Melbourne Football

- Round of 16 - City vs Sheep shaggers aka Wellington Phoenix Wednesday 17th August, 7.30 pm, Casey Fields VFL Oval.

MHFC-FAN

It's not really APL, it's the FA. The silly situation is that if Phoenix win either the league or the cup they are not members of the AFC and can't compete in AFC competitions. The whole thing is a bit of a dog's breakfast, and a resolution isn't likely for a while, at least for the league because we need Phoenix to have a viable 12-club competition. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It's not really APL, it's the FA. The silly situation is that if Phoenix win either the league or the cup they are not members of the AFC and can't compete in AFC competitions. The whole thing is a bit of a dog's breakfast, and a resolution isn't likely for a while, at least for the league because we need Phoenix to have a viable 12-club competition. 

Surely we can have them not participate in the "Australia Cup" given they are obviously not Australian. Playing in the league should suffice for now... 

• Like 2

• MHFC-FAN changed the title to - Round of 16 - City vs Sheep shaggers aka Wellington Phoenix Wednesday 17th August, 7.30 pm, Casey Fields VFL Oval.
21 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Surely we can have them not participate in the "Australia Cup" given they are obviously not Australian. Playing in the league should suffice for now... 

I have a soft spot for the Phoenix. They are not the root cause of this. The root cause is that FFA just had to be trendy didn't it and change its name to just Football Australia and so the FFA Cup had to become the FA Cup, but whoops-a-daisy someone else had already got that (just happens to be the oldest national football competition in the world by the way) so we had to have the Australia Cup, which for many Aussies probably sounds more like a horse race than anything else.

36 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Imagine how pleased we are in  Geelong...

Ecstatic I would imagine.

Cardiff and Swansea play in the English football league structure and the FA Cup as opposed to something Welsh, Israel and their respective football clubs play in the UEFA competitions (despite sharing land borders with the likes of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon and not another "UEFA" country).  What are people upset and/or confused about again?

My take on the game being played at Casey is that the club is a tough spot.  We are never going to sell out AAMI Park for this particular game on a weekend (never mind a cold shitty Wednesday).  That said, how do you please all your members.  And despite living 10 minutes from Casey fields, I personally would much rather go somewhere more central in Melbourne to catch up with a few mates pregame.

• Like 1

1. Likewise Berwick Rangers are in the Scottish football structure.

2. There are adequate venues such as Kingston Heath (Bentleigh Greens) which I'd say are a better compromise than Casey Fields. We don't sell out AAMI Park even for derbies now, so I suggest that's one extreme and Casey Fields is the other extreme - IMO the choice of venue should be more about the convenience for members rather than anything else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

What are people upset and/or confused about again?

Two different confederations tho... in your example all those countries are under Uefa its not like LA Galaxy playing in the EPL like it is here with Phoenix being in Oceania while participating in a AFC league 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HughJass said:

Two different confederations tho... in your example all those countries are under Uefa its not like LA Galaxy playing in the EPL like it is here with Phoenix being in Oceania while participating in a AFC league 

Phoenix are nominally based in Wellington, but the team is actually registered in Sydney so it's really an Australian-registered team playing from Wellington

16 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Phoenix are nominally based in Wellington, but the team is actually registered in Sydney so it's really an Australian-registered team playing from Wellington

Aren't we getting a bit technical here? Presumably clubs make a decision on whether to enter the Cup or not, and FFA are happy to have Phoenix participate, so what's the big problem? Presumably Phoenix are happy to win it, but they know and accept that such a win will not allow them entry to the ACL AFC Cup.

Of more interest to me is whether, if Phoenix do win it at some stage, the AFC would accept the Cup runner-up as an entrant to the ACL AFC Cup.

But my main interest is whether City are doing the right thing by their members by holding such a match at Casey Fields. I note that the club's NPL team rarely if ever play there, preferring to play at Parade College, ironically pretty much next door to the old Club HQ at Bundoora.

Edited by jw1739
Corrected as below.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Aren't we getting a bit technical here? Presumably clubs make a decision on whether to enter the Cup or not, and FFA are happy to have Phoenix participate, so what's the big problem? Presumably Phoenix are happy to win it, but they know and accept that such a win will not allow them entry to the ACL.

Of more interest to me is whether, if Phoenix do win it at some stage, the AFC would accept the Cup runner-up as an entrant to the ACL.

But my main interest is whether City are doing the right thing by their members by holding such a match at Casey Fields. I note that the club's NPL team rarely if ever play there, preferring to play at Parade College, ironically pretty much next door to the old Club HQ at Bundoora.

