel vindicated rather than disappointed that they weren't there. And maybe it's me being a tight bugger, but I can't imagine shelling out $260 (twice) on memberships and not getting full value from them. There are other nights for your bloody dinner parties people.

My heart bleeds!  They should try 35 years being a Walsall supporter...

I agree with you. Pathetic showing after such a derby win and with the players we have on show. A lot of members chose to sit on the couch last night instead of turn up. If we had large hail then I'd understand but with a bit of rain and the weather clearing before game time 8000 is a disgrace. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I agree with you. Pathetic showing after such a derby win and with the players we have on show. A lot of members chose to sit on couch last night instead if turn up. If we had large hail then I'd understand but with a bit of rain and the weather clearing before game time 8000 is a disgrace. 

Not trying to justify last night, but Perth have never been a big attraction. It's actually our second-highest home attendance for a regular league match against them. The highest was 9,950, Boxing Day 2014. 

22 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I would say that being irregular attendees and choosing not to go to games because of a small amount of rain woild qualify as not really being into it.  But you get my point.

I cant remember the stat that munn told us a few years back but the percentage of people who have memberships that do not turn up to games has always been very high. 

Although i can assure you that my reason for not attending is far more than "i have a bit of the sniffles", but i am so fucking glad i didnt go last night.

Edited by KSK_47

7 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I would say that being irregular attendees and choosing not to go to games because of a small amount of rain woild qualify as not really being into it.  But you get my point.

I cant remember the stat that munn told us a few years back but the percentage of people who have memberships that do not turn up to games has always been very high. 

Although i can assure you that my reason for not attending is far more than "i have a bit of the sniffles", but i am so fucking glad i didnt go last night.

IIRC the Munn statistic was that, on average, only 40% of members turn up to non-derby matches. Not the same 40% each time of course.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC the Munn statistic was that, on average, only 40% of members turn up to non-derby matches. Not the same 40% each time of course.

That's crap, frankly (not the statistic, the level of turnout).  To me the whole point of membership is that it is an economic way of getting to a lot of matches.  I can only conclude people have money to burn.  KSK absolutely not getting at you, being sick is a legit reason for not being there.  Get well soon mate.

Unfortunately our tactics last night were predictable, and as we all know the tactics employed by Lowe, along with our really poor defensive mistakes cost us points. 

If JVS was a better tactician, perhaps he would have considered the following:

1. The team usually struggles to come up following a derby win
  2. Perth are ultra defensive and physical and will look to hit us at sets pieces, on the counter and through our mistakes
  3. The weather, which was predicted all week to be shite, would suit Perth more than us

Then with these things considered, have a manager that is actually bold enough to change up our approach.  If we had reverted to a back 4 and sat off Perth, noting they are generally rubbish when being forced to play possession, we could have pressurised them in certain areas of the pitch, and destroyed them in quick transition and on the counter ... Hind site is always a wonderful thing, but in reality, everything that happened last night was predictable almost to script.

There is no doubt we have some quality about us this season, because even though we were badly exposed, we still could have won or drawn the game. For me but, Josh Rose has cost us badly and should be dropped.

Another thing I've noticed which is worrying, and again if JVS was a good manager he would be on top of it, is that Bruno's approach seems a bit off.  It's like he is almost too fired up and putting too much pressure on himself.  He seems a lot more lippy and agro, but it's not helping his game, and he is rushing with his first touch and decision making. He is still a gun, but for he needs to refocus his game (only slightly) sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

That's crap, frankly (not the statistic, the level of turnout).  To me the whole point of membership is that it is an economic way of getting to a lot of matches.  I can only conclude people have money to burn.  KSK absolutely not getting at you, being sick is a legit reason for not being there.  Get well soon mate.

I agree that the statistic is not a good-looking one, but "memberships" are not all equal, a point often forgotten and why I think the membership number is not a good metric. There are babies, primary school children, people who work in the service industries and a whole lot more for whom certain days/KO times are not suitable. There always going to be others who miss for illness, holidays, family commitments etc. My guess is that Europe is still pretty much (but not exclusively) a regular Saturday/Sunday afternoon format, home one week, away the next, but that's not the case here. Not excuses, but IMO we need to look behind the actual metric to understand what is happening.

