Melbourne Football

Talking City Fan Channel

Embee

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

It was the theme song for the NRL for many years. 
perhaps we can play in purple too?

(The NRL did a fantastic promo for a number of years with this song, including getting Tina down here. To me it’s now very closely identified with Rugby League and would be a mistake to use it for another code)

Agree wholeheartedly. I would be even stronger and say that's it's indelibly associated with League. Come up with something that's more original. It's an age thing as I said earlier, but I don't even hear what's being played. The AAMI PA system is so terrible where we sit and it's a noise that I no longer process. FWIW I don't hear what's being said over the microphone either. 

10 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Wasn't this used as the NRL promo song?

It was the theme song for the NRL for many years. 
perhaps we can play in purple too?

(The NRL did a fantastic promo for a number of years with this song, including getting Tina down here. To me it’s now very closely identified with Rugby League and would be a mistake to use it for another code)

That it was. Back in 1988. They decided to reuse it 32 years later, in 2020. Seems they've already moved on from the song with their defy impossible promo. Perhaps they will use it again in another 32 years. 

Fwiw its not necessarily about this specific song either, although given it has been raised its the centre point of discussion. The driving point of the discussion is having a better walk out song for people and the players to get behind is healthy to improving match day atmosphere. If your main goal scorer is saying that's what will make the atmosphere better its not a bad idea to listen and discuss its viability. My comments weren't meant to offend or get anyones back up. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

That it was. Back in 1988. They decided to reuse it 32 years later, in 2020. Seems they've already moved on from the song with their defy impossible promo. Perhaps they will use it again in another 32 years. 

Fwiw its not necessarily about this specific song either, although given it has been raised its the centre point of discussion. The driving point of the discussion is having a better walk out song for people and the players to get behind is healthy to improving match day atmosphere. If your main goal scorer is saying that's what will make the atmosphere better its not a bad idea to listen and discuss its viability. My comments weren't meant to offend or get anyones back up. 

Agreed. And they haven't as far as I am concerned. It's just an example of the sort of thing that brings out people's differing opinions. 

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. And they haven't as far as I am concerned. It's just an example of the sort of thing that brings out people's differing opinions. 

I just find the argument strange, but enjoy the discussion. On a related topic its amusing no one batted an eyelid when we used and still use to this day another aleague clubs goal celebration song. If we're going to be that picky over a song used twice in 32 years by another code then we better be very concerned about using one used on a weekly basis by a rival club.  

Edited by n i k o

27 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I couldnt care less what they do in terms of stadium music, as long as SHT stays.
The minute we change that song then we'll deserve the plastic label so many mongs like to give us. Culture and identity isnt created instantly, it's built over a long time and whether you love it or hate it, thats one of the most important pieces in our identity that there is.

It would stay, as Simply the best would replace Fatboy slim which would then lead only SHT

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I couldnt care less what they do in terms of stadium music, as long as SHT stays.
The minute we change that song then we'll deserve the plastic label so many mongs like to give us. Culture and identity isnt created instantly, it's built over a long time and whether you love it or hate it, thats one of the most important pieces in our identity that there is.

Couldn’t of said it better, the songs been with us for years and one of the last things that have carried with us from the heart day and if played for years to come will carry a link from the past with the foundations of the club to the present. I think it was great to see so many supporters singing it across the stadium at the final although I will agree that it’s a hard song to belt out until the very end when the terrace takes over. 

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Indeed.

Same as playing that random song (now) when we win. Whatever.

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Indeed.

Same as playing that random song (now) when we win. Whatever.

The Living End are from East Melb, so the club is actually trying to link our identity with Melbourne. Prefer that all day over Mancunian Oasis post match

• Like 2

23 hours ago, n i k o said:

None taken but agree that the walk out song ie club song, is a very important part of the atmosphere, pride and sense of belonging. Unfortunately I don't get that with our present choice.

3 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

None taken but agree that the walk out song ie club song, is a very important part of the atmosphere, pride and sense of belonging. Unfortunately I don't get that with our present choice.

A lot depends on demographics. One American song (SHT) is more than enough for an old-timer like me. I'm actually more interested in the fact that Jmac raised the subject. I often feel that the players are far more detached from the game than we are. For example  I remember Michael Marrone saying that he never looked at the league table.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

A lot depends on demographics. One American song (SHT) is more than enough for an old-timer like me. I'm actually more interested in the fact that Jmac raised the subject. I often feel that the players are far more detached from the game than we are. For example  I remember Michael Marrone saying that he never looked at the league table.

I call bullshit on that last sentence! I guess it’s easy to say as a Heart player being often bottom of the ladder that you don’t care and don’t look at the ladder.

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I call bullshit on that last sentence! I guess it’s easy to say as a Heart player being often bottom of the ladder that you don’t care and don’t look at the ladder.

I would also be questioning a players motivation if they don't even care or worry about the teams position on the table. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I take it as a good sign as it probably means he's emotionally invested in the club. 