The winner of the Aus cups qualifies for the group stage of the AFC Cup and not the ACL... You would have to win the AFC Cup to then qualify for the following ACL or win the league to qualify for ACL group stage 

43 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

The winner of the Aus cups qualifies for the group stage of the AFC Cup and not the ACL... You would have to win the AFC Cup to then qualify for the following ACL or win the league to qualify for ACL group stage 

@MHFC-FAN Thanks. Have corrected as above!

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Christ we'll make an argument of nothing, much bigger issues with football ATM then Wellington being in the Australian cup lmao

Basically what we are saying is that if Wellington beats us again and win the cup it’s not fair.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:22 AM, jw1739 said:

And not a particularly exciting one so far either.

Well as always we would like to think that we leave it late with signings due to world class scouting system and due diligence.

I won’t be surprised if we are struggling to get good signings in due to our strict CFG budgets and or salary cap restrictions with (over)commitment to current players. Berenguer and Reis were always among the top earners and both extended in our purple patch last season.

16 minutes ago, citypool said:

I’m happy we aren’t playing at Aami the lack of people is a terrible look for the game. Western United stupid club aren’t even bothered so at least we have more pride then them 

I suspect we'll actually get a decent turnout. It was looking that way when we tried this last time. But it just won't include a lot of the loyal old guard like me...

2 hours ago, citypool said:

I’m happy we aren’t playing at Aami the lack of people is a terrible look for the game. Western United stupid club aren’t even bothered so at least we have more pride then them 

At least potential spectators know how to get to AAMI and what to expect when they are there. I'm probably stupid, but I know nothing about Casey Fields, whether there is transport from Dandenong Station, or how much parking is there, or indeed the facilities for spectators if I get there.

The problem with this competition, and this match as well, is that it isn't marketed properly. And when you see the squad we fielded up in Newcastle I wonder whether we are even treating it with the respect it deserves. The Cup is still being treated as a pre-season competition by some clubs, and that in itself gives no incentive to fans to bother to go along.

The match is a first for fans in the area and I'm sure there'll be a good turn-out from the locals. But that doesn't mean that the rest of us should be left out in the cold. There'd be a damned sight better turn-out if the rest of us were engaged as well.

Pull your bloody socks up FFA and City.

Edited by jw1739

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So did I.

which to you're point i knew nothing about Epping, or transport or parking i still drove there if you want to see them play you go to see them play, i for one am happy that its 10 minutes away compared to an hour.

8 hours ago, Bannon said:

which to you're point i knew nothing about Epping, or transport or parking i still drove there if you want to see them play you go to see them play, i for one am happy that its 10 minutes away compared to an hour.

This. 

If you want to go out and watch them go. If not don't go.

Wherever the game is played or whatever day or time it will disadvantage someone, but seriously what's the big deal. 

Me personally enjoy going to a new venue, and being our own facility I'm surprised there is so much negativity about it. 

Anyway each to their own and im pretty much going unless someone changes from my end.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

This. 

If you want to go out and watch them go. If not don't go.

Wherever the game is played or whatever day or time it will disadvantage someone, but seriously what's the big deal. 

Me personally enjoy going to a new venue, and being our own facility I'm surprised there is so much negativity about it. 

Anyway each to their own and im pretty much going unless someone changes from my end.

The negativity largely revolves around the possibility of the club moving home grounds.

This game isn't a preseason friendly it is a competitive match in which we are the home team. Therefore, it should be played at our home ground.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, malloy said:

The negativity largely revolves around the possibility of the club moving home grounds.

This game isn't a preseason friendly it is a competitive match in which we are the home team. Therefore, it should be played at our home ground.

I get that, and if, we ever do move and play home games at Casey then everyone need to decide what that actually means for them.

But i can't see us doing that.

48 minutes ago, malloy said:

Why would we play it aami to get what 3k at best may as well take it to the regions. We played Sydney in Ballarat for a FFA Cup competitive match before no difference 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

It's being played on the VFL oval... 

The Round of 16 clash will take place at the Casey Fields VFL Oval on Wednesday 17 August and is set to kick-off at 7:30pm. 

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/australia-cup-city-to-play-at-casey-fields

Edited by HughJass
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

It certainly is a personal decision on whether to go or not, as it is for every other match. It's not just another pre-season match and IMO the Cup is a competition that we should take as seriously as the league, because if we win it it leads to an AFC competition, which I long to see us play in on our own ground in front of our own fans. So I think we should be promoting the match with all we've got, and that's another factor that influences my opinion.

But as I say, each to his own.