Melbourne Football

Michael Jakobsen

GreenSeater

19 hours ago, Deeming said:

Good age. Good he's played internationals.

A bit of a concern he's only played +15 games in a season once in the last 5 seasons

What's your source? According to Soccerbase he's played 15+ games in 3 of the last 5 seasons, and averages around 25 - and that's just league matches. Considering the Danish league plays 33 games a season, that's not terrible.

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Well we've at least cornered support from the Danish community. Maybe we could also sign Lagertha for the W League team

Haha. Only problem is that Lagertha was Norwegian...

Edited by Falastur

1 hour ago, Falastur said:

What's your source? According to Soccerbase he's played 15+ games in 3 of the last 5 seasons, and averages around 25 - and that's just league matches. Considering the Danish league plays 33 games a season, that's not terrible.

I didn't get that either.
transfermarkt.co.uk shows that in all competitions MJ played 30 matches in 15/16, 40 in 14/15 and 35 in 13/14.
In 2016 so far he's played 14, the last of which was on 20th August.

4 hours ago, Falastur said:

Haha. Only problem is that Lagertha was Norwegian...

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I didn't get that either.
transfermarkt.co.uk shows that in all competitions MJ played 30 matches in 15/16, 40 in 14/15 and 35 in 13/14.
In 2016 so far he's played 14, the last of which was on 20th August.

It was http://www.national-football-teams.com/player/30615/Michael_Jakobsen.html

Which is different to the transfermarkt.co.uk stats. I'm more confident seeing those stats

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, japiedog said:

i was pretty pissed off by his acting. The fall down holding the face scam pushes the envelope

This is a very Aussie 'just have a go' type of mentality. Which isn't wrong by any means but often when a player uses other means besides their effort to win it doesn't sit well in our culture. It is however one reason why in some of our sports we lack the edge over our overseas counterparts. I for one don't mind it and want this culture to shift away just slightly so our athletes become a bit more ruthless in getting over the line. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

This is a very Aussie 'just have a go' type of mentality. Which isn't wrong by any means but often when a player uses other means besides their effort to win it doesn't sit well in our culture. It is however one reason why in some of our sports we lack the edge over our overseas counterparts. I for one don't mind it and want this culture to shift away just slightly so our athletes become a bit more ruthless in getting over the line. 

so you want to go down the track of win at all costs, rolling around for 5 minutes for an ankle tap, to make sure the opponent gets a card, then suddenly jump up and be able to sprint the length of the pitch in 10 seconds ?

BITD when I played , if an opponent was up for an Oscar, he'd be quietly warned that the next tackle would follow through and he would have some real pain.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, japiedog said:

so you want to go down the track of win at all costs, rolling around for 5 minutes for an ankle tap, to make sure the opponent gets a card, then suddenly jump up and be able to sprint the length of the pitch in 10 seconds ?

BITD when I played , if an opponent was up for an Oscar, he'd be quietly warned that the next tackle would follow through and he would have some real pain.

Yes, a slight shift in mentality towards winning at all costs. Just to clarify I'm not saying to stay down for 5 minutes at every opportunity. Just those times when it's needed. So if your 1-0 up with 5 min left and the opponents have the run of momentum you do whatever it takes to find a way to win. If it means you feign injury to stop their momentum then yes by all means do it. 

Edited: And just to make a point our greatest moment in football history, 2005 World Cup qualification against Uruguay, all came about from us utilising tactics and mentality never seen in our culture. Fixing flights, hostile environment during their anthem. Even during the game we played dirty, as they did, using any means necassary to win. Without these things I have no doubt we would have lost that game. In the end we go got in and they didn't. That's the difference. That's the mentality we need to, not completely, partly adopt a part of. 

Edited by n i k o

6 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I'm basically with you JP. Play it as it's meant to be played. I admired the way Krishna stayed upright when Bouzanis went down at his feet. But I do also agree with Niko that we have appeared a little 'soft" at times in the past.

• Like 1

When you see what happens in some internationals, I guess if you can't beat them, join them, but in the domestic league, I don't think there's anything wrong with the FFA stamping such tactics out. As niko's mentioned, it's frowned upon in Australian culture and while sometimes this country's holier than thou attitude with regards to fair play in sport is tiresome, stuff like that just gives people a free hit against the A-League.

If you pick up the ball (let alone play an impromptu game of keeping's off with an opposition player) when your team doesn't have the free kick: automatic yellow card. Assisted/stretchered to the bench: mandatory 5-10 minutes off the park unless the player is subbed. Players dropping to stretch out cramps in added time of a close game: play on. Simulation, or Jakobsen-esque behind the play Academy Award efforts: "please explain" from the league, then fines/suspensions.

I guarantee that the league would earn much more mainstream appeal if it was tougher on the stuff that almost everyone agrees is a bad look, but for some reason continues to be condoned. I don't blame Jakobsen and he looks like he'll be a fantastic addition, it's the rules that need to be changed. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SF33 said:

When you see what happens in some internationals, I guess if you can't beat them, join them, but in the domestic league, I don't think there's anything wrong with the FFA stamping such tactics out. As niko's mentioned, it's frowned upon in Australian culture and while sometimes this country's holier than thou attitude with regards to fair play in sport is tiresome, stuff like that just gives people a free hit against the A-League.

If you pick up the ball (let alone play an impromptu game of keeping's off with an opposition player) when your team doesn't have the free kick: automatic yellow card. Assisted/stretchered to the bench: mandatory 5-10 minutes off the park unless the player is subbed. Players dropping to stretch out cramps in added time of a close game: play on. Simulation, or Jakobsen-esque behind the play Academy Award efforts: "please explain" from the league, then fines/suspensions.

I guarantee that the league would earn much more mainstream appeal if it was tougher on the stuff that almost everyone agrees is a bad look, but for some reason continues to be condoned. I don't blame Jakobsen and he looks like he'll be a fantastic addition, it's the rules that need to be changed. 

Out of likes but "like." But don't think we have a good record on "fair play" in, for example, cricket.

• Like 1

Just now, jw1739 said:

Out of likes but "like." But don't think we have a good record on "fair play" in, for example, cricket.

Agreed. I mentioned Australia's holier than thou attitude and the main reason that it's tiresome to me is that, at the risk of generalising, we're full of shit, basically.

36 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I want us to be more ruthless about getting over the line too. Score another goal, control the tempo of the game by keeping possession.

Anyone who is injured enough to stop play should have a compulsory 5 minutes on the side line for a full medical assessment and recovery time, that would stamp out the play acting

• Like 1

Let's put it this way

It took Harry Novillo a while to work out that, when he was lying on ground writhing in agony, the boos from the crowd weren't just for the Referee or the opposition.

I have no problem with shutting a game down, many ways to do that, but blatant acting, is not something I want to see creep into our game.

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I don't know a lot about cricket but in terms of our history aren't we considered the best nation ever to play the game? 

For me that'd be the Windies of the 70's and 80's.  Unbelievable bowlers Michael Holding,  Andy Roberts, Joel Garner, Colin Croft .  Later Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh.  And then the batsmen: Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Richardson, Gomes, Keeper Dujon was no mug with the bat.  Just an amazing team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Next time an opposition player "acts" I'll wait to hear the clapping and laughing from City Fans, in appreciation of moving the game "forward"

If our players to do it it's to be applauded, If another team's players do it they're cunts. That's how it works.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Next time an opposition player "acts" I'll wait to hear the clapping and laughing from City Fans, in appreciation of moving the game "forward"

Come on. Seriously. Of course we will be pissed off. But understand it's a part of the game.