20 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

That's crap, frankly (not the statistic, the level of turnout).  To me the whole point of membership is that it is an economic way of getting to a lot of matches.  I can only conclude people have money to burn. 

I get what you are saying but this is the whole problem. The only reason people will go to games on a rainy night against Perth is if they geniunly care. You cant force people to care about this club. Saying "thays not good enough. Support your club through thick and thin" doesnt work. For many, city is just another branch of entertainment. Like a TV show. If a tv show has a seson with mostly boring and poorly written episodes with the odd good one nobody would  clear their schedule to stick with it. They would chose to do something else to do.

As for money to burn, i don't get that part of it either. I suspect a lot of these memberships are bought on a whim by people who drive bmw four wheel drives and spend the game talking about kitchen renevations

Edited by KSK_47

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that the statistic is not a good-looking one, but "memberships" are not all equal, a point often forgotten and why I think the membership number is not a good metric. There are babies, primary school children, people who work in the service industries and a whole lot more for whom certain days/KO times are not suitable. There always going to be others who miss for illness, holidays, family commitments etc. My guess is that Europe is still pretty much (but not exclusively) a regular Saturday/Sunday afternoon format, home one week, away the next, but that's not the case here. Not excuses, but IMO we need to look behind the actual metric to understand what is happening.

I work in social research jw, and this sounds like a great project!

Controlling possession is all well and good and important but not necessarily helpful in itself, possession is really about controlling space, using player's movement on and off the ball and the ball to overload opponents and to create space for scoring opportunities. Often our attacks stopped in midfield with no forward movement and so no passing options. Perth played a good counter-attacking game, they let us control possession but denied us space. The didn't have to try too hard to deny us space as all that movement off the ball and rapid ball movement that we saw last week was absent

2 hours ago, Jestr said:

Honestly why the fuck would you take Cahill off and put on Malik while the game is at 2:2 

because he wants Cahill playing on Tuesday and again next Friday and Cahill is 37

Edited by belaguttman

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Haha.

I was super close to not going. As soon as we parked (which was great) the sun kind off broke through and was a mini rainbow.

After that everything turned to shit but thinking back I'm glad I did it. Kids grow up quick and life is short. 

And they need to learn to deal with pain and disappointment.  I commend your parenting!

I'm a new member but have been following the club since the 13/14 season, since I couldn't stand Victory (seemed to me like scum and still do) and had began to get into football. I couldn't make the game last night due to the shit weather, causing accidents, increasing the time to get into the city from 40 minutes to an hour and a half. Absolutely cut I couldn't make it, even though we performed terribly.

Notable mistakes I noticed was the lack of hold we had on the game, despite all of the possession. JVS has to learn one of these days that 3 at the back simply isn't working anymore, especially on slippery nights that make our quick game plan impossible to adhere to. Perth were always going to be on the counter from start to finish, and they utilised their space and speed, which killed our slow back 3. Ball watching was also an issue, as shown by their first goal, and their other two were just bad mistakes by Dean and terrible communication from defence to goalkeeper.

Anyway, bring on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I agree with you. Pathetic showing after such a derby win and with the players we have on show. A lot of members chose to sit on the couch last night instead of turn up. If we had large hail then I'd understand but with a bit of rain and the weather clearing before game time 8000 is a disgrace. 

Yeah, not really much excuse to stay home because of the weather. There were a heap of spare seats in GA at the south end for members who wanted to move, which was a moot point really, because there was probably only significant rain for about 10 minutes during the game.

I'll put my hand up after defending Josh Rose following round 1: that wasn't good enough. I was a bit perplexed at the game (as I often am) because everyone around me was screaming at Bouzanis for being off his line, not one person mentioned the culpability of Rose for barely grazing the header back to him, not even getting it into the area and essentially leaving Bouzanis in no man's land. Made about as much sense to me as people blaming Sorensen for his red card against Wellington. It was terrible by Rose and he needs to be dropped, but he's a City player. When he makes it back into the team, I'll be supporting him. He's been a key player for some pretty outstanding Central Coast teams, so even though he's getting a bit long in the tooth, he shouldn't be a complete liability for us.

