Melbourne Football

Josh Rose

The Seagull

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Watch him smash this year. It will be painful. 

Goodwin x2

I would have retained him as well on the basis of getting an injury free run, but clearly Sydney wanted to offer him more cash than we were prepared to, and im more than ok with that.

If he was coming from Sydney to us, this forum would be in meltdown over signing an injury prone player so yeh not that fussed.

With all due respect, imo he isnt half the player Goodwin is.

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I would have retained him as well on the basis of getting an injury free run, but clearly Sydney wanted to offer him more cash than we were prepared to, and im more than ok with that.

If he was coming from Sydney to us, this forum would be in meltdown over signing an injury prone player so yeh not that fussed.

With all due respect, imo he isnt half the player Goodwin is.

Agree with both points.

My point was that it pains me seeing decent past players performing consistently well at new clubs.

But with the way the league is structured every season atleast half every teams players switch clubs so it's inevitable that some improve and some don't.  

And some just do better in a different team. Different tactics, different formation, new team mates, new start in a new atmosphere.  Every year clubs sign players who were mediocre or unknown elsewhere, or who have had a bad run of form.  And many of them come good.  This guy can be excellent, and maybe all he needs is a change of scenery to recover that?

From what I've seen in all those video's that the club posts. They are trying to instill a professional environment within the club, so when you come to work, you know what the expectations are. For one, everyone is in uniform! 

Some people thrive in this environment, others find it tedious. I just hope that the people we target and lure are the people that thrive, including Mr. Rose..

Good signing and capable defender to block supply from the wing. Overall our wings have been defensively bolstered so hopefully won't get our arses handed to us down the left side like last season's Zullo weakness. Now for a CB and we are ready for a 16/17 onslaught.

BTW, he looks like the assassin (The Asset) out of the current Bourne movie.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, R410 said:

Do not want this Nicholas Cage looking spastic. He was good about 5 years ago, has been rubbish ever since.

Out of interest, what other Australian left back was available and willing to sign for fuck all salary?

18 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Out of interest, what other Australian left back was available and willing to sign for fuck all salary?

would rather give a young kid a chance, at least there is hope they can develop into something.

As far as i am concerned Rose is a ship that sailed a long time ago.

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

He'll play anywhere you want him to

"Hello Melbourne victory
FC my name is augustine sokan i come Ivory Coast
i'm in Australia I will like to play for Melbourne victory one day in my life. now i'm playing in Victoria melbourne with
Whittlesea ranges FC
This is m...y email Augustine_ sokan@homail.com I love Melbourne victory so much I will like to play Melbourne victory
Thanks you for reading this god bless you I live in Victoria 1/2 gordon street Lalor 3075
Thank you love you Melbourne victory"

What a fucking turncoat. Josh Rose would never do that.

Edited by bt50

5 minutes ago, R410 said:

would rather give a young kid a chance, at least there is hope they can develop into something.

As far as i am concerned Rose is a ship that sailed a long time ago.

Why? So we can have a worse player than Rose this season and then next season or the one after he signs for Adelaide United for more money and/or game time?

I'd rather just have the better player right now, and it's unlikely that would be an untested youngster.

1 year deal for Rose, and then see what's available next off season. As I've said before, the rules of the league remove a lot of the incentive to developing youth.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Just now, bt50 said:

"Hello Melbourne victory
FC my name is augustine sokan i come Ivory Coast
i'm in Australia I will like to play for Melbourne victory one day in my life. now i'm playing in Victoria melbourne with
Whittlesea ranges FC
This is m...y email Augustine_ sokan@homail.com I love Melbourne victory so much I will like to play Melbourne victory
Thanks you for reading this god bless you I live in Victoria 1/2 gordon street Lalor 3075
Thank you love you Melbourne victory"

What a fucking turncoat. Josh Rose would never do that.

When was that posted though?

2 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Why? So we can have a worse player than Rose this season and then next season or the one after he signs for Adelaide United for more money and/or game time?

