Melbourne Football

Silence of the Lambs- The Thomas Lam thread

kingofhearts

We’re excited to welcome Thomas Lam to City, with the Finnish defensive midfielder signing a two-year deal through to the end of the 2023/24 season.

Lam, 28, is an athletic defensive midfielder also capable of playing as a central defender. His signing adds more quality and depth to Patrick Kisnorbo’s squad ahead of the new A-League Men’s season. 

Although he was born in Amsterdam, Lam has dual citizenship, which has seen him capped 28 times by the Finnish national team and selected in the 26-man squad for their EURO 2020 campaign. 

The Finnish international has spent most of his career in the Netherlands top flight. Lam boasts an impressive CV in the Eredivisie with AZ Alkmaar, PEC Zwolle and FC Twente. He has made 160 appearances over the last decade while also scoring 16 goals and laying off a further eight assists.

Join Thomas in committing to City for the new season! Head to shop.melbournecityfc.com.au or give our City Hotline a call on 1300 255 432 to become a Member today.

While PEC Zwolle is where he has played his most football with 140 appearances in two separate stints, Lam spent last season with CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria’s top division. 

There’s already one familiar face at City, with Lam having twice faced off against Richard van der Venne while both were playing in the Eredivisie. 

Michael Petrillo, Melbourne City FC Director of Football, said Lam’s versatility and experience made him a great fit for the squad. 

“At 28 years of age, Thomas is coming into his best years in football. 

“He is a player who has a great passing range with an ability to find through passes,” Petrillo said, “Physically, his athleticism and mobility were key attributes that stood out and along with his technical ability makes him the perfect fit for the profile of the player we were looking for in our football style.”

Lam said he was excited about the opportunity to join City and can’t wait to get started. 

“I’m very excited to be joining a Club of Melbourne City’s stature. They have achieved great things on the pitch in recent times and I am determined to help the team win more silverware this season. 

“I can’t wait to get to Melbourne, settle in and meet my new teammates, coaches and the City fans.”

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-sign-finnish-international-thomas-lam

I like him. Solid signing IMO. Like for like Griffiths replacement, same height too (1.88m)!

• Still in national team contention as he played 30 minutes in Finland's Nations League game against Bosnia in June of this year. 
  • Last season he regularly played 90 minutes for CSKA Sofia, which included 2x 90 minute appearances in the UEFA Conference League against Roma.
  • In season 20/21, he played 90 minutes regularly for PEC Zwolle (sometimes with the Captain's armband) and made occasional appearances for Finland.
  • Interestingly in the 20/21 season he was suspended twice for 4 games each! He averages about 1 red card per season.

Finally we may have our first VISA since Brendan and Cabrera that has some agro!!

Edited by haz
  • Like 3

• jw1739 changed the title to Silence of the Lambs- The Thomas Lam thread
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up the "gym in a shed" shot too. The much-vaunted facilities don't look that crash hot, do they? When you add in that the NPL boys play home matches at Parade College in Bundoora I wonder whether it was such a smart move after all? IIRC it was all supposed to be ready by February 2021 when we moved in at Casey Fields?

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I picked up the "gym in a shed" shot too. The much-vaunted facilities don't look that crash hot, do they? When you add in that the NPL boys play home matches at Parade College in Bundoora I wonder whether it was such a smart move after all? IIRC it was all supposed to be ready by February 2021 when we moved in at Casey Fields?

It sure does look like it's running behind with the construction schedule. Playing matches elswhere only tells me that the facilities aren't ready - not much different than withg Bundoora which the club had out grown.

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/construction-begins-melbourne-city-fcs-new-home-south-east-melbourne

The first stage of construction includes the central elite training pitch, with its 115m x 115m hybrid grass surface, and is due for completion by the end of 2021. The new pitch is adjacent to the site’s existing four full-sized pitches – one grass and three synthetic – which will be primarily used by the Club’s Academy teams and for City in the Community programs, as well as for City of Casey school and club programs.

The next stage of construction will see the development of Melbourne City’s new two-storey administration and high performance building at Casey Fields, currently in detailed design phase. Construction on that phase of the facility is due to commence in the coming months, with completion estimated for mid-2022.

The Club’s Academy teams started training and playing at Casey Fields in February. Administration staff will begin working from Casey Fields next month, before our championship-winning A-League team and four-time Westfield W-League championship winning team commence 2021-22 pre-season training on site in August and September respectively.

https://www.sbs.com.au/sport/article/focus-grows-on-dandenong-stadium-in-wake-of-melbourne-citys-south-east-move/pqw3wv3bb

When completed, the complex will house an elite training pitch, four full-sized floodlit pitches, a facility to house the club's performance and administrative staff and possess scope for the erection of a 4,000 seat "mini-stadium”. Community access to a number of existing and newly constructed facilities will be maintained as part of the plans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That article is dated 1st July 2021.

