Melbourne Football

Talking City Fan Channel

Embee

14 hours ago, Embee said:

Wish granted 😉

On 19/09/2020 at 11:08 AM, haz said:

Finally remembered to listen to the most recent episode.

Would love for some more Talking City live commentary for away games, im over the knobs on Fox.

On 19/09/2020 at 7:17 PM, mus-28 said:

That's why you're a viewer and Bozzas the expert. 

We are the experts now

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Anyone got feedback? I didn't listen (geo blocked and didn't have my laptop to use VPN)

Enjoyed it! Radio commentary is a tricky thing for football - my only slight suggestion (maybe this is a personal preference, rather than actually useful information) is that you might not need to be so 'active' in commentary to making every pass known, particularly when most people are watching it along with you. My favourite two commentators for radio are probably Ian Dennis and John Murray and they do a nice job of it, if you want someone to listen to.

But these are just minor gripes, honestly. I enjoyed it and would listen in again. 

You were competing with Andy Harper and Adam Peacock however so honestly if you hadn't been better I would have been very worried.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Enjoyed it! Radio commentary is a tricky thing for football - my only slight suggestion (maybe this is a personal preference, rather than actually useful information) is that you might not need to be so 'active' in commentary to making every pass known, particularly when most people are watching it along with you.

I've gone totally Murdoch-free now so I appreciate a more descriptive commentary

On 30/12/2020 at 7:54 PM, Tommykins said:

Enjoyed it! Radio commentary is a tricky thing for football - my only slight suggestion (maybe this is a personal preference, rather than actually useful information) is that you might not need to be so 'active' in commentary to making every pass known, particularly when most people are watching it along with you. My favourite two commentators for radio are probably Ian Dennis and John Murray and they do a nice job of it, if you want someone to listen to.

But these are just minor gripes, honestly. I enjoyed it and would listen in again. 

You were competing with Andy Harper and Adam Peacock however so honestly if you hadn't been better I would have been very worried.

Cheers for the feedback!

Keen to get some further inspiration/ideas so I'll give those two a listen and see how they do it. We're in a weird situation because it's a radio call and I believe SEN (understandably) wish us to call it as such, but I feel like the targeted audience is probably going to fall more towards those who will still watch the game but want an alternative to Fox's offerings.

On 29/12/2020 at 4:49 PM, Tommykins said:

Excellent work lads. Do we know what delay is like if we're watching on Kayo? 

We're watching on a fox sports feed and broadcasting with no delay as far as I'm aware, so it's probably the standard Fox to Kayo delay (about 15-20 seconds I think?). Unless you're streaming our feed, then it may be a little worse.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Embee said:

Cheers for the feedback!

Keen to get some further inspiration/ideas so I'll give those two a listen and see how they do it. We're in a weird situation because it's a radio call and I believe SEN (understandably) wish us to call it as such, but I feel like the targeted audience is probably going to fall more towards those who will still watch the game but want an alternative to Fox's offerings.

Definitely keen for more of it - so don't let me say you're not onto a good thing. Tricky balance to strike!

16 hours ago, Embee said:

We're watching on a fox sports feed and broadcasting with no delay as far as I'm aware, so it's probably the standard Fox to Kayo delay (about 15-20 seconds I think?). Unless you're streaming our feed, then it may be a little worse.

Streamed it from my phone and watched it on the telly - was about a 30 second delay, no big deal to get sorted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it's my sadistic nature, but the latest pod was super.

For some reason the discussions seem to resonate more with me when they are focusing on how shit we are, I kind off disconnect when we it's going over great moments. 

Weird because I always look at games in a positive mindset. 

Anyway continue the good work. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Not sure if it's my sadistic nature, but the latest pod was super.

For some reason the discussions seem to resonate more with me when they are focusing on how shit we are, I kind off disconnect when we it's going over great moments. 

Weird because I always look at games in a positive mindset. 

Anyway continue the good work. 

Wait, how many pods have I missed? How can I get notified of a new one? I've generally been relying on posts in this thread.

55 minutes ago, haz said:

Wait, how many pods have I missed? How can I get notified of a new one? I've generally been relying on posts in this thread.

If you have Spotify you can subscribe via that, but generally speaking we're on SEN once a week and have a more informal/traditional style pod once a week as well. Give us a follow on Facebook or Twitter and you'll see us post every time a new ep is available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

If you have Spotify you can subscribe via that, but generally speaking we're on SEN once a week and have a more informal/traditional style pod once a week as well. Give us a follow on Facebook or Twitter and you'll see us post every time a new ep is available.

Don't have much social media unfortunately. If links could be uploaded on here that would be great.

• Like 3

On 11/02/2021 at 4:18 PM, haz said:

Don't have much social media unfortunately. If links could be uploaded on here that would be great.