I'd rather just have the better player right now, and it's unlikely that would be an untested youngster.

Plenty of youth in the yoof team. We need to sign senior (men) not some boys. If any of the kids are any good they'll get a crack. 

Not sure Rose is the answer, but if he is backup to Clisby then we could have a few lol this year.

Not sure I'm buying into the whole 'no good aussie LBs' story being thrown around here.

We have Zullo to replace. Probably on decent coin given he came from Europe. Why do we then go for a 34 year old bargain basement special from the worst team in the league? The answer is probably that we have used up too much of the salary cap on midfielders, which is poor list management imo.

The reality is we have gone from rumours of Tarek Elrich to signing Josh fucking Rose. Surely you can see why people are disappointed.

Josh will be 35 years old in December, as a birthday present he'll probably get to play his first game after missing the first half of the season with calf strains.

12 minutes ago, loriente said:

Not sure I'm buying into the whole 'no good aussie LBs' story being thrown around here.

We have Zullo to replace. Probably on decent coin given he came from Europe. Why do we then go for a 34 year old bargain basement special from the worst team in the league? The answer is probably that we have used up too much of the salary cap on midfielders, which is poor list management imo.

The reality is we have gone from rumours of Tarek Elrich to signing Josh fucking Rose. Surely you can see why people are disappointed.

Josh will be 35 years old in December, as a birthday present he'll probably get to play his first game after missing the first half of the season with calf strains.

I get what you're saying, but look at a lot of the A League champions in the past: full backs are essentially the least important position in the league. Brisbane were dominant with Stefanutto there ffs. Just get someone who can do a job.
You can mention poor list management, but you'll feel the pinch a hell of a lot more if you're caught out short in midfield than at fullback. A strong midfield is like creating a preventative drug rather than dealing with the disease once you've got it. We have quality to burn in the midfield, a trait that has been evident in just about every Premier in the A League's history.

On face value we have two more signings to make; a visa who will probably take up the remainder of our cap (however much that is, no-one here knows) and who imo will be much more important than whoever plays at full back, and a marquee, which is irrelevant to cap terms. It’s likely that one of those will be a CB and one a CAM/Winger, all of which will be much more important roles than LB.

The ultimate truth will be, assuming our last two signings are as above, if we don’t win the league it will be solely on the incompetence of the manager, and nothing to do with what is obviously as good a squad as you’ll get in a salary capped A League.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, loriente said:

It's not a question just of "good aussie LBs." It's also a matter of the salary cap. I don't know much about Josh Rose, but I do know that I don't share all this sudden enthusiasm for the departed Michael Zullo. He made it quite clear that he was only interested in using us as a stepping-stone back to Europe, and he could only manage 950 minutes for us, missing eleven league matches and two finals matches - another dud signing IMO.

As has been pointed out many times not every player in the squad can be on $300k+. Players such as Muscat and Rose who can do a sound if unspectacular job on the pitch every week and don't have delusions as aspirations are a necessary part of every A-League squad.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I get what you're saying, but look at a lot of the A League champions in the past: full backs are essentially the least important position in the league. Brisbane were dominant with Stefanutto there ffs. Just get someone who can do a job.
You can mention poor list management, but you'll feel the pinch a hell of a lot more if you're caught out short in midfield than at fullback. A strong midfield is like creating a preventative drug rather than dealing with the disease once you've got it. We have quality to burn in the midfield, a trait that has been evident in just about every Premier in the A League's history.

On face value we have two more signings to make; a visa who will probably take up the remainder of our cap (however much that is, no-one here knows) and who imo will be much more important than whoever plays at full back, and a marquee, which is irrelevant to cap terms. It’s likely that one of those will be a CB and one a CAM/Winger, all of which will be much more important roles than LB.

The ultimate truth will be, assuming our last two signings are as above, if we don’t win the league it will be solely on the incompetence of the manager, and nothing to do with what is obviously as good a squad as you’ll get in a salary capped A League.

