Melbourne Football

I wonder...

jw1739

13 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I wonder if anyone else just randomly remembers some of the shit this club has done over the years and gets mad about it. Like today I was just sitting there at work and I remembered when city were trying to stamp out all red and white from the stands and they had that promo where you would bring it your heart kits and get a discount on city merch and I just thought "fuck this club! Why am I still here?!"

They're still trying to do it. I received my Foundation Member scarf this season. Very nice. Except not a skerrick of red on it. I may be a crusty old buzzard, but I'll never wear it for that very reason.

I don't believe for a moment that there's any "brand" synergy that justifies our present colours. We're associated with failure, and I can't see that does the "brand" any good whatsoever.

One of the best things you can do in life is to be big enough and have the humility to admit when you have made a mistake, rectify what you've done, and move on. I can see no evidence in CFG of this quality.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

They're still trying to do it. I received my Foundation Member scarf this season. Very nice. Except not a skerrick of red on it. I may be a crusty old buzzard, but I'll never wear it for that very reason.

I don't believe for a moment that there's any "brand" synergy that justifies our present colours. We're associated with failure, and I can't see that does the "brand" any good whatsoever.

One of the best things you can do in life is to be big enough and have the humility to admit when you have made a mistake, rectify what you've done, and move on. I can see no evidence in CFG of this quality.

I bought a Heart (season 2) scarf from VIC Markets when I first came to Melbourne. I didnt buy a shirt in the final Heart season (wish I did), but I bought our first City kit with that decent discount members got. My City shirt is falling apart but I doubt I will ever replace it.

On 06/11/2018 at 8:43 PM, KSK_47 said:

I wonder if anyone else just randomly remembers some of the shit this club has done over the years and gets mad about it. Like today I was just sitting there at work and I remembered when city were trying to stamp out all red and white from the stands and they had that promo where you would bring it your heart kits and get a discount on city merch and I just thought "fuck this club! Why am I still here?!"

Same here: Prior to last season thinking about stuff like that just got to me to the point where I had enough and could not see a reason to support the club anymore, I saw a point in catching up with my mates I made through being a Heart fan on Game Day but nothing to do with being a Melbourne City fan.

For example: My sister is having a son in a month (The First Grandchild in our family) and I decided to get some sport gifts for him. Anyway my sister follows Carlton (like my dad) so the kid will obviously support them - So I left that to her. Instead I brought him a Celtic Baby-suit (The Family Team), then I brought him a Juventus one and put Brunswick on the back (With my sister I both growing up in West Brunswick and going we were taught to be Juve/Brunswick Juve fans at our largely Italian Primary School).

My wife then said she also wanted to buy him a Baby-suit, so I went to an Australian site and got her to order a Manly one. I have been a Manly fan since I was ten and by co-incidence its now the local team for where my family and he will live in Sydney). I then randomly saw they had City Baby-Suits for cheap and I did not want to go anywhere near them. I was like fuck getting that kid to follow this club.

When City first started I kind of cared and I went to the match mainly to see my mates, and I liked to watch Novillo being such a flawed and lazy yet talented player his odd personality appealed to me in a Stan Collymore like way.

However, when City won the FFA Cup and as I stood with my best mates I made from Yarraside and the first time I seen a lot of the KGB guys for a while who I knew since they were school kids: I then realized when whistle went how hollow the win really was and that I probably hated this New Club as much as I liked them. I could have handled if they had changed the name from MHFC to MCFC and given us a Blue Collar and even Numbers and a Sky Blue Away Shirt and made an effort to refer to us as "The Heart/The Hearts" but they didn't and in fact its been more bad than good with this stuff.

The club's crest and away kit are not good enough concessions for me... Esp that fucken crap Red and White Photoshop thing they wore instead of Stripes.

I really wanted to leave the house so I went and saw them play in the FFA match they lost at AAMI a month or so ago, (TBH if I did not leave ten minutes away I would not of gone anyway) anyway I got there and they wete wearing Navy at home... they went out of their way to go past the Sky Blue (as their was no kit clash) and wear not Red and White but Navy. With all the cash and world class facilities they didn't even fucken win either.

When I was Heart fan I used to get pretty annoyed at Supporters who would value Derby wins over the Side making Finals, but honestly these days I care so little about City that my number want in the A-League is for MV to lose all their matches rather than City to win all their matches. My involvement with City now despite when catching up with mates from my Heart Days is usually to look at the A-League App on my Phone to see if they won.

