Melbourne Football

Josh Rose

The Seagull

7 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Well, because it indicates that he has averaged over 27 first team games per season for six years in a row, when the A-League regular season goes for 27 games.

He made 24 first team appearances last year, including 23 A-League matches. Only one player played more games for the Mariners last year. He must be the luckiest second choice player in the history of the A-League.

Who cares the mariners are a shit team and probably conceded the most goals in league history last season 

On 16/10/2016 at 9:56 PM, Tesla said:

I'd like to hear from all the people suggesting we signed another Walker or Mitchinson instead.

That'd be me. I must admit the spray the "youth policy" gets on this forum neglects context or history. 

From memory the greatest shout-out for youth was during the glorious Aloisi 19 games in a row without out a win where experienced professionals were playing like shit and not being punished. A cancer to our culture I honesty think we're still paying for. Try some youth? Why not? Mitchinson amd Walker may not have worked out, but I'd rather try a kid and give him an chance to replace an underperforming senior player for two reasons. 1.  Could it get any worse? 2. Take a chance to discover a 10 season player who will bust his gut and play for the shirt. Diamonds in the rough are out there.  The cry for youth was only occurring when the L and D column on the table was in overdrive.  

With Josh Rose, I'm more than comfortable to try a kid who has a semblance of pace, can hit a pass back to his keeper, doesn't jump on social media to apologise (are we to expect the same tweet again today?), who hasn't come from an underperforming team shipping truckloads of goals and who looks like he gives a shit. Who knows, it might just work out.............. but the old adage of trying the same thing expecting a different result springs to mind. 

• Like 3

I think it would actually be better to play him at LB which is his natural position. He is a victim of th back 3 being over extended on the counter. I think both Rose and Muscat would be much better knowing there are 2 imposing CBs between them because with Rose, Jakobsen, Kilkenny and Muscat as the defensive line, we are way too weak and short, and are weak in the DM area as a result as Kilkenny drops deep. It's all too structurally unbalanced on an opponent's counter transition for my liking. Rose look comfortable running the line and is good defensively tracking back and blocking the wide supply lanes and does it effectively.

11 hours ago, playmaker said:

I think it would actually be better to play him at LB which is his natural position. He is a victim of th back 3 being over extended on the counter. I think both Rose and Muscat would be much better knowing there are 2 imposing CBs between them because with Rose, Jakobsen, Kilkenny and Muscat as the defensive line, we are way too weak and short, and are weak in the DM area as a result as Kilkenny drops deep. It's all too structurally unbalanced on an opponent's counter transition for my liking. Rose look comfortable running the line and is good defensively tracking back and blocking the wide supply lanes and does it effectively.

Makes sense what you say and I'd agree that setting up so he plays to his strengths would be better. But all three goals we copped he played a part in, both small and large, due to errors of judgement or skill. First goal he lost his man, second one he lost his man and then was weak in the air and the third was a complete blunder. I'm not bashing on him for the fun of it. I'm just surprised that someone with his experience is making those types of errors. I doubt we're going to change our formation so I really hope he picks up. If we can cut out these errors we wont have a problem against any team. 

I found it strange that Rose and Muscat were being told to play so advanced on Friday night. Often left us with just Jakobsen at the back who would then have to deal with both Keogh and Castro. Obv none of the goals we conceded were due to it but that to me looked a bigger issue long term than conceding a couple of scrappy goals.

My opinion on Rose was much the same as the first game for mine albeit he wasnt anywhere near as good, still fairly decent defensively but made a shocking brain fade that ultimately cost us at least a point.
Could probably argue he was at fault for the first goal but tbh i reckon thats just a pretty good set piece.

2nd goal squarely on Bouzanis and the 3rd on Rose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2016 at 11:50 AM, jeffplz said:

this fucking lady says the same thing every single match since the 14/15 season. ear piercing. i never not notice it

Yep, every game, for every team, it's horrible.

He is not the best, but he can't be blamed for what happened tonight.

• Like 1

I was furious after that goal. I had to leave the house for a bit!

Why did he not slide to stop the goal!??!

He may not have got it, but it's inexcusable. He maybe didnt have a chance, but at least humour me with a fuckin effort!