And despite defending Bouzanis for the third goal, as far as I'm concerned, he had to do better with the second. Perth was always going to monster us in the air with set pieces and the one time during the game that he decides to stay cemented to his line is when Djulbic and Keogh are playing an impromptu game of volleyball with their heads in the box.

Speaking of set pieces, one question I had: when we're taking our corners and they don't have anyone between Caceres and the goalkeeper, why does he still choose to just bomb it in every time? Why not dribble it up a bit, force a few defenders to run at him, cause a bit of chaos and chip it in? Got to be worth a shot, right? We certainly weren't getting much value from our corners the way they were set up.

I though Muscat (who seems like an underrated addition to me so far), Jakobsen, Kilkenny, Fernando (I'm still not clear whether he's Brandan Fernando or Fernando Brandan) and Fornaroli were excellent. Brattan was good, but he and Fitzgerald seemed to struggle a bit with their control in the wet. Before he went off, I think Perth provided a good blueprint for how to play Kamau, teams are just going to hammer him wherever possible from now on.

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I just want to make one very important point that I think will affect every member.

The sausage stand was open at the Yarra end.

@belaguttman

This.

One of the frustrating things for me last night was the width we had out of midfield four.

Far too often we had a wide left and wide right midfielders, which didn't make sense since our left and right defenders were pushing up and our wide forward weren't cutting in that often when we played outta the back.

Far too many staying wide.

Edited by mattyh001

13 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

This.

One of the frustrating things for me last night was the width we had out of midfield four.

Far too often we had a wide left and wide right midfielders, which didn't make sense since our left and right defenders were pushing up and our wide forward weren't cutting in that often when we played outta the back.

Far too many staying wide.

I pointed this out at half time last night. This had a lot to do with our set up and because Perth played so tight through the centre of the park. Perfect example of this was the majority of time Timmy got on the ball was when he had to come right out to our defensive line to receive it.  Our midefielders tended to push wider as they could get a bit more space and time on the ball. 

Edited by n i k o

22 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I pointed this out at half time last night. This had a lot to do with our set up and because Perth played so tight through the centre of the park. Perfect example of this was the majority of time Timmy got on the ball was when he had to come right out to our defensive line to receive it.  Our midefielders tended to push wider as they could get a bit more space and time on the ball. 

Agree wholeheartedly 

Something that I find quite concerning since (a.) there wasn't a real solution last night / took too long to fix, (b.) forces others to adjust meaning that the structure is becoming less optimal - ie no space for overlapping fullbacks - and (c.) leaves the central area with two few / open to quick counter.

Edited by mattyh001

9 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Agree wholeheartedly 

Something that I find quite concerning since (a.) there wasn't a real solution last night / took too long to fix, (b.) forces others to adjust meaning that the structure is becoming less optimal - ie no space for overlapping fullbacks - and (c.) leaves the central area with two few / open to quick counter.

Was it really fixed? The times when we looked to have more space centrally was when Perth turned over the ball and were open to the counter (eg. Fernandos goal) 

I would like to see Colazo playing as the #10 with Caceras on the bench. You can tell Colazo is  levels above, he has 2, maybe 3 touches max on the ball before he gets rid of it, Caceras on the other-hand spends way to long on the ball.  We were just 'unlucky :ph34r:' that Colazo was injured.

35 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Was it really fixed? The times when we looked to have more space centrally was when Perth turned over the ball and were open to the counter (eg. Fernandos goal) 

That's what I was getting at: I don't think there was any real solution. Some minor adjustments maybe through substitutes, but things worked best when players like Bratten didn't overly drift - Bratten could help force the turnover and others could then make the most of space wide

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

I would like to see Colazo playing as the #10 with Caceras on the bench. You can tell Colazo is  levels above, he has 2, maybe 3 touches max on the ball before he gets rid of it, Caceras on the other-hand spends way to long on the ball.  We were just 'unlucky :ph34r:' that Colazo was injured.