TBH I wish Heart had been booted and become a NPL side and City had simply replaced them without the myth of being the same club. I think a lot of PPL I know would chose to go watch a Non Ethnic Melbourne Heart for $15 or a Membership for $50 at the Olympic Village where beer and food are a reasonable price and u can even smoke (Lol - Or even smoke a joint if you wish) at the back of the Grandstand.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

...is it possible that Jeff might've genuinely suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome and The Wiggles just worked around it?

I was thinking about it while out with friends for lunch this afternoon, they asked me if I had something on my mind. I did indeed.

You don't post on here enough.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I wonder why MJ being a pedo is now a big thing. There is nothing new here, everyone knew what he was unless they're an idiot or a lier. I can't tell you why he never got the hate he deserved previously, probably too big a star back then and then he died and that was that, but this whole new media frenzy all of a sudden because of some doco is just bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

I wonder why MJ being a pedo is now a big thing. There is nothing new here, everyone knew what he was unless they're an idiot or a lier. I can't tell you why he never got the hate he deserved previously, probably too big a star back then and then he died and that was that, but this whole new media frenzy all of a sudden because of some doco is just bizarre.

But he isn’t/wasn’t?...

Edited by hakz7

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

More likely legal ramifications (their parents did sign contracts) and the kids are now adults. As well as the fact that around the world the institutions are being publicly shamed.

On 12/03/2019 at 0:38 AM, Tesla said:

Tearing down an idol is as bad as worshipping it in the first place.

Sacrifice never actually causes the rain.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder...whether the proponents of moving to electric ("zero-emission") vehicles have actually done a complete life-cycle analysis of the the proposal, including the manufacture, replacement and then disposal of the batteries themselves, and the charging and re-charging thereof? Batteries are rather inefficient devices.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...whether the proponents of moving to electric ("zero-emission") vehicles have actually done a complete life-cycle analysis of the the proposal, including the manufacture, replacement and then disposal of the batteries themselves, and the charging and re-charging thereof? Batteries are rather inefficient devices.

Yea thats the challenge. All automotive manufacturers can produce really good electric cars right now if they wanted to, but its the battery technology (the one thing they aren't good at) which holds them back.

See the issues that the Toyota Prius had with batteries when it first was produced to market.

Ideally you would have a battery that can stay charged for a long time, and not have to be replaced. Pretty much electric cars are not the answer until they can match IC engines in distance and longevity. Governments are crazy to try and stop IC engine sales in 2030.

• Like 1

Studies have shown batteries are not only inefficient but worse for the environment in terms of waste. The rebuttal to that though is "batteries will improve in time", which of course is true but the problem is most people don't even know the negative environmental effects. Why would a mega corporation spend money on R and D when the PR is already sorted?

Now every car company is making an EV even though TESLA is basically going broke. Tax payers have made the electric vehicle possible and every car company on the planet wants a piece of the tax pie. Of course there are many benefits to direct torque control, mainly safety and automation but I never hear anything about that, its all about "Zero Emissions". That phrase is fast becoming the biggest oxymoron in modern human history.

EDIT: @haz good point, this whole stop IC engines by *insert date* smells so fkn fishy. Before you can replace something you better have a far superior solution or yawl can go fuck yawl selves. Ladies and Gents (and 72 other genders) NWO is in full swing.

Edited by HeartFc

9 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

EDIT: @haz good point, this whole stop IC engines by *insert date* smells so fkn fishy. Before you can replace something you better have a far superior solution or yawl can go fuck yawl selves. Ladies and Gents (and 72 other genders) NWO is in full swing.

Auto, motive industry is my field. And trust me, all these companies producing electric vehicles is just for innovation and PR. They don't plan on stopping producing IC engines anytime soon. (Considering USA, China, India etc, wont stop buying IC engine cars anytime soon either).

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...how on earth you can spend $150m on a feasibility study (Victorian Government, Geelong-Melbourne "fast rail" proposal)?

If it's just consultants, that's 350+ years of man hours at a generous $2000 a day.

100 people for 3.5 years?

Not sure what other costs are involved aside from people time on something like this.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, jw1739 said:

I wonder...how on earth you can spend $150m on a feasibility study (Victorian Government, Geelong-Melbourne "fast rail" proposal)?

