'In or Out' The Sequel

Dylan

In or Out  

57 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out

• In
    • Out
    • I only ever came for the sausages

The FFA Board also approved a proposal from Melbourne City Football Club to refresh its brand and primary colours for the 2017/18 season to align with its global strategy under the City Football Group.

The decision was taken as part of the FFA’s united brand refresh for the Hyundai A-League and all 10 clubs, that will see the Hyundai A-League and the clubs start the 2017/18 season with a new look to signify the evolution and strength of the competition.

“The Hyundai A-League will undergo a brand refresh process as part of the 2016/19 strategy and FFA is encouraging clubs to collaborate with that process and consider their own brands,” Gallop said. “As a result, a number of clubs have indicated they will undergo some changes.

“FFA received a submission from Melbourne City and after two seasons of operating with a hybrid brand the change has been approved. The City Football Group has shown they are serious about their long term commitment to the Hyundai A-League and this will allow Melbourne City to grow in line with the global brand strategy of the City Football Group.

david-villa-celebrates-his-goal-on-debut

“The Board noted previous concerns raised by Sydney FC but felt that things have evolved since that time and with the increasing maturity of the Hyundai A-League, the strength of Sydney FC’s ‘Sky Blue’ brand and the many uses of light blue throughout previous and current Hyundai A-League playing strips it is now appropriate to allow for the full integration of the City Football Group’s playing strip colours. As part of the decision, Sydney FC will retain exclusivity of its ‘Sky Blue’ brand as Melbourne City adopts the ‘City Blue’ colours.”

With the many survey's and on-line chat's through City Voice, I thought they had started to listen to fans.
Dumb move won't bring in any new supporters, will lose a few supporters (probably not a whole lot), will decrease the support of a few and will prevent new supporters joining up.

8 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Lol was probably part of the agreement of signing Cahill

Absolutely

FFA received a submission from Melbourne City and after two seasons of operating with a hybrid brand the change has been approved. The City Football Group has shown they are serious about their long term commitment to the Hyundai A-League and this will allow Melbourne City to grow in line with the global brand strategy of the City Football Group. - 

Or 'allow us to change or we will pull out or at least pull back'

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Or maybe not, I didn't realize it said for season 2017/2018 not 2016/2017 so what are we wearing this season?

I missed that. Might mean that we get a new kit two season in a row? I would be annoyed if we wore our current one for another season.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Or maybe not, I didn't realize it said for season 2017/2018 not 2016/2017 so what are we wearing this season?

Wait, more to the point what does a "united brand refresh", which came immediately before that comment, mean? That all clubs have to change their colours to something different?

There's one good thing about this happening in a year's time - at least you won't have to use the vile monstrosity of a kit Nike have cooked up for us in the Premier League this season... 

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Wait, more to the point what does a "united brand refresh", which came immediately before that comment, mean? That all clubs have to change their colours to something different?

There's one good thing about this happening in a year's time - at least you won't have to use the vile monstrosity of a kit Nike have cooked up for us in the Premier League this season... 

I think the FFA is going to force everyone to redesign their badges along with the aleague one as well

31 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Wait, more to the point what does a "united brand refresh", which came immediately before that comment, mean? 

I think it means the cheque CFG sent to the FFA has been received and gone into the account 

At least we wont have to play in an away kit for home games now I suppose.

• Like 2

Logically it was always coming. So be it, if it means we finally get our own home kit then just get it over and done with. 

In saying that Im going to take this moment to have a whinge and say I still hate that corporate rubbish continues to make the franchise even more plastic rather than listening to what people really want and making it a club. You know, against modern football and all that. 

• Like 5

can someone please explain the logic in having brand synergy for a football club? ...or should I say, "franchise"

idgaf what we wear anymore but the obsession with having sky blue kits is ridiculous and I doubt it strengthens Manchester City's global brand significantly at all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Falastur said:

Small mercies

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Logically it was always coming. So be it, if it means we finally get our own home kit then just get it over and done with. 

In saying that Im going to take this moment to have a whinge and say I still hate that corporate rubbish continues to make the franchise even more plastic rather than listening to what people really want and making it a club. You know, against modern football and all that. 

Do we get our own home kit though? Or do we just get to wear the same kit as Manchester. It doesn't actually say. It just talks about brands.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Whatever does eventuate, did anyone seriously doubt that it wouldn't? It was inevitable, because one A-League club owner has access to more money than FFA plus the other nine clubs combined. 

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Spot on. Even Helen Keller could see this was coming.

No need for a new in or out thread. People should've decided if they were in or out as soon as the club was changed from Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City.

4 hours ago, Nate said:

can someone please explain the logic in having brand synergy for a football club? ...or should I say, "franchise"

idgaf what we wear anymore but the obsession with having sky blue kits is ridiculous and I doubt it strengthens Manchester City's global brand significantly at all.

All I know is for us it is logical to assume sky blue was always coming. In regards to your question I don't know what the logic is behind brand synergy for football clubs. It makes sense from a branding point for regular products (consumables etc.) but football clubs have such an emotional connection compared to them. 

4 hours ago, Nate said:

I get the impression that CFG have the idea in their heads that we will all start supporting the other city clubs too. And they can make 3 or 4 times as much money from us because we will start buying merch from all the citys as well as our own. And when we book our holidays we  factor in visits to other cfg owned teams and we can wear our Melbourne city shirts in Manchester or new york or where ever the else they they start a team and we will be welcomed like one of the locals because we are all family and we will all hug each other.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nate said:

My guess is they have people with bigger pay packets than us making these decisions. I suspect you totally underestimate the worth of brand value. Notice McDonalds is the same all around the world? 

6 hours ago, wombegongal said:

Notice McDonalds is the same all around the world? 

Notice how people dont feel emotionally connected to their local McDonalds because they are the same around the world because they are all virtually the same. One of the main reasons football is so popular around the globe is the fans feelings of pride and connection between club and community. 

Although modern football is consumed differently and much like a McDonalds chain, its customers dont feel any real sense of loyalty or pride. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Mc Donalds is actually different in each country FWIW.  

Not really. Although items on the menu vary, they spend millions of dollars ensuring that it all has the same undertone no matter what country you are in. So even though you are having a slightly different experience its still familiar enough to retain and carry a distinctive brand