Absolutely agree, Colazo has class, his decision making has proved ideal for #10 spot. As much as I like Caceres, he hasn't really seemed comfortable as a 90 minute player.

• Like 1

Possession is all very well, but well organised compact sides ( like Perth) cannot be broken down by multi touch football or guys pausing on the ball considering their options, which we saw way too often last night.

I agree with @japiedog in that we looked off our game from the start and even when we got going a tad, still were not moving the ball anywhere near fast enough. In the 2nd half we played a lot of expedient long balls which might have been helpful but is hardly going to win us the league. 

Angry and disappointed. Especially seeing that lads actually do care and tried their best. Never saw TS1 so angry after the loss. But honestly once I saw the weather forecast I knew we are doomed against Perth. Thought it would be a draw though. But I guess this post belongs to the "Sack JVS" topic.

At my son's presentation night so couldn't get to the game. Probably a good thing.

Watched a bit of the replay and honestly thought i was watching Australia v Japan from the other week. Everything about it looked the same. Our lethargy, their tight defending, the respective coaching - everything. 

Pretty shit, but the team itself is too good to not bounce back.

2 hours ago, rass said:

At my son's presentation night so couldn't get to the game. Probably a good thing.

Watched a bit of the replay and honestly thought i was watching Australia v Japan from the other week. Everything about it looked the same. Our lethargy, their tight defending, the respective coaching - everything. 

Pretty shit, but the team itself is too good to not bounce back.

I had the same thought making the comparison with the international.  Only Perth were ultimately more effective than Japan, and a lot more physical... 

• Like 1

From this article, Colazo looks to be unavailable for Tuesday but Kamau might be OK.

Melbourne City midfielder Luke Brattan says team not up to standard in loss to Perth Glory

index&t_product=HeraldSun&td_device=desktop
MATT WINDLEY, Herald Sun
October 22, 2016 2:54pm
index&t_product=HeraldSun&td_device=desktop

“JUST not good enough” was Melbourne City midfielder Luke Brattan’s frank assessment of his side’s 3-2 home loss to Perth Glory on Friday night.

Having crashed to its first defeat of the season in any competition, City must immediately bounce back for a mouth-watering FFA Cup semi-final on Tuesday against Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park.

City dominated possession, completed passes and the shot count, yet a crafty Perth side was still considered good value for its win on a cold and wet Melbourne night.

“We weren’t good enough, it’s as simple as that,” Brattan said.

“We set our standards pretty high and we didn’t even come close to them.

“We started sloppy, that’s what it came down to, and at the end of the day that’s just not good enough.”

7a1d49b0d978d2cea89a7bb164895224?width=650City wasn’t the same sharp team it was a week earlier. Picture: Getty Images

Glory set up to frustrate City throughout Friday night’s encounter, their back four sitting deep often with another midfield wall of four lined up just in front of it.

The lack of space between the lines made for a frustrating night for the hosts, but Brattan said City is going to have to learn to deal with teams coming to AAMI Park this season with exactly the same approach.

“If we want to be the best team we’ve got to learn to put up with that,” he said.

“We know that teams are going to come and park the bus and try and get us on the break.

“We’ve got to figure out a way to beat that, be patient, move them around and then come the 70th minute or so they’re going to be out on their legs and that’s when we’ll get some more chances.”

City was without marquee forward Nicolas Colazo.

The Argentine copped a stray elbow to the head against Wellington in Round 1, starred against Victory in Round 2 but started to feel the ill-effects of the blow early last week.

He’s been diagnosed with a burst eardrum and remains in doubt for Tuesday night.

91904f5074ee7ec072a44e25b2e17f73?width=650Bruce Kamau copped one in the face. Picture: Getty Images

Bruce Kamau, who was substituted in the first half with concussion after copping a ball to the face, will have to be assessed, but appeared fine after the match.

While Brattan also appeared to hurt his hamstring after taking a free kick late in the second half, but the man himself said it was “just a little bit of cramp” and he would be fine to face Victory.

Brattan said City had missed Colazo’s impact against Perth.

“Nic’s a fantastic player and was a big loss, but we’ve got that quality all the way through the squad that we should be able to deal with that.”