Made some inquiries regarding this. There is not much publicly available about the process but my speculation is as follows:

There will be a reference request for proposal followed by a reference request for tender. Depending on what "fast rail" means (150Km/Hr or >230 Km/Hr) the geology design will consume a large part of the budget and approximately about $30M for rail engineering. If its electric then that figure will increase to about $45M. There will be a steering organisation as well as suppliers, who would be compensated, for putting the RFP/RFT.  Finally, anywhere between 30% to 60% will be allocated for risk management. What that means is that you either pay more upfront for a detail analysis/design and decrease risk or you pay less up front but incur variation costs when things don't work out sweetly. For example soil analysis along the track can be taken at 1km points all the way down to 50m distances (not to mention depths); choose teh former then run teh risk of boulder removals that have been missed. Details have not been made publicly available yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder...why we don't at least try the "turn left on a red if safe to do so" - the left-hand equivalent of the USA "turn right on a red if safe to do so"?

It's bloody frustrating to sit there on a red waiting for a full sequence of traffic lights waiting for a simple left turn.

Also at night I reckon the lights should default to the "green on the major road" setting. It's so annoying to sit there on virtually empty roads waiting for the lights to go through a full sequence.

So much time and fuel wasted if you add it all up.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder...why we don't at least try the "turn left on a red if safe to do so" - the left-hand equivalent of the USA "turn right on a red if safe to do so"?

It's bloody frustrating to sit there on a red waiting for a full sequence of traffic lights waiting for a simple left turn.

Also at night I reckon the lights should default to the "green on the major road" setting. It's so annoying to sit there on virtually empty roads waiting for the lights to go through a full sequence.

So much time and fuel wasted if you add it all up.

I thought that they were. The only times I have come across your situation was when there are two arterial roads which carry an equal volume of traffic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I thought that they were. The only times I have come across your situation was when there are two arterial roads which carry an equal volume of traffic.

Yeah that's definitely the default after midnight (not sure exact time but think it's midnight). Main road has green until sensor on side road is triggered, or sensor for turning from main road.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

I wonder if all of the people celebrating Trump getting impeached understand how the process works and realise that this doesn’t mean he’s definitely losing the presidency and will probably just strengthen the likelihood of him being re-elected? :hmm:

I wonder how many people actually understand how any part of American politics works?

But just tell me, just WTF of his promises has Trump actually delivered? After that, just tell me WTF of his policies - if he has any - has and will ScoMo deliver?

No surprise to me that people everywhere are so pissed off with politicians.

Could be more 4D chess from Trump.

Democraps take the bait, impeach, go to trial and hope for a miracle removal. Gets thrown out, makes em look even worse, Landslide to Trump. Trump puts the democraps on trial for treason, spaceforce invades Jupiter and The Donald goes down as the greatest president in US history. 

Edited by HeartFc
dyslexia
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Could be more 4D chess from Trump.

Democraps take the bait, impeach, go to trial and hope for a miracle removal. Gets throw out, makes em look even worse, Landslide to Trump. Trump puts the democraps on trial for treason, spaceforce invades Jupiter and The Donald goes down as the greatest president in US history. 

I just want milk that tastes like real milk

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I wonder...why in almost every case I've never heard of the person that the media slobbers over when they die?

Although I knew who Kobe Bryant was, I have teh same question. I also remember when Michael Jordan revealed he had AIDS - the young blokes in the office were close to tears. WTF???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Although I knew who Kobe Bryant was, I have teh same question. I also remember when Michael Jordan revealed he had AIDS - the young blokes in the office were close to tears. WTF???

Michael Jordan has aids?? You're not thinking of Magic Johnson are you?

TBH the three US firefighters that died in that plane crash deserve much more attention.

• Like 3

On 27/01/2020 at 7:03 PM, NewConvert said:

Although I knew who Kobe Bryant was, I have teh same question. 

With you.
To be honest the recent death of Greedy Smith struck me so much harder. 
I guess it comes down to your interests and life experiences and I’m just not interested in basketball in really any way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder....whether the  government is using distraction tactics and is being over-alarmist about coronavirus? My (I admit limited) reading about it is that to say that it is spreading in Australia is an overstatement and that most of the so-called new cases can actually be traced back to the person's country of origin before entering Australia.

I wonder....whether the  government is using distraction tactics and is being over-alarmist about coronavirus? My (I admit limited) reading about it is that to say that it is spreading in Australia is an overstatement and that most of the so-called new cases can actually be traced back to the person's country of origin before entering Australia.

I am in the same camp although not to the point in saying that it is a deliberate tactic. Thinking that so many governments around the world are behaving the same way I tend to think that perhaps the probability of a pandemic is much larger than say influenza. What bothers me is that within the 20-50 year old age bracket they may show little by the way of symptoms but they can certainly contaminate others. This is the scary bit as the first Italian to have died from it was an elderly man who had never been to China, live in a small town which was not on teh tourist trail. Hence how did he get it? That is the scary bit.