Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

53 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

"So I've been here 5 minutes, yeah I know ... but what the hell is the go with this crazy Dutch fella who says he's the gaffer? Is he serious? Surely he's just helping out cos he's related to Scotty or something..."

First time I've audibly laughed out loud at the forum in a while, not even just a "exhale kinda heavily cause I read something funny on the Internet" a real laugh. Owe you a like 

• Like 1

A bit of a summary of Cahill's first day training. To his credit he is saying all the right stuff:

Tim Cahill joins Melbourne City for first training run since joining A-League club

David Davutovic

August 15, 2016

TIM Cahill revealed that he already feels energised by his decision to return home after 19 years and play with Melbourne City.

The Socceroos superstar today completed his first session with his new teammates at City’s Latrobe University base in Bundoora.

While excited about the impact he can make on the A-League, Cahill said ultimately wants to win City’s first trophy.

“It’s an exciting moment, it’s been 19 years since I’ve been back to Australia properly and I’ll actually play football,” Cahill said.

“I didn’t know I could feel like this as a footballer again, it’s very special. Just arriving in the country yesterday, it actually hit me that it’s real.

“I’m excited for big things here, it’s a really nice place to be. It feels good, I know it’s the right decision.

“The target will be at the end of the season, how can we create all the great goals we scored last year and concede less goals so we can be in the position we want to be and that’s hopefully lifting a trophy, or a few trophies.

“I think we’ll create a good ethos around this team. (Take) what they’ve already created into a team that’s hungry and going to get more success than what they did last year.”

Cahill was unveiled this morning with his new teammates getting a taste of life alongside the megastar, as a massive media throng watched on.

The striker, who last played for Hangzhou Greentown five weeks ago, said he felt good but still needed to get up to match fitness.

“I had a good training session today, the build up and shape, it felt good,” he said.

“It was nice to have a kick around after four weeks and it was really important to meet my teammates first before doing the press conference.

“For me my target is to get fit in two weeks, maybe three. My next target is to be on the pitch for opening game of the season and to help create a long-term goal of being competitive with these players.”

Coach John van’t Schip made no assurances that Cahill would be picked for the FFA Cup Round of 16 visit to Brisbane Strikers on August 24 but it appears likely.

He is on track to be selected for the Socceroos’ upcoming World Cup qualifiers, against Iraq (September 1, Perth) and UAE (September 6, away), which will be announced on Wednesday.

“It’s a bit too early to talk about that. We’ve got to monitor Tim to get him in 2-3 weeks in good shape,” van’t Schip said.

“We have to make sure that he feels good and that we don’t rush those things (when he starts playing).

“So we’ll see how it goes day by day. He’s been on a break for a few weeks, he did some light training himself but the body needs some rest and we have to monitor Tim now.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-joins-melbourne-city-for-first-training-run-since-joining-aleague-club/news-story/7a847329e3782214623e569f9217fe3e

Melbourne City buzzing as Tim Cahill signs

Ben McKay

August 15, 2016

Melbourne City want Tim Cahill's signature to complete the club's transformation from A-League ugly ducklings to top dogs.

The all-time leading Socceroos goalscorer enjoyed his first training outing for his new club on Monday, the first time since 1997 he's worn Australian club colours.

For City fans, there's never been a more hopeful time to be a supporter.

There have been other milestones such as the club's formation in 2009, its league debut a year later and the purchase by cashed-up conglomerate City Football Group early in 2014.

Then there was World Cup winner David Villa's guest stint later that year.

But it's Cahill's signing that completes the cycle.

The biggest name in Australian football is now playing for the club that used to treat players to ice baths in recycling bins.

Coach John van 't Schip said the club's evolution had City well poised to leave their mark this season.

"We are looking every time to improve," he said.

"We improved with facilities. We're improving with the quality in players. We signed Bruno (Fornaroli) up as a marquee. We got Tim in.

"But those are no guarantees to win a title.

"It's all about hard work. Dedication. Effort.

"The real attitude to have that winning mentality ... those things Tim all has.

