Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

2 minutes ago, Chris p said:

A really odd state of affairs 

Yes and no. I think I've become reconciled to City Football Group regarding "the brand" as more important than short-term results for Melbourne City. Part of the brand is "City blue" jerseys, and I'm sure that's just one of the tradeoffs we have negotiated for taking TC on board and that we'll be wearing "City blue" next season. Let's face it, if results were the immediate and pressing concern for CFG then JvS would have gone long ago.

Just now, NewConvert said:

Not really, after all the FFA is paying part of his salary. And he who pays the piper...

I understand we're paying the bulk of it, and FFA chipping in with $1m. And next season TC won't be a marquee and his wage will go down to $400,000.

He's a marketing executive who runs around the pitch a bit. If he didn't score in the derby we'd all be bagging him out already. Barely gets involved in play and hasn't looked likely to score in any of his games. He gets drawn out wide to pressure but can't tackle and ends up way out of possession. I'd like to see him dropped for Caceras. Maybe come on for the last 20 mins in place of Bruno.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

He's a marketing executive who runs around the pitch a bit. If he didn't score in the derby we'd all be bagging him out already. Barely gets involved in play and hasn't looked likely to score in any of his games. He gets drawn out wide to pressure but can't tackle and ends up way out of possession. I'd like to see him dropped for Caceras. Maybe come on for the last 20 mins in place of Bruno.

I suppose it doesn't matter so much when we dominate position against them though. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, moops said:

He is alright, he does some good things, just need a few good crosses. But he does alright, he is more technical than I thought.

We're getting a mixed bag from Timmy but on balance it's hard to see what he's contributing apart from signing autographs. The problem is that our build up play is so lame that by the time we get a cross anywhere near the box he's got a shed load of defenders on his tail. He's probably better value at the moment coming fresh off the bench for about 1/2 hour. Otherwise he's been largely anonymous but it's not entirely his fault.

It's a combination of JVS not utilising him properly+ him not playing well.

It's also very hard too when our team is very use to bruno being the vocal point of the offence. And why would we go away from that? Hes scored another 2 tonight, we always said it was going to be tough to integrate them both into the team, maybe it is time as many have said, to bring him off the bench?

Watch him closely and you'll see he does the simple things right - knows he's old so can't drive so he passes forward to the wingers in space to get onto. But due to teams parking the bus on us - watch him, he draws the players out of Bruno's space so Bruno can turn and drive toward goal. If the ball goes out from Bruno the wingers, Tim is in the box ready to go as he drew the player with him to the far side of the box, on the opposite side to the winger with the ball.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...