Melbourne Football

Friendly v. Newcastle Sun 18 Sep 3:00pm Morshead Park

Deluka

2 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Fuck me dead. I have had this same conversation every year for the past seven years now. No matter the players, jvs teams always show the same fundamental flaws. Making excuses for a coach that makes the same errors again and again seems more counterproductive to me.

We are talking about a match between men and boys where any tactic would have succombed to critical player error which you would expect in an game like this.

As for JVS's tactics, well, i totally agree with you, he is tactically weak in this league, IMO I think a 442 or 541 defensive counter would be much better suited.

Just now, playmaker said:

We are talking about a match between men and boys where any tactic would have succombed to critical player error which you would expect in an game like this.

As for JVS's tactics, well, i totally agree with you, he is tactically weak in this league, IMO I think a 442 or 541 defensive counter would be much better suited.

It was not player critical error. bt50 said we were left vulnerable and unorganized numerous times in the midfield every time we lost possession. That is a tactical problem. Like is said ealier regardless of the squad or  how important the game is, condensing 8 goals in 2 games is very worrying. Particularly when you look at how clueless we have been at the back in the ffa cup games too.

Anyway man. I cant have this "its just preseason" conversation again. I am so tired of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

And so what better time to try that than today? Bouzanis, Retre, Caceres, Tongyik, Muscat are all senior squad players who can be expected to have to take their place in the firsts at some point during the season. So try something different today, instead of the same old, same old. Two pre-season wins against A-League opposition in seven pre-seasons, and no silverware in the A-League or FFA Cup, not even a Grand Final says it all to me.

Today was of no purpose whatsoever in terms of preparation for Wednesday's match. All we've done is provide shooting practice for Newcastle, a club in disarray with a stand-in coach. They are laughing all the way back to the Hunter tonight. And Popovic & Co. won't lose any sleep either.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And so what better time to try that than today? Bouzanis, Retre, Caceres, Tongyik, Muscat are all senior squad players who can be expected to have to take their place in the firsts at some point during the season. So try something different today, instead of the same old, same old. Two pre-season wins against A-League opposition in seven pre-seasons, and no silverware in the A-League or FFA Cup, not even a Grand Final says it all to me.

Today was of no purpose whatsoever in terms of preparation for Wednesday's match. All we've done is provide shooting practice for Newcastle, a club in disarray with a stand-in coach. They are laughing all the way back to the Hunter tonight. And Popovic & Co. won't lose any sleep either.

But if you look at the team list now you can see that recuitment was targeted around JVS's 433, flat 442 or 532 flank attack type system, rather than trying to play players out of position like last season where we were 1 game from the final. Not saying it means success, but i thinks JVS's would have been saying that this is the system he wants to use and he needs the right players. CFG now has given him the players and he knows he has to deliver success.

If things go pear shaped he will be out by round 5.

A loss next week will be a significant nail in his coaching coffin.

26 minutes ago, rass said:

So with Caceres playing today, does that mean Brandan will play a CAM type role on Wednesday?

Hope so...

My guess for Wednesday is :

Sorensen

Rose Chapman Jakobsen

Brandan Kilkenny Brattan Malik Kamau

Cahill Fornaroli

Subs Bouzanis Fitz Caceres Retre Muscat

Or

Sorensen

Chapman Malik Jakobsen Rose

Brattan Kilkenny

Cahill

Kamau Fornaroli Fitzgerald

Subs Bouzanis Caceres Retre Brandan Muscat

Potentially Jakobsen doesnt play or comes off the bench but i think they'll throw him in

• Like 1

or possibly

Sorensen

Chapman Malik Jakobsen Rose

Kamau Brattan Kilkenny Brandan

Cahill Fornaroli

Subs Bouzanis Caceres Muscat Fitzgerald Retre/Colazo

Fuck i am not looking forward to watching Malik play another game at CB when he is clearly a DM

Ok some positives for me was a lot of young guys got to any against aleague opposition. Another positive was in the second half when we played a complete youth line up we conceded 2 goals, same as the first. We also created some of our best opportunities in the second half and should have easily had two goals.

Negatives were regardless of who we put on the pitch, senior or youth, the same frailties occur when we concede. When we lose the ball we don't close down the opposition player quick enough, resulting in a quick release usually to our exposed wings and ending in a goal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Falastur said:

If the stories are true about CFG not wanting to pull the trigger because of his termination fee, can we expect round 5 to be any different? :/

I agree that i doubt theyd pull the trigger that early, but once it gets to midseason, your termination fee is essentially halved so i think it becomes a factor as the season wears on.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I agree that i doubt theyd pull the trigger that early, but once it gets to midseason, your termination fee is essentially halved so i think it becomes a factor as the season wears on.

I wish CFG buy that Cape Town club sooner rather then later so they can send JVS there.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I find it pretty funny that people are freaking out about our npl team, who basically turned up, started their warm up and then played a game lost to a full strength a league team (who arrived the day before) 4-0

I think the Phoenix game also has set the tone of pessimism. 

I'm in the negative corner thinking the worst but really only because of past seasons and recent pre season results. 

So everything for me hinges on Wednesday. If we dish up the same as previous years then my expectations for the season will be zero.

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think the Phoenix game also has set the tone of pessimism. 

I'm in the negative corner thinking the worst but really only because of past seasons and recent pre season results. 

So everything for me hinges on Wednesday. If we dish up the same as previous years then my expectations for the season will be zero.

There's definitely cause for negativity following the Nix result, the scale of that depends on the individual.

Anyone getting worked up over yesterdays result needs a reality check tho.

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

There's definitely cause for negativity following the Nix result, the scale of that depends on the individual.

