Melbourne Football

English Premier League

hakz7

9 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Wonder when they'll start having capped attendances as they do in the Bundesliga atm 

The Brits have about the same success with the virus as the Americans are having - just a smaller population that's all. Lurching from one deep crisis to the next even deeper one, with poor leadership. Doubt it will be anytime soon.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I saw a young Australian named Watts came off the bench for Southampton this morning.

Anyone know anything about him? @jw1739 perhaps?

update:

commentator referred to him as “a playmaker”. Was in the Aus u17 World Cup (or qualifiers) in 2019, scored a goal.

@Shahanga Born in England to an Australian father. Aged 19. Eligible to play for England and Australia. IIRC under-age representative selections don't bind a player who has dual representative status. He has a Twitter page and there are a few images there.

• Like 1

Well assuming he stays Australian, I’m guessing the last Aussie his age to get on the field at EPL level would be Harry Kewell.  

I know we’ve had quite a few at academies or on the books etc (Curtis Good for one), but I can’t think of one who played at that age. Worth keeping an eye on for that reason alone.

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well assuming he stays Australian, I’m guessing the last Aussie his age to get on the field at EPL level would be Harry Kewell.  

I know we’ve had quite a few at academies or on the books etc (Curtis Good for one), but I can’t think of one who played at that age. Worth keeping an eye on for that reason alone.

Actually, the last young Australian to play in the Premier League now plays for us, Aiden O'Neill.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Congratulations to our big brothers,

Big achievement considering they were 12 or 13th after first 10 or so games.

With any luck we can continue the City dominance.

idk, I see them more as our distant separated dads who only visit us on weekends

2 hours ago, Nate said:

idk, I see them more as our distant separated dads who only visit us on weekends

Maybe, some on here are pretty adamant they want nothing to do with them, but I only see as a massive positive to be associated/connected with possibly the best club side (Currently) in the world. 

FWIW I follow Spurs.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

@jw1739Burnley “tunnellers” fielding No’s 1-11 at Anfield tonight. Warms the heart.

Still can’t cope with this random number football and players with #66 and #88 just does my head in.

@Shahanga Unfortunately they didn't warm my EPL Fantasy points total and I now prop up our league! (But I do have half my players still to start in the remaining games.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another domino falls. Newcastle United sold to Middle Eastern interests (80% holding).

The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media.

Following the completion of the Premier League's Owners' and Directors' Test, the club has been sold to the consortium with immediate effect.

The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover.

All parties have agreed the settlement is necessary to end the long uncertainty for fans over the club’s ownership.

The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Another domino falls. Newcastle United sold to Middle Eastern interests (80% holding).

The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media.

Following the completion of the Premier League's Owners' and Directors' Test, the club has been sold to the consortium with immediate effect.

The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover.

All parties have agreed the settlement is necessary to end the long uncertainty for fans over the club’s ownership.

The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club.

Glorious stuff

On 08/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, jw1739 said:

Crikey. 
I’m thinking if you’re the manager you’d probably be happy if getting sacked was the worst that happened after a string of losses.

The FA reacted violently to a group of superclubs that thought about forming their own league, when in reality they have almost the same thing themselves. Playing EPL Fantasy Football has made me realise that many of the clubs, players and others involved have very little to to with England or being English at all.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting to look at the highlights of the Arsenal-Manchester City match last night (quite apart from being a life-long Arsenal fan!!). The only goal of the match was credited to Martinelli, even though the ball took a huge deflection of the head of a City defender (Ake I think).

Yet Ugarkovic's strike against Oakleigh in the Australia Cup match was credited to Arslan when it deflected off the latter's head.

In fact Ake's deflection was greater than Arslan's, so why are we crediting goals in a different manner?

On 09/10/2023 at 11:20 AM, jw1739 said:

Interesting to look at the highlights of the Arsenal-Manchester City match last night (quite apart from being a life-long Arsenal fan!!). The only goal of the match was credited to Martinelli, even though the ball took a huge deflection of the head of a City defender (Ake I think).

Yet Ugarkovic's strike against Oakleigh in the Australia Cup match was credited to Arslan when it deflected off the latter's head.

In fact Ake's deflection was greater than Arslan's, so why are we crediting goals in a different manner?

You ask questions that we mere mortals could never hope to understand.