Melbourne Football

I wonder...

jw1739

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I am still rather sceptical that it is being handled well.

The following article indicates that the whole thing is rife with errors.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/i-hold-my-hand-up-says-weimar-over-errors-on-dhhs-exposure-site-list-20210105-p56rw7.html

I also question why they would not include sites and dates erroneously included in a separate category stating that they have been removed and providing the reason why. 

Well at least they are listing places now. That’s step 1. Step 2 will be listing the correct places. I’m thinking based on progress to date, that’ll be by June?

59 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well at least they are listing places now. That’s step 1. Step 2 will be listing the correct places. I’m thinking based on progress to date, that’ll be by June?

Step 1 ought to be that businesses keep their details up-to-date. It is incredible the number of businesses I look for and find that their web-site is out-of-date. Wrong address, wrong contact name or staff list, wrong opening hours, last year's menu...the list goes on. And then there are these "business contact databases" that give conflicting information.

As this pandemic continues it reveals more and more deficiencies in the way we do things. 

I would also add that some people's memories may be faulty in that they thought that they went somewhere but in fact they didn't. Specially if this was several days ago. Whether it is worthwhile stating that location X was incorrect because person thought that they were there I am not sure because there may be unintended consequences. If you think that this is not necessarily the case my mother has had two strokes but still lives independently and we have to make sure she writes things down otherwise her wires cross very easily.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I would also add that some people's memories may be faulty in that they thought that they went somewhere but in fact they didn't. Specially if this was several days ago. Whether it is worthwhile stating that location X was incorrect because person thought that they were there I am not sure because there may be unintended consequences. If you think that this is not necessarily the case my mother has had two strokes but still lives independently and we have to make sure she writes things down otherwise her wires cross very easily.

Also at this time of year I lose track of what the day is. So many holidays - every day seems like Sunday.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I wonder what the true reason is behind Australian government restricting the posting of news links and all posts from news pages in Australia on Facebook...

I don't understand the whole furore. I thought that a private organisation could choose what it wanted to do or not to do provided that it acted within the law.

If Facebook chooses not to give information published by the Australian Government a free ride, or doesn't wish to pay for it, then so be it.

Throughout the pandemic I've accessed all my information via the ABC. I'm in Group 1b for vaccination, but so far have not received a single government (State or Commonwealth) communication advising me of when, where and how I can access that vaccination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't understand the whole furore. I thought that a private organisation could choose what it wanted to do or not to do provided that it acted within the law.

If Facebook chooses not to give information published by the Australian Government a free ride, or doesn't wish to pay for it, then so be it.

Throughout the pandemic I've accessed all my information via the ABC. I'm in Group 1b for vaccination, but so far have not received a single government (State or Commonwealth) communication advising me of when, where and how I can access that vaccination.

The hypocrisy is galling.

The Australian Government are an incompetent bunch of morons who couldn't hold a candle to Facebook. What the fuck are they on about?

Seriously, what's with the arrogance of Australians in general? I'm starting to see us as a bunch of cry babies who throw the toys out the cot every time someone wants to challenge us. The only people I like these days are regional types. The outer suburbs of every major city are full of ice junkie dole roaches and the inner city are full of c200 driving fart sniffers. 

I think I need a holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

19 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The hypocrisy is galling.

TTDIM: grabbing the popcorn and watching all these whinging povo arsehats sulk when (a) you can still find plenty of free sources of news, and (b) the povo bastards probably wouldn't chip in for a digital copy of the herald sun / the age / etc (let alone by a fucking hard print newspaper). 

Who needs fake reality TV with this shit? Plus it's a distraction from how we play 😒

• Like 3

Tinfoil hat time....

Scomo had known about the Parliament House rape scandal for months.  He learned that Brittany Higgins was about to come forward. Grace Tame was specifically chosen as Australian of the Year to show that "Yes, the Government deeply cares about this issue". Just as Brittany Higgins is about to come out, Dutton's pork-barrelling scandal is leaked to turn media attention away. Once the rape scandal hit the headlines, the Government were more than happy for Facebook to go ahead and restrict news on their platform.... cause we all know most people who use FB don't realise that news exists beyond their FB feed.

