Melbourne Football

#startwalker

marteaux

What I posted in the NYL Team Thread:

TBH I think a lot of the "Start Zac Walker" ppl on this forum actually have not seen Zac play as despite the obvious positives there are also some obvious negatives about his game:

First of all, despite his great knack for poaching goals his straight out not creative enough in his passing as a number 10 even for NYL Level let alone A League Level.

Then he has yet to really show he prove himself as Number 10 at the start of NYL games (When older defenders tend to be on the field) or at VPL Level.

He has also shown that a lot of his best attributes are simply not abled to be displayed when he is played in an attacking wing position.

I've seen him in every NYL home game last season and away in Brisbane. Yes I agree that his game needs development however even at this stage he's got a great natural instinct for scoring. I see him more as a number 9 than a 10. It would be a shame to wait until he was 'fully developed' (if ever) before he gets a senior game.

I meant he has yet to prove himself as a 9 against men... and I stand by that...

Of course, and if he never gets played against men then he never will and we'll all be left wondering.....

VPL is different from HAL, Hoffman scored bags of goals in the VPL.

He played against men all last winter and despite a few highlights here and there he did nothing to boost his rep as a Number Nine of the future, I guess it did not help that Chokleigh were playing a similar formation to MH.

Of course, and if he never gets played against men then he never will and we'll all be left wondering.....

He played against men all last winter and despite a few highlights here and there he did nothing to boost his rep as a Number Nine of the future, I guess it did not help that Chokleigh were playing a similar formation to MH.

I always get a kick out of you referring to Australian players as #9's & #10's

I always get a kick out of you referring to Australian players as #9's & #10's

all our players are "sixes and sevens"

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Interesting to read back, but it seems the anti Walkerists have a need to establish their position with this new influx of old threads. much like the LNP when they bring up the unemployed and asylum seekers, to justify tax cuts for people in the highest 10% tax bracket and ways to make bankers more rich. Just rehashing old rhetoric that suits the baby boomers, but not this generation. SSM and pandering to Religion?

It's out of touch and is there to establish their agenda for the elite and whoever wants to donate their money.

I didn't post back then, but it looks like some people put a lot of hope in him and when it didn't work out they became an anti Walkerist, because he had the impunity to fail their expectations.

It's a bit precious...

I think Atkinson has given this club more exposure and positive media response than signing Cahill or Kewell ever did for starters, what about our fans? The crowd obviously enjoyed watching an exciting product get a chance, so many oohs, aahs and clapping.

He might work out, he may not, but it would be a shame to turn his exciting debut into a political/philosophical stance dogmatically, rather than just acknowledge he did ok instead and hope he does well with every chance he gets like every City player.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

In what reality? Like seriously, what world has the obscure debut of an 18 year old generated more media than arguably the two best socceroos of all time playing for our club. 

I've read some brain dead shit on this forum, but this surely takes the cake. 

Im logging off for a few days. I can't handle this level of stupid 

Well, maybe some over-statement there by @moops about Atkinson's impact compared with Cahill and Kewell, but the crowd's reaction to Atkinson was very positive indeed, even when his name was announced as a starting player. My feeling is that our club will only ever be a "Melbourne club for Melbourne people" when we do see one or two of our young guns come through the ranks and become established in the seniors.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, maybe some over-statement there by @moops about Atkinson's impact compared with Cahill and Kewell, but the crowd's reaction to Atkinson was very positive indeed, even when his name was announced as a starting player. My feeling is that our club will only ever be a "Melbourne club for Melbourne people" when we do see one or two of our young guns come through the ranks and become established in the seniors.

Isnt he just completely missing the point about what the 'Walkerist' thing is though?

As far as i'd always understood it, it was a reference to people that constantly call for the youth kids to get games over senior players and the subsequent chucking the toys out of the cot at their non-selection, despite any form and/or knowledge of how they train with the main group and/or their attitudes or behaviours. It was never specifically about anyone in particular, Walker just became the poster boy, much like Pierias last season, off the back of one good game. 

I'm pretty sure just about every fan we have would love to see youth come through and feature regularly in the side, the Walkerist thing was about calling out those that wanted to play them regardless of anything other than their age.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Isnt he just completely missing the point about what the 'Walkerist' thing is though?

As far as i'd always understood it, it was a reference to people that constantly call for the youth kids to get games over senior players and the subsequent chucking the toys out of the cot at their non-selection, despite any form and/or knowledge of how they train with the main group and/or their attitudes or behaviours. It was never specifically about anyone in particular, Walker just became the poster boy, much like Pierias last season, off the back of one good game. 

I'm pretty sure just about every fan we have would love to see youth come through and feature regularly in the side, the Walkerist thing was about calling out those that wanted to play them regardless of anything other than their age.

It morphed into what you describe, but in the beginning it was calls for Zac Walker to start in the seniors because he was scoring for fun in the youth side. IIRC he never did get that call. Jeremy Walker did, and so did Craig Goodwin (now with Sparta Rotterdam).

I interpreted @moops' post as suggesting that Walkerism has spawned anti-Walkerism, and that in the case of Atkinson some people don't want to acknowledge that he had a good debut simply on the basis that he is young.

FWIW I'm in neither camp. IMO Atkinson had a sound debut, and he did enough to hold his place for the next match irrespective of his age.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It morphed into what you describe, but in the beginning it was calls for Zac Walker to start in the seniors because he was scoring for fun in the youth side. IIRC he never did get that call. Jeremy Walker did, and so did Craig Goodwin (now with Sparta Rotterdam).

I interpreted @moops' post as suggesting that Walkerism has spawned anti-Walkerism, and that in the case of Atkinson some people don't want to acknowledge that he had a good debut simply on the basis that he is young.

FWIW I'm in neither camp. IMO Atkinson had a sound debut, and he did enough to hold his place for the next match irrespective of his age.

Indeed, i thought he had a pretty good debut, outstanding in the first half and average in the second. Enough to hold his spot for mine, but like every player on the list, should be judged on his performances, not his age or 'potential'.

I dont think anyone has not acknowledged his game, more just not to get too carried away with it and not to overrate it.

Edited by bt50

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

In what reality? Like seriously, what world has the obscure debut of an 18 year old generated more media than arguably the two best socceroos of all time playing for our club. 

I've read some brain dead shit on this forum, but this surely takes the cake. 

Im logging off for a few days. I can't handle this level of stupid 

Lol

21 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

It’s a great thing that this forum has invented words ... Walkerist, walkerism, a Germano ....

I created the world "Walkerist"... and this is exactly what it meant?

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

My job was a lot more boring at the time so I use to like create words for the forum to at least feel like my BA in History and Politics at Newman College was not just about drinking, smoking bongs and chasing skirt.

Of course it terms of my Vocation now... it basically was exactly that.

Edited by cadete