Melbourne Football

- Round of 16 - City vs Sheep shaggers aka Wellington Phoenix Wednesday 17th August, 7.30 pm, Casey Fields VFL Oval.

MHFC-FAN

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Under Le Patron, every first ball in attacking transition was forward. There have only been one or two tonight

I really hope people start to open their eyes as this coach is taking us backwards. He’s only been successful early on with an inherited squad and favourable league circumstances.

We need open our wallet to make the best of this season, if not it’s going to be a top 4 finish.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I really hope people start to open their eyes as this coach is taking us backwards. He’s only been successful early on with an inherited squad and favourable league circumstances.

We need open our wallet to make the best of this season, if not it’s going to be a top 4 finish.

Bella Guttman’s three year rule

"The third year," the great Hungarian coach Bela Guttmann always said, "is fatal." If a manager stays at a club more than that, he said, his players tend to become bored and/or complacent and opponents start to work out counter-strategie

Edited by belaguttman

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

I doubt that we'll be anywhere near the top four.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I doubt that we'll be anywhere near the top four.

I reckon top 4 if the new recruits come in, we aren’t going to dominate as we should. We are too predictable, easy to play against, too many players go missing and most of the time we struggle to put three passes together in the forward half. 

Can see today as well why the club doesn’t think Gomulka is ready to step in for O’Neill.

Edited by Mr MO

13 minutes ago, Zanty said:

a little bit reactionary, even though its the australia cup its still pre season and only our 2nd game as whole so lets give the boys time especially with no VDV, Lam or O'Neill making appearances as of yet

Don't make excuses.

4 hours ago, Zanty said:

a little bit reactionary, even though its the australia cup its still pre season and only our 2nd game as whole so lets give the boys time especially with no VDV, Lam or O'Neill making appearances as of yet

Ah yes the exact same group as last season needs to be given time to gel!!

Certainly not making excuses, as that performance was insipid at best, but why is it that we always seem to draw A-League opposition from the round of 16 onwards?

Either way, quite concerning. Hopefully VDV and Lam can come in and provide some better structure and balance in the midfield from the get go, as we looked all over the place in the middle last night.

A shitty loss against a team that shouldn't be playing in the Australia Cup ... well that was no surprise!!  

However, if our new recruits, and best starting 11 doesn't lift our performances (despite the idiocy of our coach), then this game is a harbinger of our season to come.

Two things summed it up for me.

1 - Galloway half heartily warming up in the 80th minute, and showing zero interest or effort as he knew that he was not coming on, even though the game called for some fresh legs 

2 -  in the 4th minute of stoppage time, with the wind at our backs, we had free kick just back from the 1/2 way line ... rather than getting everyone forward for one last set piece attack via a long ball, the ball is meekly passed into midfield, then return passed back to the free kick taker ... then whistle blows ... What the actual fucking fuck?   We really are that dumb as a team in not being able to recognise that sometime a Plan B is needed!

Already starting to regret my membership renewal 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Big oof watching the game last night. It is absolutely bonkers to me that we came out with that formation with those players. Leckie and Florin are both excellent players, but playing them on top of each other led to exactly the level of coherence that was always going to happen.

At first and last season I thought Leckie could be suited to play in an AM role, he’s played there a couple of times now in the CL as well.

Something isn’t right with his ball control and vision to play there. Takes a second too long with ball control,  stumbles, doesn’t have ability to quickly turn away. It’s such a difficult position to play.

Just like JMAC he’s more a direct player and that’s causing us issues when we need to play in congested territory.

In short I rather see Leckie on the wing or up front, I’m surprised we’ve never tried him to replace JMAC at times.

• 2 weeks later...