Melbourne Football

Valon “He Who Must Not Be Named”

Baka1

47 minutes ago, Bannon said:

This guy comes off as such a winner. I know we all hate Besart here but there's no denying he had that hard-edged winning mentality that we as a club lacked in the past for so many years.

Valon seems to have the same edge with an even better CV, so consider me excited as fuck for this signing. Just fingers and toes crossed he stays injury-free.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m excited about this signing, looks like there is a bit of attitude there we might need to regain control of our midfield.

Let’s hope he doesn’t clash with PK.

“Work hard, stick to the process, repeat and we will slowly ease him in”

Doubt there's too many City supporters who would differ from you. I still hope that we will improve on Glover, but I doubt that we will make another signing, and otherwise we have a capable squad. The question mark is over the coaching team.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Probably worth noting that in the first couple games when he impressed, he was in a midfield trio of ONeill and Gomulka, with an inexperienced inverted wingback pairing of Talbot and Bos. Both mids better suited to being a 6 and anchoring, meaning that nearly all attacking movement had to go through Berisha. Since VDV has come in and the wingbacks have become more comfortable in our system and stepping into midfield Berisha has probably regressed in overall output, but there is significantly less ball going through him

Edited by neio
  • Like 2

I think he’s been good. I must have been watching different games to everyone else. He needs a goal to lift confidence as he’s missed a few reasonable chances but I think the midfield is functioning well and looks balanced.

He often makes himself available which means that even when he doesn’t receive it he’s pulling the opposition around. His work rate is high and he plays some nice passes. I’d expect he still has another level to go to…..but for comparison it took Berenguer a season and a half to look like he could actually do anything.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

I think he’s been good. I must have been watching different games to everyone else. He needs a goal to lift confidence as he’s missed a few reasonable chances but I think the midfield is functioning well and looks balanced.

He often makes himself available which means that even when he doesn’t receive it he’s pulling the opposition around. His work rate is high and he plays some nice passes. I’d expect he still has another level to go to…..but for comparison it took Berenguer a season and a half to look like he could actually do anything.

Make that 2.5 seasons for Florin 😛

7 hours ago, Tangerine said:

I agree totally. 

He has been great. And the midfield is well balanced and whenever Berenguer does return it will be another area where we have 5 or 6 starting players for 3 positions.

Lets not forget Leckie at 1 point playing centrally was very effective. Gomulka is not at Oneil level but is good enough to start.

But getting back to Berisha he is now looking to be part of a balanced exciting midfield and at some point I feel dominate games.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's been pretty good albeit maybe not the level i thought he might get to. Probably more workmanlike and less flashy than i expected, but thats by no means a bad thing and hes definitely playing his part in an effective system. I reckon its starting to play on him a bit that he doesnt have a goal yet though.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think he's been pretty good albeit maybe not the level i thought he might get to. Probably more workmanlike and less flashy than i expected, but thats by no means a bad thing and hes definitely playing his part in an effective system. I reckon its starting to play on him a bit that he doesnt have a goal yet though.

Agree. Both he and VdV seem to be very anxious when they get a scoring chance. Not quite the composure that you might have expected.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Spot on it is. A moment or two last game he had perfect opportunity to provide an assist in what would be a goal without doubt yet opted to take it on himself. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...