Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

53 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Shit yeah.

Highly unlikely too young (under 35).

The rumours have it that he´ll leave Europe when his contract is finished after this season.. and he suddenly started following Man City on twitter which many found odd.
As a Spaniard he´ll be more tempted by MLS I fear though.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

2nd year under the cap is seriously good business by the club.

Fuck im pumped to find out who our last two signings are. 

I admit I had my reservations about the whole TC thing, but CFG/City and TC himself have handled it brilliantly.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I admit I had my reservations about the whole TC thing, but CFG/City and TC himself have handled it brilliantly.

This. Potentially it could have been a disaster  (cough cough Villa). But the way the deal is constructed and presented is in the least cringeworthy manner.

Obviously he hasn't played yet and that's were the biggest hurdle will arise (set up) but so far top notch. 

Evergreen Tim Cahill set for Socceroos’ World Cup qualifiers

David Davutovic

14 August, 2016

TIM Cahill looks set to be picked for the Socceroos’ World Cup qualifiers against Iraq and the UAE in September.

Cahill starts training with Melbourne City on Monday when he will be officially unveiled as his new club’s star signing.

City has only one official clash before the Socceroos’ qualifiers against Iraq (September 1, Perth) and UAE (September 6, away), the FFA Cup Round of 16 visit to Brisbane Strikers on August 24.

However Cahill is understood to have maintained an intensive training regime since leaving Chinese club Huangzhou a month ago, and FFA’s conditioning staff has monitored him closely.

Postecoglou said Cahill would be assessed this week before the squad was picked for the start of the crucial third and final phase of the 2018 World Cup qualifying.

“I’ll have a look at it and I certainly wouldn’t rule him out,’’ Postecoglou said.

“He’ll start training (at City) this week, we were still monitoring him and what he’s doing so we know exactly where he’s at.

“He’s the kind of player that can make an impact even if he’s not 100 per cent so I’ll make that decision in the next few days.’’

Postecoglou backed Cahill’s ‘shrewd’ decision to join Melbourne City on a two-year deal, taking him right up to Russia 2018.

City has transformed from A-League paupers into the best-resourced club since City Football Group’s $11.25m buy in 2014 and Postecoglou said he would be well managed.

“He’s going to be fantastic for Melbourne City to start with. It’s important he’s gone to the right club,’’ he said.

“The one thing that will help us is that I know he will be well looked after in a sports science aspect.

“He’s very professional on and off the field but he’ll have a really good infrastructure at City to make sure his body is looked after, which is key, and the league will suit him in that sense.’’

Asked whether Cahill, 36, would make it to Russia 2018, Postecoglou said it would be foolish to look too far ahead but said the Socceroos’ record scorer remained a key member of his squad.

“That’s still way down the line. We’ve still got to qualify,’’ Postecoglou said.

“All I can do is look at players’ form and impact within the group and he’s still a very important part of what we do, but in two years’ time who’s to say any of us will be there.

“We’ve got games coming up and he’s part of the squad at the moment and he’s an important part of the squad.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/evergreen-tim-cahill-set-for-socceroos-world-cup-qualifiers/news-story/31e25886772f0560b25b7bf0d854a19d

Exclusive: Tim Cahill speaks to Fox Sports News after arriving in Australia

14 August 2016

[ The whole video interview is here ]

SOCCEROOS superstar and new Melbourne City marquee signing Tim Cahill has touched down in Australia ahead of the new A-league season as the buzz around his return reaches fever pitch.

In one of the biggest coups in the A-League’s short history, the 36-year-old was lured home on a two-year deal understood to be worth about $3.5 million for the first season, with the move a massive boost for the competition.

While there’s no doubt City and the A-League will get plenty of bang for their buck, Cahill’s return has drawn criticism, with some believing his belated decision to return to Australia is motivated by an opportunity for one last payday.

It’s a criticism that understandably irks the 36-year-old who’s done so much to promote football in Australia and, speaking exclusively to Fox Sports News, he revealed how he plans to respond.

“It’ll take time to educate people and make them understand, but I really like to do my talking on the pitch like I’ve done internationally, and I think all part of my career I’ve made sure that I’ve done things tactically,” he said.

The 91 cap Socceroo will not only add to Melbourne City’s potent attack, but also give the A-League a genuine Australian superstar to promote the competition, a role that Cahill is keen to embrace.

“I think I can add a lot of value to the league and more importantly work on some of these amazing programs that I have for the last four years with Fox Sports and Foxtel, and really try to bring some growth to the game,” Cahill said.

The hero of three World Cup campaigns, Cahill has had enormous success building an off-field profile but he’s never let that side of his life sidetrack him from what he does on the field.

The star forward is renowned for being one of the most dedicated trainers in football and he said he was excited to continue to play at a high level is a sports mad city like Melbourne.

“It’s an exciting time, very special and I’m looking forward to it,” Cahill said.

“I think it’s been 19-20 years since I left as a young kid to follow my dreams, and to come around in the full circle, I have to admit it’s an exciting time for me and my family.

“It brings me closer to my mum and dad, my brothers, my sister. It’s special.”

Cahill will join his new teammates for his first training session tomorrow and said he was excited to get stuck into his inaugural A-League campaign.

“My first thing is I want to meet the boys and the staff,” Cahill said.

“I’ve been to the training ground already, but I think it’s important that I come in under the radar and be around my teammates and the staff.”

The first City game Cahill will be available for is the A-League side’s FFA Cup Round of 16 clash against Queensland NPL side Brisbane Strikers on 24 August, but does the Socceroos star think he’ll be ready to suit up by then.

“I don’t have a clue to be honest, you’ll have to ask the doctors,” Cahill said.

“I’ve still got a bit of work to do. I’ve had a month off and we’ll see how we go, but I’ve had some good family time now but also I’ve played half a season in China already, and we’ll see how it goes.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/exclusive-tim-cahill-speaks-to-fox-sports-news-after-arriving-in-australia/news-story/4d686ba23c6b62ed9bc1588c8bbfcb52

" Stay tuned for a big day City fans! Keep your eyes peeled as @Tim_Cahill arrives for his first day #WelcomeCahill https://t.co/NplR7HWVsN - See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news#sthash.v6dvGtvd.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news#IcSLRgqUJB9qvZdW.99 "

Also, as a side note. The last remnant of Melbourne Heart lives on in our youtube URL! mmxm.PNG