Anyone getting worked up over yesterdays result needs a reality check tho.

Well nix only won against CCM 1-0 yesterday and from what I could tell it was a scrappy lucky goal.

Plus with the Nix game. We were there for a week doing  hard double sessions in the heat leading up to the game, and according to reports,  the FNQ twitter account said that the team looked sluggish probably because of all the work during the week.

Oh wait, hang on I better stop I am making excuses.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well nix only won against CCM 1-0 yesterday and from what I could tell it was a scrappy lucky goal.

Plus with the Nix game. We were there for a week doing  hard double sessions in the heat leading up to the game, and according to reports,  the FNQ twitter account said that the team looked sluggish probably because of all the work during the week.

Oh wait, hang on I better stop I am making excuses.

Springfield%20Angry%20Mob.jpg

• Like 1

There's plenty of reasons to be fed-up with what we've been served during the existence of this club (these clubs if you choose to see it that way), but having a meltdown over a game where we played basically an NPL side against a full strength A-League team seems like a bit much for me.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

A few of the apologists need to look at the pre season in it's entirety and not just the Newcastle game. We have copped goals in every game against varying levels of opponents. Every game has a book full of reasons why we played a paticular way but for me I'm sick of hearing the same excuses. 

I'm holding off until Wednesday to see exactly where we at but so far there has been nothing to prove we are any better than any other season. 

Talking Wednesday we will be lucky to get 5k.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

A few of the apologists need to look at the pre season in it's entirety and not just the Newcastle game. We have copped goals in every game against varying levels of opponents. Every game has a book full of reasons why we played a paticular way but for me I'm sick of hearing the same excuses. 

I'm holding off until Wednesday to see exactly where we at but so far there has been nothing to prove we are any better than any other season. 

Talking Wednesday we will be lucky to get 5k.

There are no apologists because there is nothing to apologise for, as you are ignoring that we won the FFA cup matches (the matches that mattered) with a mish mash of unprepared players that had no experience playing with each other and many players being in the club for a month or less.

By all accounts it's been a successful preseason up to now given that success is measured by results in matches that actually count for something.

Practice matches are an opportunity for the club to test and measure different things on the pitch to provide data that can be analysed and used as training tools for all concerned. The result itself does not matter so much, as in a practice match allows a lot of flexibility to try things you wouldn't dare try in a match the counts.

But with JVS, his record shows he may not use this logic so I understand ur concerns even though I have a feeling he may not be the main person pushing the buttons in the strategy and tactics coaching department.

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

There are no apologists because there is nothing to apologise for, as you are ignoring that we won the FFA cup matches (the matches that mattered) with a mish mash of unprepared players that had no experience playing with each other and many players being in the club for a month or less.

By all accounts it's been a successful preseason up to now given that success is measured by results in matches that actually count for something.

Practice matches are an opportunity for the club to test and measure different things on the pitch to provide data that can be analysed and used as training tools for all concerned. The result itself does not matter so much, as in a practice match allows a lot of flexibility to try things you wouldn't dare try in a match the counts.

But with JVS, his record shows he may not use this logic so I understand ur concerns even though I have a feeling he may not be the main person pushing the buttons in the strategy and tactics coaching department.

LOL - Where is the feeling coming from... your loins?

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

With the part highlighted in bold who in the coaching department is pushing the buttons? We've been through a number of assistant coaches, with very similar performances. If the pattern of tactics is similar every time why would you think its anyone other than JVS. 

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

Ease up Det. Thats below the belt. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The first 1, 2 or 3 practice matches are where you test things. After that its match practice, getting the players used to the system(s) they will be playing when the season and getting used to who they will be playing with. So starts so that they are not still learning all these things after the season has started (like our players do every season).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deeming said:

The first 1, 2 or 3 practice matches are where you test things. After that its match practice, getting the players used to the system(s) they will be playing when the season and getting used to who they will be playing with. So starts so that they are not still learning all these things after the season has started (like our players do every season).

Look at the big picture man! We beat a few semi professional clubs in the ffa cup! Why would you be worried that our defence is  still a complete shambles?!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cadete said:

It's more to do with why Valkanis got recruited. But I won't go into my logical insights as it may be beyond the mental capacity of many people like yourself and cause further short circuits in your limbic system, and we can't have that can we.

It's more to do with why Valkanis got recruited. But I won't go into my logical insights as it may be beyond the mental capacity of many people like yourself and cause further short circuits in your limbic system, and we can't have that can we.

Your post reminds of those kids who we used call "Tryhard" in Primary School...

20 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Valkanis will end up like all our previous assistants that come in with pedigree and talent and up where? 

Although Milicic is probably the exception. 

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

You remind me of the primary school bully that achieved nothing in life.

Oh yeah sorry, moderator.

Forgive me and have mercy as you are the almighty one.

I have not used my Moderator Powers since well before MHFC died and even then it was to delete something beyond Anti-Semitic... :droy:

Sorry to hear you were bullied at school, but TBH that does not surprise me.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

With the part highlighted in bold who in the coaching department is pushing the buttons? We've been through a number of assistant coaches, with very similar performances. If the pattern of tactics is similar every time why would you think its anyone other than JVS. 

Master tactician 

image.jpg

I didn't watch the game as I'm away but what I read disturbs me: I can accept that a team of junior players are unlikely to win but they are coached to play the same way as the starting XI and the continuing pattern of concession after turning over the ball playing the first pass out of defence or in midfield is an ongoing issue under JVS. The team is committed to fully attack in transition and provides little defensive structure. This isn't an issue if we can retain possession but we never can. Other teams understand this of course.

• Like 1