"He's won titles. He has a winning mentality. He has a guidance for young players.

"He's going to help us. We're going to help him. In the end it has to result in that we can lift a trophy."

Luke Brattan, who joined in the off-season, has spent time with Cahill in Socceroos camps and hopes his professionalism rubs off on the entire squad.

"He's massive. A fantastic footballer and a fantastic bloke off the field as well," he said.

"He takes a lot of responsibility. He's a great leader and I can't say enough good things about him.

"I'm buzzing to have him here and can't wait to get started."

Another new squad member and fellow Socceroo Neil Kilkenny said the club was setting its expectations high.

"You don't want to go into a season thinking we'll come second. We want to come in and go for everything," he said.

"Hopefully he'll score many goals and help the squad."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/32340989/melbourne-city-buzzing-as-tim-cahill-signs/#page1

Cahill 'massive' for Melbourne City - Brattan

By Michael Huguenin

15/08/2016

Just one training session in and already City players are speaking in glowing terms about the Socceroos forward

Tim Cahill's new Melbourne City team-mates were impressed by what the Socceroos striker produced in his first training session with the club.

Having been without a club since his last match for Hangzhou Greentown on July 10, Cahill was put through a full training session on Monday and City midfielder Luke Brattan was amazed by the Socceroos striker's level.

Cahill has set himself a goal of being fully fit within three weeks, and judging by his team-mates' reviews, Australia's all-time leading goalscorer will achieve that.

"He looked sharp," Brattan said of Cahill.

"He was saying he hasn't done anything in four to six weeks. Me after a four to six weeks, I don't look like that, so he's looking really good."

Neil Kilkenny was also impressed by Cahill even if he did recommend patience.

"He looked good, and obviously with a couple more training sessions with the group and a bit more fitness, I'm sure he'll help the group massively," Kilkenny said.

Cahill has joined City for the next two A-League seasons and many pundits are predicting the 36-year-old will take both the club and competition to another level.

Brattan labelled Cahill "massive" for City, while goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen embraced the pressure that comes with having the A-League's most expensive player as a team-mate.

"I think we're looking even stronger than last year," Sorensen said of City.

"So we've got high hopes but, you know, you can talk about it - it's got to be done on the pitch when the season starts and the pressure will be on us with Tim and other players coming in, but I feel we're ready for it.

"I'm looking forward to it."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2016/08/15/26519542/cahill-massive-for-melbourne-city-brattan

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I am usually cynical about press conferences (well about anything really) but I couldnt help but being impressed with what he said and the way he spoke yesterday.

Same. 

This is what you should get as a bona-fide Marquee. 

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

I am usually cynical about press conferences (well about anything really) but I couldnt help but being impressed with what he said and the way he spoke yesterday.

I'm the same, I really don't pay much attention to them because they're usually just the company line being repeated over and over by a bloke who shouldn't ever have to speak to so many people at once.

Every now and then you get a savvy media guy like Timmy though, which actually makes it worth watching. 

I know everyone on here has fairly strong opinions on Tim's social media exploits, and people have constantly stated that all his posts just make him seem like a massive wanker, but now that he's here I love it. All his vision posts and posts about how much he loves his fans were annoying as fuck when he was playing for some Chinese club, but now that all of those posts are about Melbourne City they just make me so happy and excited to see him play. He may be a wanker, but he's our wanker

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

I know everyone on here has fairly strong opinions on Tim's social media exploits, and people have constantly stated that all his posts just make him seem like a massive wanker, but now that he's here I love it. All his vision posts and posts about how much he loves his fans were annoying as fuck when he was playing for some Chinese club, but now that all of those posts are about Melbourne City they just make me so happy and excited to see him play. He may be a wanker, but he's our wanker

Personally, I've always been in Timmy's corner and have no idea what those people banging on about him being a wanker are talking about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Thank you.  The older I get, the more I feel like the elderly judge who had to be told who and what the Beatles were...

One elderly judge to another in the Robing Room - "What do you normally give those homosexual chappies?"

To which came the reply - "Oh, usually two dollars and an apple."