Melbourne Football

Talking City Fan Channel

Embee

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Maybe I’m biased but Real Madrid and the American owned sPL clubs seem to be the ring leaders. The rest just followed not to be left out. Man City was not on the Sunday night rumoured list, on Monday was part of it and then by Tuesday the first one to formally pull out. Make of it what you want......

I'm pleased to see that City were the first to pull out, and that Arsenal had the decency to apologise.

Maybe now our club will listen to us. Bring back red-and-white and the sausage stand...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

I think it shows a few things

(1) how much it hurt the A League when Fox Sports lost the EPL broadcast rights. I don't think the timing of the "downturn" in A League and loss of broadcast rights is purely coincidence. 

(2) that for all the work that's been done to develop the A League, we still largely have first generation supporters because we're only 15 years old - we can't really say we have fans who follow clubs because it runs in the family (and particularly because grandparents did, etc) 

(3) when you go into sports store, you still see the big clubs from overseas being pushed massively. Was the same when I was growing up in the 90s. So off course when a kid rocks up to training, footy colours day, etc, the big European teams are always the ever present. 

(4) it doesn't help the A League either that free to air courage (games or news) and major football games (FIFA, ProEvo) are pushing European football because its seen as the biggest, best and most sellable market (particularly since Australia is such a small market too) 

Edit:

(5) looking at the coverage elsewhere and the financial sums quoted, it actually is fucking massive. Maybe a modern day version of world series cricket 

Great post 

3 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

I think it shows a few things

(1) how much it hurt the A League when Fox Sports lost the EPL broadcast rights. I don't think the timing of the "downturn" in A League and loss of broadcast rights is purely coincidence. 

(2) that for all the work that's been done to develop the A League, we still largely have first generation supporters because we're only 15 years old - we can't really say we have fans who follow clubs because it runs in the family (and particularly because grandparents did, etc) 

(3) when you go into sports store, you still see the big clubs from overseas being pushed massively. Was the same when I was growing up in the 90s. So off course when a kid rocks up to training, footy colours day, etc, the big European teams are always the ever present. 

(4) it doesn't help the A League either that free to air courage (games or news) and major football games (FIFA, ProEvo) are pushing European football because its seen as the biggest, best and most sellable market (particularly since Australia is such a small market too) 

Edit:

(5) looking at the coverage elsewhere and the financial sums quoted, it actually is fucking massive. Maybe a modern day version of world series cricket 

Worth saying that if you go to a sports store in the UK, it's the big clubs again who have the merch, and attract the kids, even if there is a less glamorous local Championship, League 1 or League 2 side to support who really represents that local area. Too many glory hunters the world over. Football is about suffering... 

The more I think about the Australian reaction the weirder it is.

I get Aussies would care about their clubs being booted from their domestic comps, but the make of European football and so angry over a closed league?

every professional sport in Australia is a closed league. No one protests about the AFL.

Are people picking up the injustice from Europeans on social media and running with it? Nothing else makes much sense.

58 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I get Aussies would care about their clubs being booted from their domestic comps, but the make of European football and so angry over a closed league?

every professional sport in Australia is a closed league. No one protests about the AFL.

Are people picking up the injustice from Europeans on social media and running with it? Nothing else makes much sense.

Are we talking about Australia-born Aussies or migrants? Aristotle's “Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man holds true, so if someone has grown up with football in, say, England and developed an allegiance to a club, and subsequently emigrates - whenever that is - then that allegiance is part of that person and hard to shake off. I went to my first match when I was 5, emigrated 20 years later but my original allegiance to my home-town non-league side is unshakeable.

Apart from that, most sports everywhere were closed until reasonable recently. Many football leagues in the UK were until the pyramid system was introduced (I don't think it was all done at once but in stages in the late 80s and early 90s). The FA Cup (and other various cup competitions) were the "open" competitions.

I don't think what upset people most has been the idea of a super league, but the brazenness of the money grabbing, the absence of any consultation with or consideration of other parties, the apparent abandonment of the grassroots of the game, and the announcement just before an enhancement of the Champions League was almost certain to be agreed and announced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I spoke about this the other day with @bt50 and @Embee it's just keyboard activism.