5 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

In think the suggestion of keeping sht but adding a different walk out song is sound. I'd be behind that.

thanks lads and ladies involved with the show for another wonderful season; made all the better by the weekly shows.  

i know i have said this before, but in this covid normal era, having the familiar voices on talking city helps make the week (and even more so with the fucking shitty lockdowns we get) all the more bearable.

as an aside, i was a bit surprised that Tommy Glover didn't get a mention as taking his game up a notch.  i know he has made a few odd choices this season and last season he was great (should have had the Joe Marsden medal).  the reason i am surprised that he is now the youngest keeper since Mat Ryan to win a grand final.  the fact we have backed in such a young keeper (who is the olyroos keeper too in an Olympic year) during a season where we do the double is an amasing sign of confidence in the young lad (something mentioned about Metcalfe).

in saying that, i completely agree about Colakovski, Tilio and Metcalfe.  Colakovski and Tilio have been massive, particularly towards the end of the season when they had big boots to fill. Metcalfe has made Socceroos, and as pointed out that is a massive step up in ability and performance. 

the main asterisk for me regarding Metcalfe is while he makes a good box to box midfielder (traditional number 8) I'm not sure if he is going towards more of a traditional 10 or 6 (as opposed to remaining just a number 8). 

could be just me too, but he has games where he is very quiet / indifferent.  probably a reflection on the fact he is still young.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I take it as a good sign as it probably means he's emotionally invested in the club. 

In think the suggestion of keeping sht but adding a different walk out song is sound. I'd be behind that.

I think it can be done

walk out to simply the best everyone knows the words more of a upbeat song then as players line up you put SHT on.

be a awesome Pre game ritual.  Should be done no reason we are the best in the land as Macca said and should walk out win us fans belting it out 

On 02/07/2021 at 9:05 AM, n i k o said:

10 out of 10 for lols.

I know I’m showing my age but it was used for a lot more than one season and as you mentioned after a hiatus (not sure when they stopped but it sure as hell wasn’t 1989) they are still using it. 

In the end I’m in the @jw1739 camp, a walk out song is not why I go to the football, I wouldn’t have one at all, so play what you like.

So Happy Together is our song and as long as they play that before kick off then whatever.

PS I love Tina though.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

10 out of 10 for lols.

I know I’m showing my age but it was used for a lot more than one season and as you mentioned after a hiatus (not sure when they stopped but it sure as hell wasn’t 1989) they are still using it. 

In the end I’m in the @jw1739 camp, a walk out song is not why I go to the football, I wouldn’t have one at all, so play what you like.

So Happy Together is our song and as long as they play that before kick off then whatever.

PS I love Tina though.

After some light-duty Googling I think Tina was first used in the 1989 season by the then NSWRL with "What you get is what you see." And it went on from there into the 1990s for sure. And the ad. was filmed in London.

Edited by jw1739

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

After some light-duty Googling I think Tina was first used in the 1989 season by the then NSWRL with "What you get is what you see." And it went on from there into the 1990s for sure. And the ad. was filmed in London.

Yeah used up to 95 and I found (don’t watch a lot of Rugby League these days) a reference to a 2018 campaign so I guess they’ve used it since then.

The great Tina doesn’t perform live anymore though. Long teeth and all that.

on a separate note, did our erstwhile panel really forget about Atkinson when discussing great young players?

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not talking too much out of school but Jamie told us off air that he noticed the Maltese flag with his face on it in the terrace. So he is clearly very engaged with the terrace even when playing 

10 out of 10 for lols.

PS I love Tina though.

I think the idea is to replace fat boy slim not SHT. SHT is ours and no player no matter how good can influence that 

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

10 out of 10 for lols.

PS I love Tina though.

Look you may be right, I may be right, I don't care about the rugby and what they use. I just want our atmosphere to be the best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I think the idea is to replace fat boy slim not SHT. SHT is ours and no player no matter how good can influence that 

Exactly it’s to replace Fatboy slim as the walk out song which is a great idea. Simply the best would be 10x better atmosphere  with crowd belting this out  as players walk out 

• 1 month later...
The Beyond Football series is back with club photographer Aleks Jason (@thatfootballphotog) joining Matt for a one on one chat about what City means to him, what football means to him, his biggest moments and the images that shaped it and finally his passion project/youtube channel 'Talking Shirt' familiar name though 🤔

Listen via all good podcasting apps or via this link;

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post but did anyone see what Talking City put on Twitter? Another signing or kits? Or something completely different?

An American German midfielder?

Just now, Mr MO said:

Or the return of Delbridge?

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

ahahaha there is quite a lot in germany atm

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Or the return of Delbridge?

I feel like he is quite settled at Incheon, the melbournecitizens account also did an insta story about it but used the red car emoji so that seems to be the prominent factor, I just have no clue what about

13 hours ago, Zanty said:

ahahaha there is quite a lot in germany atm

I feel like he is quite settled at Incheon, the melbournecitizens account also did an insta story about it but used the red car emoji so that seems to be the prominent factor, I just have no clue what about

Ah okay, it had a snippet about a big American on the tweet.

On 19/09/2021 at 3:04 PM, Missing_Moy said:

Now your more involved with the club do you have to run articles by them ie the transfer rumour article 

Hey mate, to give the basic answer, no we dont. We operate as independent as possible and the club understands this. The intention of TC will forever be a fan run product with fan opinions as well as news on the team/squad and we share what we can.

We will run rumours and leaks if we believe they have legs and dont require any sort of formal club approval for this. Obviously we try to find a balance (as any news source should) between news and unfounded rumours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

New ep released this arvo.
Extensive coverage of Pucciarelli signing, Dub signings, fixtures, kits and Southern United's bid to play at Lakeside

I know I’m getting old but I have to ask, I know that Dub refers to our women’s team but what does it stand for?

• 4 weeks later...