I know you are more less refuting my argument but I agree with pretty much everything that you said and still stand by my point. We don't need a world beater at LB but we do need someone serviceable - I don't really rate Josh Rose anymore and Clisby is inconsistent at everything except being out of position.

We have Malik, Retre, Melling, Brattan, Brendan, Caceres (and probably Cahill!) for midfield depth which is absolutely absurd and we could surely shed a player there and gain an extra $100-200k to get a decent starting 11 A-League full back. The top two sides last year were Adelaide and WSW - downplay the importance of fullbacks all you want (I don't necessarily agree, particularly with JVS's suicidal style of play) but these two sides have similar playing styles to us and had very decent fullbacks - Shannon Cole, Scott Jamieson, Scott Neville, Michael Marrone, Craig Goodwin, Tarek Elrich - these blokes are well and truly a cut above both Clisby and Rose and probably Manny Muscat.

I had no real issues letting Zullo go if we could go and find a player of similar footballing ability and a much better injury record but this is a step down IMO even considering Zullo's inability to get on the pitch. I hope he proves me wrong but Rose is well and truly past it.

10 minutes ago, loriente said:

I know you are more less refuting my argument but I agree with pretty much everything that you said and still stand by my point. We don't need a world beater at LB but we do need someone serviceable - I don't really rate Josh Rose anymore and Clisby is inconsistent at everything except being out of position.

We have Malik, Retre, Melling, Brattan, Brendan, Caceres (and probably Cahill!) for midfield depth which is absolutely absurd and we could surely shed a player there and gain an extra $100-200k to get a decent starting 11 A-League full back. The top two sides last year were Adelaide and WSW - downplay the importance of fullbacks all you want (I don't necessarily agree, particularly with JVS's suicidal style of play) but these two sides have similar playing styles to us and had very decent fullbacks - Shannon Cole, Scott Jamieson, Scott Neville, Michael Marrone, Craig Goodwin, Tarek Elrich - these blokes are well and truly a cut above both Clisby and Rose and probably Manny Muscat.

I had no real issues letting Zullo go if we could go and find a player of similar footballing ability and a much better injury record but this is a step down IMO even considering Zullo's inability to get on the pitch. I hope he proves me wrong but Rose is well and truly past it.

Of the fullbacks you named i think Goodwin and Elrich are the only ones that are good, the others are more or less splitting hairs depending on the day. Again thats probably to a degree subjective i guess.
FWIW Brattan and Caceras im somewhat condient are setup so that its something close to minimum wage; im not sure how exactly it works but they're defnitely using some sort of loophole to get them in under the cap to this extent.

Anyways, onwards and upwards. Lets hope those two remaining signings blow everyones socks off.

19 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

The obsession with youth on this forum is so bloody annoying. This is real life, not FIFA or Football Manager. Youth players don't just magically come good by throwing them into the national first division. Is Josh Rose the best signing we have ever made? Probably not, but at the end of the day, he's an experienced A League quality defender who probably isn't on much coin, and doesn't use up a visa spot. And as several others have mentioned, there aren't exactly many A League quality LBs in the country at the minute, but throwing some kid into the lineup wont solve that.

Sorry but Football Manager doesn't work like that, it's a highly advanced simulation.

Don't really play FIFA, but pretty sure even a basic simulation like FIFA still is more advanced than the "herp derp #yoof play game get stronk win A-League" mentality of the forum.

• Like 1

Just now, Tesla said:

Sorry but Football Manager doesn't work like that, it's a highly advanced simulation.

Don't really play FIFA, but pretty sure even a basic simulation like FIFA still is more advanced than the "herp derp #yoof play game get stronk win A-League" mentality of the forum.

To be fair FIFA's not far off that which is normally why I stick to FM, which like you say, is a highly advanced Simulation. FIFA has also lead to the "herp derp #pace" obsession we see in many football fans today; "he's slow so he's shit".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Never truer words have been spoken. Football Manager in punishing on youth players.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Yeah just threw in FM as another example tbh. But yes FIFA is actually like that. Sign youth players, win Champions League as Barnet