Melbourne Football

Week 21: Melbourne v Cental Coast Mariners - Feb 26 - 5pm

Hammerhead

Guys you gotta remember something...

Goodwin is best LW we have, but while Behich was away, he was also our best LB. With Behich back, I'd drop Worm moving Goodwin to LW and Behich into LB.

Seeing Marrone/Dugandzic and Behich/Goodwin wing combinations would be JIZZ worthy!

I like this.

Imo Behich LB, Goodwin LW, only because Goodwin looks more dangerous on goal.

Maybe they could even rotate depending on the game situation.

I get what you mean about Behich struggling with shooting but he also is very adept at setting up goals. I also think Goodwin is more of a natural defender. Definitely believe rotating is an option. Goodwin/Behich + Marrone/Dugandzic= me happy.

Strong Goodwin fanboys already. Settle down chaps. His good, but let not forget who our best player was before the olyroos callup, or what terra can do when he is playing well. Leave Goodwin on the bench, Terra on LW, behich at left back, then since we pretty much always being off a winger, bring off terra and move Behich to LW, and Goodwin at LB.

My preference for Behich at LW is because he is fantastic at getting past players.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

IMO Goodwin will probably be a better LB back than Behich, however he is going to get to that point where the adrenaline runs out and he might plateau for a while when he starts thinking more when out on field rather than just playing his natural game.

Of course we are also yet to set if he will beat the fatigue hurdle at playing at a higher level, if such a Hurdle did not exist Kalmar for example could of been a undisputed star by now.

The most exciting thing about Goodwin is the potential damage he can cause when he moves up the ground, he has uncanny knack for finding himself in dangerous positions unmarked for crossing and shooting opportunities.

Hold on guys, GCU is leading at half time 2-1 against CCM, Ben Holaran with a great goal, I believe there is still faith in GCU and might prove themselves they wont fold yet, Griffiths copped a yellow (consecutively) and so he would be suspended from the heart game. If GCU wins this, then it would be a massive LOL and a huge advantage for us (mentally) in our future game against CCM.

• Like 1

Yes it puts a bit more perspective on our performance:) Mulvey is a good coach, he has a good idea of how he wants the team to play and can convey that well, GC were disciplined and retained their shape well until about 65 mins when they got tired. CCM did in 3 mins what took us 80 mins but we kept a clean sheet at least:)

CCM certainly look beatable

Melbourne Heart squad:

1. Clint Bolton (GK), 2. Michael Marrone, 3. Brendan Hamill, 4. Simon Colosimo, 5. Fred ©, 6. Matt Thompson, 7. Rutger Worm, 10. Wayne Srhoj, 11. Alex Terra, 13. Jonathan Germano, 15. David Williams, 16. Aziz Behich, 17. Jason Hoffman, 18. Curtis Good, 19. Eli Babalj, 23. Mate Dugandzic, 26. Paul Reid, 27. Craig Goodwin, 30. Sebastian Mattei (GK)

*four to be omitted*

My take:

----------------------------------------------------------------Eli Babalj----------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Terra-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Mate Dugandzic

---------------------------------------Fred ©----------------------------------------------Matt Thompson--------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------Wayne Shroj---------------------------------------------------------------

Aziz Behich----------------------------Curtis Good--------------Simon Colosimo--------------------------Michael Marrone

------------------------------------------------------------Clint Bolton----------------------------------------------------------------

Subs -

Sebastian Mattei (GK)

Jonathan Germano

David Williams

Craig Goodwin

Omitted - Brendan Hamill, Rutger Worm, Jason Hoffman & Paul Reid

EDIT - I believe this is our strongest XI based on this season's performances.

Edited by MaliMate
  • Like 1

colosimo will be omitted from the squad and hamill re-instated. i like colosimo, but JVS doesn't. We need a mature CB who can lead and organise the back, but.....

also think Goodwin will start instead of Behich. Behich to come off bench. remember olyroos boys have been away for several weeks, don't think they'll make a big impact particularly without solid training with team mates. hope i'm wrong. worm has been good, but a little inconsistent. williams seems to be improving...perhaps starting him as a striker instead of babalj!

They have been gone for 3 weeks, Duganzic to start but not 100% sure if Behich will. Colosimo will start with Good IMO not sure if Hamill will even make the bench (Germano Behich Sarkies/Williams?) Thompson will start but doubt he will play 90.

HOPE we start like this...

--------------------Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Good Goodwin

----------------------Shroj

--------Thompson ---------Fred

Duganzic --------------------------Behich

---------------------Babalj

I hope JVS starts and plays Williams. IMO (with fingers crossed) he is not far away from coming into form and once this happens he has the potential to be lethal during finals (if we make it...again fingers crossed).

I just got through wacthing the replay of the Gold Coast game and he was involved in pretty much every one of our scoring oppurtunities, inlcuding the goal. On that game, I think it was actually the perfect tonic for our team as Gold Coast were well organised, had a good game plan, were dangerous on the break, most of their players were playing under their regular coach, AND were they were really difficult to break down. Although the game was nothing to write home about the 1-0 win was a really good result as it could have so easily been a draw or even a loss (think back to Brisbane's draw when MV parked the bus).

Back on Williams, I hope that JVS tinkers with our structure a little so that Williams and Babalj can form an eventual and ongoing partnership up front. As such, my starting 11 would be:

-----------------------------Bolton-------------------------------

Goodwin-----Hamill----------Colossimo---------Marrone

---------------------------- Shroj------------------------------

-----------Germano-------------------------Dugandzic-----

------------------------------Fred-------------------------------

--------------------Williams-----Babalj--------------------------

Bench - Thompson, Behich and Good, with Thompson (impact sub) to come on for Dugandzic, with the team to revert to normal formation (Williams to drop into RW), Germano for Behich (impact sub) and Good as defensive cover or as a sub for Shroj if he gets tired.

ALSO, well done to Yarraside for their chanting efforts during the second half of the Gold Coast game. At the ground it was very impressive, and on the TV it came through loud and clear. You guys 100% helped the team win that night...keep it up against the Mariners, we just gotta chalk up a win against them!

Compiling a list of all the people putting Behich on the bench, so I know whose posts to disregard in the future.

He was our best player at the time of leaving for Olyroos duty, and a while before that, ever since Dugandzic fell off after the first several games of the season.

With Dugandzic and Behich back we should have no trouble disposing of the Mariners.

Edited by Tesla

Compiling a list of all the people putting Behich on the bench, so I know whose posts to disregard in the future.

He was our best player at the time of leaving for Olyroos duty, and a while before that, ever since Dugandzic fell off after the first several games of the season.

With Dugandzic and Behich back we should have no trouble disposing of the Mariners.

If Behich and Dugandzic are fully fit and fresh from their travels I would start them both.....logic dictates that they may not be and Behich is an awesome player and has shown to be very effective on the wing late in the game....

If Dugandzic isnt fit enough to start, thoughts on Behich on right wing? Probably maximises his attributes in all honesty, since he is great at getting past players but not so great at crossing. Would like to see it happen. Even if Dugandzic is fit, Dugandzic on left wing, behich on right, babalj holding shit up at CF. Dugandzic and Behich cutting in and walking through the opposition defence, one twos with Babalj, hattrick each. Gets me hard just thinking about it.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1