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, haz said:

Tinfoil hat time....

Scomo had known about the Parliament House rape scandal for months.  He learned that Brittany Higgins was about to come forward. Grace Tame was specifically chosen as Australian of the Year to show that "Yes, the Government deeply cares about this issue". Just as Brittany Higgins is about to come out, Dutton's pork-barrelling scandal is leaked to turn media attention away. Once the rape scandal hit the headlines, the Government were more than happy for Facebook to go ahead and restrict news on their platform.... cause we all know most people who use FB don't realise that news exists beyond their FB feed.

https://theconversation.com/five-aspects-of-pentecostalism-that-shed-light-on-scott-morrisons-politics-117511

Consistent with his past behaviour and beliefs Morrison is very unlikely to to really do anything about it - it was all part of God's plan.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

https://theconversation.com/five-aspects-of-pentecostalism-that-shed-light-on-scott-morrisons-politics-117511

Consistent with his past behaviour and beliefs Morrison is very unlikely to to really do anything about it - it was all part of God's plan.

I am quite surprised how no one has called evangelists for what they are: a pagan religion with Jesus as a fig leaf. A lot of that comes straight out of the ancient Greek and Roman religions.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...whether we are spending so much money, time and energy on updating hardware, software and fighting cyber crime that in a number of cases it would be more economic to revert to the "old way" of doing things.

It has been reported that the espionage agencies have reverted to typewriters and snail mail for some  things. Can't see industry reverting though. And the updating of hardware/software is being driven by the tech companies by no longer supporting them once they have deemed it end of life.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

9 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I think hobart takes the prize there

I've lived a total of 45 years in both. Thinking back and remembering Hobart, I wouldn't want to call which is the winner (or should that be loser?). They're both miserable at this time of year. It's probably a toss-up all the year. A potentially nice Hobart summer day is ruined by lunchtime with a roaring sea-breeze coming up the Derwent.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I wonder...does anyone else receive regular scam emails and now texts? I rarely visit sites such as MyGov and Australia Post, but had to over the weekend, and today received scam emails purporting to be from both. Who's being hacked - me or these big organisations? I would have thought the latter (why bother with me?). And I'm not with Optus...

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...does anyone else receive regular scam emails and now texts? I rarely visit sites such as MyGov and Australia Post, but had to over the weekend, and today received scam emails purporting to be from both. Who's being hacked - me or these big organisations? I would have thought the latter (why bother with me?). And I'm not with Optus...

With these emails n text its unlikely anyone is hacked prior to the email being sent, it is just mass emails sent out as part of a fishing exercise.

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You can see if/when your email has been stolen in a breach here. 

https://haveibeenpwned.com

• 4 months later...

I wonder...whether there is any point to the so-called ban on single use plastics in Victoria when our major supermarket chains are still selling a wide range of products in containers, many with plastic film, that cannot be recycled.

My bins are full of this stuff despite my trying to buy products in recyclable containers.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...whether there is any point to the so-called ban on single use plastics in Victoria when our major supermarket chains are still selling a wide range of products in containers, many with plastic film, that cannot be recycled.

My bins are full of this stuff despite my trying to buy products in recyclable containers.

The ban is limited and selective (although I would expect this to expand as time goes by). See here:

https://www.vic.gov.au/single-use-plastics

On 01/02/2023 at 3:06 PM, jw1739 said:

There is a point, it's a major step in the right direction. Ultimately we need to continue addressing issues like what you have raised, but a good change shouldn't be dismissed because it could be better. 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...could any incident, its subsequent investigation and enquiry have been the subject of so many doubts as to procedure as the Parliamentary rape allegation?

I can't think of any! For the record, after the leaking of the report to the journalist by the Judge himself, just lock anyone who lives in the ACT. Spare us the soap opera.