I'm on the mugabe media lockdown until Thursday. Can't deal reading anything to do with this game.

• Like 2

watching the behind the goal angle last night - Rose 100% stops that if he slides. McLaren, who had a shocker btw, only had about a foot to play with and snuck it in by an inch.

However, there is half a chance that if Rose slides Mclaren cuts back in and scores anyway, but Rose had to show desperation there. It was a horrible effort.

How the fuck does Shane Cansdell-Sherriff play on a regular basis for Burton Albion as they get promoted to the Championship last season and end up at Manly Utd in the NPL, while Josh Rose loses his place at left back for the wooden spooners in the A-League and he becomes a regular starter for a team that is considered amongst the favourites for the A-League title.  The recycling of Australian players in this league is farcical at time.

• Like 2

He is playing CB/LWB hybrid position. He hasn't got the skill to play this. He is more than competent in a LB role if there was 4 back and his role was just to run the line.

Another case of JVS's playing people out of position.

He is way too stretched when Kilkenny is slow to drop in and he is expected to do things that he has not developed.

He need to be replaced with a CB if JVS continues with these tactics.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

He is playing CB/LWB hybrid position. He hasn't got the skill to play this. He is more than competent in a LB role if there was 4 back and his role was just to run the line.

Another case of JVS's playing people out of position.

He is way too stretched when Kilkenny is slow to drop in and he is expected to do things that he has not developed.

He need to be replaced with a CB if JVS continues with these tactics.

I'd agree with this if the majority of screw ups havent been irrespective of position. Position won't change whether you can complete a back pass, header or at least slide in to stop a goal from happening. 

43 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'd agree with this if the majority of screw ups havent been irrespective of position. Position won't change whether you can complete a back pass, header or at least slide in to stop a goal from happening. 

Agree, he is a one dimensional player. He looks very comfortable in the LB position and has owned that space in the games he has played and beaten opponents in that space. Take him away from it and he is hopeless. If JVS wanted versatility, he chose the wrong player.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would congratulate Josh on a really good shift in our last game. Though he owned the left side and was responsible for some good forward thrust and crosses. He linked up well with Colazo and came inside a few time to pose scoring threats, it's a shame he can't shoot.

Anyway solid game with a few errors but no more than anyone else.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Just thought I would congratulate Josh on a really good shift in our last game. Though he owned the left side and was responsible for some good forward thrust and crosses. He linked up well with Colazo and came inside a few time to pose scoring threats, it's a shame he can't shoot.

Anyway solid game with a few errors but no more than anyone else.

Can't agree. Poor in the second half. First instinct to pass the ball backwards.

• Like 6

He is "Calamity Rose". Still running now to try and catch the Adelaide guy who scored the winner. His best performances result in an average, nondescript game but always chimes in with a couple of calamities. Shit cunt. Fuck him off. Colazo has been next to fucking useless lately further up the field so just play him at left back, send Rose to the NPL Division 2 and move on.     

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dr lime said:

He is "Calamity Rose". Still running now to try and catch the Adelaide guy who scored the winner. His best performances result in an average, nondescript game but always chimes in with a couple of calamities. Shit cunt. Fuck him off. Colazo has been next to fucking useless lately further up the field so just play him at left back, send Rose to the NPL Division 2 and move on.     

to be fair, a few times Colazo was wide open on the wing and our friend Josh couldn't hit him with the simplest of passes. 

Colazo also walked around the keeper and scored a brilliant goal which was incorrectly judged offside

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Scapegoat.

Colazo, Cahill, Brattan and Franjic all worse last night.

There's no denying that Rose is easily the weakest link in our starting line up. However in saying that I do agree with most of what you've said:

- Colazo being worse. Marquee player should be much better and more effective.

- Cahill. Most expensive player in the league that could never get into the game or get on the ball for that matter.

- Brattan by his standards is well below par. His performance isn't worse than Rose but he is underperforming so much and should be judged by what we know he can bring. It seems our tactics were just as much to blame for his sterile performance as him last night.

- Franjic has been performing ridiculously well and deserved a slight bit of leeway. I wouldn't say he performed worse than Rose though.