Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

1 minute ago, mulhollanddrive said:

Hope he performs, he was my hero 10 years ago and slowly turned into a snobby shit, so hope he can end his career on a high note.

Do have reservations about aerial play and bypassing Fornaroli.

Could be a classic big man quick man situation.  In from the wings, Cahill gets it in the air or Bruno gets it on the ground.  And let's not forget both are instinctive goal poachers.  I think it could work.

Well, that was no surprise at all was it?..

As for league integrity and making up rules as we go along, there´s no doubt a lot to be said about it.
One day FFA might adapt to having CFG as a club owner, because CFG will hardly adapt towards an organisation they might regard as well meaning, but nevertheless amateurish and coming to Melbourne City asking for money towards Cahill like this.. :unsure:

11 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Looks like Cahill has managed to exploit the FFAs desperation for publicity and MCFCs desperation for sky blue to get a massive 2 year deal. He must have some cunning management.

When you look at his club form, club level and age you wonder how such a thing is possible.

And yet i have a feeling this will be win for everybody involved.

17 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

And yet i have a feeling this will be win for everybody involved.

There's alot at stake. For all 3 parties it's kinda last roll of the dice.

1 club. After Villa and the list of failed ex soccerroo greats and the need to boost the gate.

2 Cahill himself. Will most likely be his last contract and if he stumbles his world cup aspirations are killed.

3 FFA. After changing rules adhoc in the hope of increasing the sale price of the tv rights if Cahill fails then not only their integrity gone but more importantly their commercial hopes.

Just hope this all ends well. And really it depends what happens on the pitch and that ultimately hinges on our 33% man. 

So all ends up the jury is out. But for me atleast were having a crack and who knows it may work 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

There's alot at stake. For all 3 parties it's kinda last roll of the dice.

1 club. After Villa and the list of failed ex soccerroo greats and the need to boost the gate.

2 Cahill himself. Will most likely be his last contract and if he stumbles his world cup aspirations are killed.

3 FFA. After changing rules adhoc in the hope of increasing the sale price of the tv rights if Cahill fails then not only their integrity gone but more importantly their commercial hopes.

Just hope this all ends well. And really it depends what happens on the pitch and that ultimately hinges on our 33% man. 

So all ends up the jury is out. But for me atleast were having a crack and who knows it may work 

Fair call.

Cahill will attract interest in a way that few other players can. From a marketing perspective it can be justified. It's just whether our club (and FFA) can leverage this interest in a long term sustainable way.

With CFG as an owner we should expect a tug of war with FFA (and other clubs) as part of the bargaining process for other concessions/deals - this is the 'big' world that we were not seeing under Sidwell & Co.

This drama is a fact of life in the football world - as much as I wish it wasn't. Egos, power, positioning - it's all in the mix. It can be a rocky, frustrating time for supporters but sure grabs media headlines for the clubs involved. Expect the Tards to be in our shadow come start of the season.

The FFA is hanging its hat on the Cahill signing to boost the chances of a better media deal next time. Yes, it will do whatever it can, bend rules, etc, to improve its chances. Can one man change the media landscape in favour of a better deal? Well as a supporter of Australian football I hope so but I think it needs to be more than just a one-hit-wonder exercise. The MLS showed that a Beckham can kickstart a league but it needs a consistent stream of quality players across a range of clubs to continue the momentum. It needs $$$$$.

If I had a choice of pissy, going-nowhere anonymity under our previous regime compared with the current circumstances under CFG and being able to get players like Bruno, Mooy, Harry and the occasional circus like Cahill then I'll get in for the ride with the current management regime.

Life after JvS given that this is his last season?

• Like 1

There is no player that is as known as Tim Cahill to the mainstream media and households anymore outside of Harry Kewell. The others weren't even known outside of football households. 

Tim is AFL, rugby, cricket territory known, after Tim, look at the Socceroos, my mates who don't follow the game couldn't name one player outside of Cahill.

Capitalise on the last known I say. 

• Like 2

Davutovic did say in an article yesterday (mainly about Fornaroli re-signing) Melbourne City is "set to unveil the Aussie legend this week" (source).

So Davutovic and Gatt are saying this week, and Sebastian Hassett is saying maybe later this month. Given that Hassett said one month ago that "an announcement is “imminent” " and that "he could be unveiled during the next week" (reported on the 13th of July), I'm more inclined to believe Davutovic and Gatt.

Edited by Murfy1

11 minutes ago, M13 said:

So many concerns on this thread..

Why not relax and just accept that Melbourne City/CFG are willing to take a gamble on Tim Cahill, after all..They only got money to lose eh?

If it falls over it will be more than money that is lost.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, M13 said:

Like what really.. What would be lost that MelC have right now?

Already our credibility is pretty much affected after the Villa debacle. Plus all the past socceroos that have came and basically failed. Kewell, Kennedy, Grella.

Just don't want us to be the place were good players come to retire.

CFG need to capture the hearts of Melburnians and it won't be done by gimmicks. 

So basically Cahill needs to produce on the pitch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jovan said:

Already our credibility is pretty much affected after the Villa debacle. Plus all the past socceroos that have came and basically failed. Kewell, Kennedy, Grella.

Just don't want us to be the place were good players come to retire.

CFG need to capture the hearts of Melburnians and it won't be done by gimmicks. 

So basically Cahill needs to produce on the pitch.

In fairness those Socceroos were on their deathbeds and trying to make a come back after injury/being out for so long. Cahill is still a producing player. 

6 minutes ago, pattyd89 said:

In fairness those Socceroos were on their deathbeds and trying to make a come back after injury/being out for so long. Cahill is still a producing player. 

It's also worth pointing out that MacLaren has looked completely at sea in the socceroos lineup in his few appearances, whilst Cahill is still banging them in for fun. 
Doesn't mean everything of course, but its certainly food for thought. Like most here, i rate Maclaren pretty highly.
I'm actually of the belief that Bruno and Timmy will actually thrive off of each other, only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

It's also worth pointing out that MacLaren has looked completely at sea in the socceroos lineup in his few appearances, whilst Cahill is still banging them in for fun. 
Doesn't mean everything of course, but its certainly food for thought. Like most here, i rate Maclaren pretty highly.
I'm actually of the belief that Bruno and Timmy will actually thrive off of each other, only time will tell.

I think timmy and tuna will get along like a house on fire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

omfg

I knew it the entire time but this, this makes me moist

where the fuck did you find it

New Article, says hes being announced Wednesday before arriving this weekend maybe a typo.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/tim-cahill-to-sign-record-8-million-aleague-deal-with-melbourne-city/news-story/226ae7e221837e3fa7203be3dc96ae2f

Edited by DFG_82