Melbourne Football

The future of Gold Coast United

True Until I die

This ruins the integrity of the comp ffs!

The will most likely not play out the last 4 games of the season.

Meaning our biggest finals rivals (Bris, Welly, Perth, Newy) all get 3pts + a 3 goal advantage.

this farkin.

if newcastle get 3 points from the game is big disadvantage to us in our attempt to make finals.

As has been said elsewhere...Clive Palmer has put millions into the game...why antagonise someone like that? Frank Lowy and Ben Buckley are the ones who should be stripped of their licence, not Palmer. Lowy and Buckley wasted 45m on their farcical ego trip aka the World Cup bid. They administer the Australian part of the greatest game in the world but cannot make it work. They indulge in public slanging matches with their clubs. They have folded two clubs in two years. They are an absolute disgrace to the code. I for one am disgusted with their behaviour.

It hade to be done, but the problem is it severly undermines the integrity of the competition. what are we upto now 3 failed teams in 7 seasons?

interested to see if they do play our the rest of their games or they forfeit. forfeit will mean that newcastle will get 3 much needed points to reach finals which is a set back to our finals hopes or if we are aiming to finish higher up the table still a set back with perth, wellington and brisbane also fixtured to play GCU

Wtf is this shit, why not wait till season end? That way they would haveplayed out their games. Like this, even if the games are played out FFA is paying the wages.

Also good luck on your winning a lawsuit against a guy who has never lost one and has more resources than you goals in 2012 FFa.

Sack FFA in all honesty

Clive Palmer: “Mr Lowy will have his day in court. He will be cross-examined. We’ll seek to have the FFA’s records opened up over the multi-million salaries of their top executives.

“Frank Lowy has started this fight and we will finish it.”

Good luck Franky mate.

Edited by DutchPride

Wtf is this shit, why not wait till season end? That way they would haveplayed out their games. Like this, even if the games are played out FFA is paying the wages.

Also good luck on your winning a lawsuit against a guy who has never lost one and has more resources than you goals in 2012 FFa.

Sack FFA in all honesty

It isn't very convenient getting rid of them now instead of at season end, but I think they needed to get Clive away from the league as quickly as possible. The money lost from paying for wages will hopefully be much less than the damage he was going to cause.

I do agree that they are fucked in court, and also think there needs to be a major reshuffling at the top. What have they actually done well recently?

Honestly I think this is the begining of the end. The whole licence concept is stupid in my opinion, and with FFA going and canceling licences like this, your hardly going to encourage someone to invest in a team when any day the ffa can decide to cancel your licence at any time and you lose every dollar you have put into the team.

The only thing that will save the league now is a strong TV deal.

i really dont want them to go. they have had it so hard on them, but unfortunately with all the mistakes from palmer they have lost fans never to retern.It is critical that they close out the season. but unfortunately it would seem a lost cause from next year. Maybe with a new owner it could change things but it will be just too hard. to many fans have been lost. ffa: wait a few years see how the leage is proggresing and then think about bringing them back.

I dont mind the idea of a western sydney team but is there really a population there to follow? also the gws giants is a bit of a failure itself

I dont mind the idea of a western sydney team but is there really a population there to follow? also the gws giants is a bit of a failure itself

i know this isn't gonna mean much, but this is what i got http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Sydney

estimated population of the councils that make up "Western Sydney" is around 1.6million.... plenty of people...hopefully they play out in the west and not at ANZ or SFS.... if they do that they can pretty much just fuck off

An article on the Front page of the sport section today in the Canberra Times was calling for Canberra Franchise. Stats actually look pretty good, 2,000 members already signed up, 18,000 registered soccer players in the territory, which is apparently the most of any state, as well as 4 million dollars already in the bank and a highly succesful W-League team. Sounds a lot smarter to me to branch the game out than to open up another Sydney team but who knows.

Edited by Che

An article on the Front page of the sport section today in the Canberra Times was calling for Canberra Franchise. Stats actually look pretty good, 2,000 members already signed up, 18,000 registered soccer players in the territory, which is apparently the most of any state, as well as 4 million dollars already in the bank and a highly succesful W-League team. Sounds a lot smarter to me to branch the game out than to open up another Sydney team but who knows.

I'm sure they would rather bring in another Sydney team to create a second local derby, more money for them = more chance of them being successful.

I want to see a western Sydney team crop up in GCU's place. And maybe a Tassie team so Visitors have someone to have a home state derby with. And a South Island N.Z. team so they'll only be traveling overseas most of the time. To be fair, those are mostly Cammo's ideas I'm just reiterating.

I like the idea of a Canberra team. They must be starved for any sort of attention there.

I'm sure they would rather bring in another Sydney team to create a second local derby, more money for them = more chance of them being successful.

That's true actually. A lot of people here who are A-League fans from Sydney are sick of SFC anyway, so there could be a really big market. I guess i'm biased in wanting a Canberra club more though.

Wouldn't be suprised to see Lowy/Buckley and co lose their jobs over this, Palmer's legal team will tear the FFA a new one.

I tend to agree. In fact this decision by Lowy and Buckley is something out of the schoolyard. Or a child stamping its foot and bawling in a supermarket because Mummy won't buy it a lolly. Whether we like Clive Palmer or not, the guy has put millions into GCU (as do all the other syndicates and owners) in order to give us an A-League, and the FFA is throwing a tantrum over a few ill-chosen words and a slogan on a shirt. What on earth do Lowy and Buckley they think they're doing? First they unnecessarily pull the rug from under NQF, now having a spat with GCU - are they actually trying to run the game, or ruin it?

As has already been said, the FFA should have its top man/woman on liaison detail for the club owners on a full-time and permanent basis. At the first sign of anything out of the ordinary they should be on the plane and meeting personally with whoever and fixing it before it gets out of control. Full stop. No ifs or buts.

The FFA should be bending over backwards to support the clubs, not acting like spoiled brats.

On the specifics of GCU I also say that the decision is not only childish and petulant, but the timing, with four matches to go, is just rank incompetence.

FFA acted correctly. Palmer had to go. With his "I can do whatever the f#$% i want" egomanic attitude, he personalised issues and started a war with the executives of the FFA and was deliberatley sabotaging the league and the game. There was no telling how much damage he would have wreaked over the last few weeks of the season if the FFA waited till seasons end to make their decision.

The FFA would not have revoked his licence without sound legal advice and they will not fear him in court. Given Clive's ego and the possibility that he will lose at court due to his unquestionable breaches of licence, I have my doubts that he will challenge.

To those who think he has raised some sound points about the state of the game, this may be the case, but it doesnt matter because it is impossible to deal with someone like him. He is a bully and he will always he think he is right and that he knows better than everyone else. With regards to the clubs and their owners, issues should always be raised proffesionally in an environment of respect and partnership.

It is terrible for the A-League, the people of the Gold Coast and their players. I compare this situation with the stricken Italian Cruise Liner that crashed into the shore in Europe a little while back - Palmer is the captain (a know it all who is unprepared to take responsibilty for his actions), the players are the crew (a bunch of guys who run ths ship and did their best but were ultimately ruined by the actions of their leader) and the fans are the passangers (who just picked the wrong cruise). The A-league is like the cruise industry ... ultimately tarnished by this whole mess...

back to business though...we should go after Thwaite

I like the idea of a Canberra team. They must be starved for any sort of attention there.

Think they would disagree. Strong Rugby/League territory. A place with such a small population has got NRL(raiders) and Super15(Brumbies) teams. I think they are quite well represented in terms of general sport but yes, I would eventually like to see a canberra team.