Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2016

Dylan

29 minutes ago, haz said:

Pretty sure they would be re-surfacing the main pitches due to all those injuries relating to the pitch, as it was a copy of the soft Manchester training pitches.

Didnt it say in the notes from one of the Fan Rep meetings that CFG didnt buy this excuse?

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pm37 said:

With a long four month pre-season ahead, a range of international representatives and visa players will make their return to the training track in the coming fortnight as they return to Melbourne to begin their 2016/17 journey.

Lol all 2 of them.

I think the method behind the madness of a part of pre season in QLD is to (as close as possible) mimic the conditions we get during the season in terms of the heat.

Being the dedicated supporter I am, I'd love to have 5-6 pre season games here in Melbourne, but whatever CFG

11 hours ago, pm37 said:

Looks like we are playing a pre season game against Wellington Phoenix in Townsville 

You're really on the ball aren't you? This was announced on 22nd June.
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/melbourne-city-flying-north-as-part-of-new-bond-with-northern-fury/news-story/5767ad81bcd53233b052382c7d7277c4

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

True. But do all the fans of European clubs have to wait 5 months before they can watch their teams play again?

Between you and me I think were banned from playing NPL teams after some wanna be ultraz stole a banner (not fence banner even just like an advertising banner) from Port Melbourne. Possibly the most cringeworthy thing I'd ever heard.

4 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Between you and me I think were banned from playing NPL teams after some wanna be ultraz stole a banner (not fence banner even just like an advertising banner) from Port Melbourne. Possibly the most cringeworthy thing I'd ever heard.

Hahaha. Holy shit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Everyone complaining about the lack of pre season games in Melbourne :droy:

Such a small time AFL attitude. All European clubs play their preseason games all over the place. Townsville is perfect its literally the conditions we will be facing all season.

Our first three matches are in Wellington and Melbourne...

Personally I've heard enough from Munn et al. over the years about the virtues of various places such as Morwell, Lismore, Ballarat, the Gold Coast and now Townsville. I'm still pissed off over the club not making anything of the visit of Manchester City last pre-season (yes, I've heard all the excuses) and once again we don't seem to be doing anything whatsoever to promote the club. Meanwhile MV already have 12,200+ members.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Our first three matches are in Wellington and Melbourne...

Personally I've heard enough from Munn et al. over the years about the virtues of various places such as Morwell, Lismore, Ballarat, the Gold Coast and now Townsville. I'm still pissed off over the club not making anything of the visit of Manchester City last pre-season (yes, I've heard all the excuses) and once again we don't seem to be doing anything whatsoever to promote the club. Meanwhile MV already have 12,200+ members.

How many of those members will have been there 10 years plus? I would put it fairly high. The season is still months away, there is every chance we will still be playing preseason games here like we always do. They sky is not falling down just yet.

• Like 2

Melbourne Knights set to confirm Melbourne City friendly

Victorian National Premier League outfit Melbourne Knights are set to announce a friendly match against Melbourne City, to take place at Knights Stadium on Tuesday July 26.

Outside90’s understanding is that the game is pending Football Federation Australia’s approval.

The match falls in a particularly busy period for the Knights, who are due to face Oakleigh Cannons the Sunday prior and Melbourne Victory youth the following weekend.

If Tim Cahill is officially announced as expected in the coming week, the match could be the 36-year-old’s first hit-out in City colours, while other recent arrivals Manny Muscat, Dean Bouzanis, Bruce Kamau, Ruon Tongyik, Daniel Arzani, and Luke Brattan could also feature.

Read more

Tim Cahill to be unveiled by Melbourne City next week

Both teams have FFA Cup matches to further prepare for, with Knights welcoming Cockburn City to Somers Street on August 10. Melbourne City face a tricky test away to Perth NPL side Floreat Athena at Dorrien Gardens on August 2.

The two clubs have played twice before in 2011 and 2012, with the previously branded Melbourne Heart prevailing on both occasions, 2-1 and 2-0.

Melbourne Knights currently sit seventh in the Victorian NPL standings, but need a minor miracle to qualify for the finals series, as Andrew Marth’s men remain nine points adrift of Oakleigh Cannons in sixth.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, haz said:

I guess this is what having Cahill will provide.  Would Knights have wanted to organise a match with us if we didn't have Cahill?

Yeah its happened twice before already. One game I remember we almost lost.

• Like 4