Melbourne Football

Strider Presents - Victory derby v1

Hughesie27

1 minute ago, hakz7 said:

Fuck me, watching the first half and it's like there's a mic on the NT capo... can hear him more than the actual terrace. 

melburnians sounded loud and proud on the SEN coverage i popped on a few times during the game - nice job lads

Edited by hyperfuzz

41 minutes ago, hyperfuzz said:

surely you can see the difference between the two comments. i would (and do), as we all hopefully would, accept and celebrate our friends and family who are gay. i would not accept my friends and family being victory supporters. let's leave it to the other mob to be the ones who set off flares and yell "poofta" at the opposing players.

anyway. good game

Yeah my comment had nothing to do with whether or not niko was being homophobic, I just found it funny because somebody actually said that haha

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The low-light was Melburnians chanting "we hate victory" when the players came over to celebrate long after the game. We don't have to define ourselves as not victory and we really shouldn't be doing that in that moment. That moment is about celebrating our own achievements, not about singing about the tards ffs. 

I know this has nothing to do with the terrace leadership and it's the derby specials who start those chants, but it's a shame.

We've forever done that chant at the end of derbies 

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

The only thing I'll add is no one should underestimate the positive influence Cahill is bringing to the dressing room.

This!!!  Add Brattan getting into the scuffles with glee and Bruno with the arm-band niggling away and not taking a backward step (and Sorensen doesn't shy away either), this is the first time I've seen some real steel at our club. We all know it's a game of skill, but we've lost many a game over the years through physical intimidation alone - Mariners under Arnie and Perth repeatedly come to mind. These guys, with Cahill leading the charge, won't back down. I'll wear the occasional red card - but I hope we push on with this strength. I want us to be known as no pushover - it's been way too long!!

A good test against the Lowe crew next Friday. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Obviously as you've mentioned the players are a class above many of the Heart players, but I think it mostly comes down to the personalities and attitudes of the players. As much as people on here would love us to have a team of 17 year olds, all of the older, experienced players in our squad are winners. They are smart and strong and are sensational leaders. As somebody mentioned earlier I think its players like Cahill, Fornaroli, Soresen and Kilkenny. Guys who are natural leaders and whos passion is infectious. I think its becoming clearer and clearer to the group that mediocrity will not be accepted. Very good to see

You's can thank me later for starting Seven Nation Army after Brattans and Brandens goals ;) 52' and 63' - Fucken chaos in the terrace, loved how you's all joined in! Ultimate pisstake

Edited by Baka1
  • Like 1

Melbourne Derby analysis: Cahill lives up to the hype

Saturday, 15 October 2016 

Michael Huguenin

If there was any doubt about Tim Cahill’s ability to perform following his big-money move to the Hyundai A-League with Melbourne City, the Caltex Socceroos legend has taken just one game to prove he’s worth every cent.

Cahill opened the scoring in Saturday night's Melbourne derby, half-volleying past Melbourne Victory goalkeeper Lawrence Thomas from 40 yards.

Cahill's goal kick-started an emphatic 4-1 win for City in the Melbourne derby, which makes them early favourites for the A-League title.

Cahill magic lifts City to thumping Melbourne Derby win

Cahill didn't start brilliantly - he spent more time in the first 15 minutes clattering into opposition players than touching the ball - but in the 27th minute he announced himself in spectacular fashion.

A high ball skimmed off the head of Victory defender James Donachie and Cahill pounced, lashing it with his right boot over Thomas' head and into the top corner of the net.

But while Cahill's goal will undoubtedly grab the headlines, the real story was City's dominance at Etihad Stadium.

For just about the first time in the history of the Melbourne derby, Victory looked utterly second rate.

City's pressing left Kevin Muscat's side with little time on the ball, while the three-time A-League champions were bemused by the movement of John van 't Schip's men.

In defence, City lined up in a 4-1-2-3 formation, with Neil Kilkenny as a centre-back and Nicolas Colazo and Tim Cahill as the two advanced midfielders.

Once they won possession, however, Van 't Schip's side morphed into a 3-2-5.

Kilkenny stepped into midfield alongside Luke Brattan, Cahill moved up front and Colazo pushed to the left wing, with Fernando Brandan drifting inside.

Victory's defenders didn't seem to know who to mark and, in the 31st minute, Colazo was left alone on the wing to whip in a perfect cross for fellow marquee Bruno Fornaroli to slide in at the back post and head home.

Just six minutes into the second half, Bruce Kamau - who was one of City's best - left Alan Baro on the deck and surged into the box, cutting back for Luke Brattan to score the visitors' third goal.

Victory gained a foothold in the contest after the introduction of Leigh Broxham and Nick Ansell, with Marco Rojas showing impressive skill to weave his way past three defenders and score in the 62nd minute.

But just two minutes later Brandan wrapped up three points for City, holding off Jason Geria and then firing his shot inside Thomas' near post.

The win took City to six points from two games but - more significantly - has installed them as favourites for the A-League title alongside Sydney FC. 

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/melbourne-derby-analysis-tim-cahill-lives-up-to-the-hype/1sds2s9018ius148465hx8dyea

For a good portion of the game the active section was pumping. However there seemed to be a lot of anti victory chants during this game. We also seemed to not have many chants to sing from the 80th minute onwards. Looking for constructive discussion about this, is there a plan for games about which chants will be sung in what order or the timing of chants during games? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

For a good portion of the game the active section was pumping. However there seemed to be a lot of anti victory chants during this game. We also seemed to not have many chants to sing from the 80th minute onwards. Looking for constructive discussion about this, is there a plan for games about which chants will be sung in what order or the timing of chants during games? 

This is a result of only having 1 or 2 chants that actually go on for longer than 10 seconds and are catchy. Plenty of good ones on the forum that can be used

Just now, Baka1 said:

I think most people were out of breath for the last 15 minutes. I was fucked after our 4th goal and lost my voice for the next day... And besides, who would Chant watching the boys doing training drills? 😎

Haha fair point. I know chanting happens before kick off, and a point has been made in the past that it gets everyone going. However couldn't this wait for when the team comes out on the pitch? Encourage the support to happen when the team can hear it which I'd imagine this would help once we get to the end of the game. There'll always be those that will want to start before hand, tough to control that, however I'm more talking about the leadership and how they see this.