Saw a bunch of blokes acting if they were saving the world on fb (some of them are on here, if you think it's you it is). Virtue signaling about who can be more outraged nothing more.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I spoke about this the other day with @bt50 and @Embee it's just keyboard activism.

Saw a bunch of blokes acting if they were saving the world on fb (some of them are on here, if you think it's you it is). Virtue signaling about who can be more outraged nothing more.

Sorry TPF, but that's arrogant and dismissive. Just because you and two mates see things one way doesn't mean you can dismiss people who disagree with you as virtue signalling keyboard activists. I've not said much about this myself, there was enough being said already and it ended almost before it was started. But two points to consider:

- jw made the point well. If you grew up in a European footballing culture, there or here, and have an emotional attachment to a club back there through support, history and family, then this matters. It's about the soul of the game you have loved from childhood. 

- I don't give a stuff about how AFL and NRL govern themselves, but soccer here is moving towards a pyramid, with a second tier of the A League and pro-rel. It can't be done yet because of the gulf between the top league and the rest, but it's the aspiration. We're moving, in our sport, more towards that meritocratic model. To dismiss concern on the basis that we're a closed league is narrow and cynical. That's not where we plan to be long term. And let's face it, Victory deserve relegation right now. They're lucky it's not there yet, but in truth the ignominy might be good for them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Sorensen's decision to stay in Aus is amazing for football media here. 

100%, no disrespect to you blokes, but to have an ex player takes it to new level. 

If he ever gets on again it would be interesting to redo the whole Visa keeper discussion, when he signed I remember opinions where split.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

100%, no disrespect to you blokes, but to have an ex player takes it to new level. 

If he ever gets on again it would be interesting to redo the whole Visa keeper discussion, when he signed I remember opinions where split.

None taken haha 😂 think we're all self aware enough to know that a media trained ex-prem player is gunna shine next to us. What I've seen of him on optus sport has been really good too

• Like 2

As TPF says, none taken haha

He's incredible value. Not to mention that he came on after we reached out to him the night before, so  to make time on such short notice was very generous of him. Excellent character and our club is lucky to have him around.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Damn that was best pod I've listened to. Glorious. And on a side note the club song, what a suggestion, guys I implore you to take it on board. I know you aren't part of active a such but you have a say. There is no doubt the change will be better. 

Would absolutely love Simply the best as a walkout song as Jamie Suggested. Club should do it as we don’t play SHT until the players lineup. Could do both 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Given how passionate Jmac was about it I'm shocked he didn't get included in the new contract

Haha. As a player then I'd say he can feel what will send the energy levels sky-high. I don't want to harp on about it but its something I'm damn passionate about lol, sht is just damn hard to sing loud. Simply the best is a fantastic idea, everyone knows it, is so easy to belt out  and sing loud. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What's the suggested new song?

Simply the best which would be awesome. Everyone put it in your member surveys and follow the great man would bring a great atmosphere and energy as the lads walk out. Something we lack imo

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Given how passionate Jmac was about it I'm shocked he didn't get included in the new contract

Should just happen an absolute no brainier surely he has enough power at the club to get it done with match day department 

31 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Haha. As a player then I'd say he can feel what will send the energy levels sky-high. I don't want to harp on about it but its something I'm damn passionate about lol, sht is just damn hard to sing loud. Simply the best is a fantastic idea, everyone knows it, is so easy to belt out  and sing loud. 

Oh, yeah?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Simply the best which would be awesome. Everyone put it in your member surveys and follow the great man would bring a great atmosphere and energy as the lads walk out. Something we lack imo

Should just happen an absolute no brainier surely he has enough power at the club to get it done with match day department 

Are we talking about replacing - so happy together? Or the Fat Boy Slim song “right here, right now” when they walk out?

Edited by Mr MO

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Never, but it's an age thing. You've probably never listened to Artie Shaw and his Orchestra with Helen Forrest. 

It was the theme song for the NRL for many years. 
perhaps we can play in purple too?

(The NRL did a fantastic promo for a number of years with this song, including getting Tina down here. To me it’s now very closely identified with Rugby League and would be a mistake to use it for another code)

Edited by Shahanga
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1