It seems I had misread the information about the Casey facility. I thought that we were moving into something that was already there but were then going to add a few bits and pieces rather than a whole new building, but seems I was mistaken.

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That article is dated 1st July 2021.

It seems I had misread the information about the Casey facility. I thought that we were moving into something that was already there but were then going to add a few bits and pieces rather than a whole new building, but seems I was mistaken.

Yeah pretty much the blueprints from Team11 and the space was already there.

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

You would think with the likes of Good and Nuno to return shortly our defence will only improve. He should retain his spot on current form though and would be stiff to be pushed to the bench... 

Agree I see Nuno being a bench player for us going forward (unless HE or Good can play RB or LB?). 

Nuno is solid, but also seems he fell out of favour at the end of last season. 

Is this the strongest defence group we've ever had? 

48 minutes ago, haz said:

Agree I see Nuno being a bench player for us going forward (unless HE or Good can play RB or LB?). 

I think Nuno is better than a bench player. However Lam is playing well enough to keep one of them out. That will most likely be Nuno as Good is expected to return to playing before Nuno will. 

Just now, MHFC-FAN said:

I think Nuno is better than a bench player. However Lam is playing well enough to keep one of them out. That will most likely be Nuno as Good is expected to return to playing before Nuno will. 

50 minutes ago, haz said:

And yes this is a very solid bunch of defenders this season. Let's see after round 8 or 9 how we are tracking defencelessly 

The question this week is who will replace Gomulka in midfield. Will Pk go for a like for like i.e another DM so bring either Lam or Jamo into that role with Good expected to be back, or will he give VDV the midfield role like the second half of last week or bring Tilio on as a starter and play him or Leckie in midfield

5 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

The question this week is who will replace Gomulka in midfield. Will Pk go for a like for like i.e another DM so bring either Lam or Jamo into that role with Good expected to be back, or will he give VDV the midfield role like the second half of last week or bring Tilio on as a starter and play him or Leckie in midfield

To me you would leave Lam as CB next to Good, as he should be back. O'Neil ideally is the only CDM we need. I believe Van Der Venne will help add some extra flair in midfield with Berisha on the other side as that combo will likely work against Victory. 

Wow, playing Oneil VDV and Berisha with Maclaren Nabbout and Leckie is way too attacking for PK. I would love to see it, probably wouldn't work but it would be way too risky for a Derby. 

I think PK will play Good or Nuno if fit and they will go to CB alongside Jamo. Bos and Talbot fullbacks. And Lam will play alongside Oneil, which will push VDV to the bench with Tilio.

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Wow, playing Oneil VDV and Berisha with Maclaren Nabbout and Leckie is way too attacking for PK. I would love to see it, probably wouldn't work but it would be way too risky for a Derby. 

I think PK will play Good or Nuno if fit and they will go to CB alongside Jamo. Bos and Talbot fullbacks. And Lam will play alongside Oneil, which will push VDV to the bench with Tilio.

I say "Boooooo" to that...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

VDV surely takes Gomulkas spot. I assume he is our first choice there anyway and just wasnt quite fit enough to start the first game.

I understood VDV is not an DM? Whilst he can take his spot in the team, it will mean O’Neill will move back into this DM position, with VDV and Berisha in front of him.

Edited by Mr MO

O'Neill is a natural DM so he will probably go back into that position with VDV and Berisha as the 2 8s

Also on Lam, he looks extremely calm and composed which is very nice to have at the back, with him being 28 I definitely think he will be the starting right centre back for the next 3 years if all goes well 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nate said:

This guy is phenomenal and his composure under pressure is elite. 

What happens when Nuno Reis becomes available? Will Lam slot into midfield at someone else's expense, or does he keep Nuno out of the starting XI? 

Good problems to have.

From PK commented that Lam was bought in to play CB not CDM. 

I commented in another thread that I see Nuno being bench this season as our first choice defensive sub. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, haz said:

From PK commented that Lam was bought in to play CB not CDM. 

I commented in another thread that I see Nuno being bench this season as our first choice defensive sub. 

What makes it interesting is that eventually you need to bench your captain, we have better players on LB and CB if fit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What makes it interesting is that eventually you need to bench your captain, we have better players on LB and CB if fit.

Imo it was a mistake keeping Jamieson as captain for this season. The only problem is that there are not many in the squad that are "captain types" (maybe Lam after he has been here for a season).

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Haha we should probably ask…so where have you been Johnno?

Well i can only think he had a very uninspiring game as i watched all the game and never heard a word from the commentators about him, he seems to me to be one of those players who is there but never mentioned .

He was very good again against Nix. Popped up with a saving header, and also got his head in the way of a shot at goal too. He has very good ball control and passing. He's going to be one of those reliable players who does all the unnoticed things but actually is part of the glue holding the defence together. 

• Like 1