On 11/02/2021 at 5:09 PM, jw1739 said:

There aren't many of us anyway so links between sites are very useful.

Out of curiosity more than anything, how do you guys listen to the pods? Are you subscribed via a podcasting app or do you use the episode links that we would generally post in here? 

Also if you ever need a central location to search/listen to podcast episodes they are available on our website, https://www.talkingcity.online/podcast

5 minutes ago, eric forman said:

Out of curiosity more than anything, how do you guys listen to the pods? Are you subscribed via a podcasting app or do you use the episode links that we would generally post in here? 

Also if you ever need a central location to search/listen to podcast episodes they are available on our website, https://www.talkingcity.online/podcast

Episode direct links from here. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, eric forman said:

I listened to them every week but fell away a bit since the episodes weren't posted on here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Episode direct links from here. 

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

I listened to them every week but fell away a bit since the episodes weren't posted on here. 

3 hours ago, haz said:

Thanks for letting me know, Ill make sure we get that sorted as best we can. 

Edit, didnt work as I had hoped

Here is the link for the most recent episode also for those who may not have had a chance to listen yet; https://traffic.megaphone.fm/ARN7689206198.mp3?updated=1612956822

Edited by eric forman
Error
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

A bonus Derby special episode is available via the usual platforms right now!

Here is a link for those who dont use a podcasting app; https://traffic.megaphone.fm/HDE8046113868.mp3 

Also we are back into a regular groove with SEN and will be at 8pm on a Tuesday for the foreseeable future.

Edited by eric forman
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, eric forman said:

A bonus Derby special episode is available via the usual platforms right now!

Here is a link for those who dont use a podcasting app; https://traffic.megaphone.fm/HDE8046113868.mp3 

Also we are back into a regular groove with SEN and will be at 8pm on a Tuesday for the foreseeable future.

Great pod, thanks for posting here. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I’m sure all those people only rang up to talk about the European fiasco to distract you guys from discussing the biggest thing in World Football- our 7 nil thrashing of the tards.

Haha knew there was something fishy!

For those that missed it, we've uploaded tonight's SEN episode to Spotify/the apps etc already. It's basically entirely dedicated to the news surrounding the super league, with some callers making predictable comparisons to the A-League etc.

Here's a direct link: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/talkingcity

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The passions of Australians (I think) about this surprised me. I mean it had 1 post on this forum and personally I kind of thought it was a strange sideshow. Shows how much us diehard A League supporters are in the minority.

Completely agree.

To me on the surface it's just changing the champions league format and division of that revenue and being in Europe I really didn't think it would rustle so many.

But when you explore it and see where it leads it fundamentally changes the entire basis of how soccer is followed by the rank and file.

And as you say it indicates precisely where the game is at locally, the amount of genuine support the English clubs mainly have in this city/country is astounding and its no wonder the A League is basically an afterthought. 

Very interesting. 

Edited by Jovan

How do people feel about the club we follow/support being fully owned by the same organisation that owns one of the prime movers in this Super League thing?

We already know what it's like to have many of the fundamental things about "our club" changed, and we've seen how our owners have helped change the administration of football here. Were we something of a "trial run?"

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

The passions of Australians (I think) about this surprised me. I mean it had 1 post on this forum and personally I kind of thought it was a strange sideshow. Shows how much us diehard A League supporters are in the minority.

I think it shows a few things

(1) how much it hurt the A League when Fox Sports lost the EPL broadcast rights. I don't think the timing of the "downturn" in A League and loss of broadcast rights is purely coincidence. 

(2) that for all the work that's been done to develop the A League, we still largely have first generation supporters because we're only 15 years old - we can't really say we have fans who follow clubs because it runs in the family (and particularly because grandparents did, etc) 

(3) when you go into sports store, you still see the big clubs from overseas being pushed massively. Was the same when I was growing up in the 90s. So off course when a kid rocks up to training, footy colours day, etc, the big European teams are always the ever present. 

(4) it doesn't help the A League either that free to air courage (games or news) and major football games (FIFA, ProEvo) are pushing European football because its seen as the biggest, best and most sellable market (particularly since Australia is such a small market too) 

Edit:

(5) looking at the coverage elsewhere and the financial sums quoted, it actually is fucking massive. Maybe a modern day version of world series cricket 

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

How do people feel about the club we follow/support being fully owned by the same organisation that owns one of the prime movers in this Super League thing?

We already know what it's like to have many of the fundamental things about "our club" changed, and we've seen how our owners have helped change the administration of football here. Were we something of a "trial run?"

Maybe I’m biased but Real Madrid and the American owned PL clubs seem to be the ring leaders. The rest just followed not to be left out. Man City was not on the Sunday night rumoured list, on Monday was part of it and then by Tuesday the first one to formally pull out. Make of it what you want......

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2